KoA: Reckoning - 20 Minutes of Action and More

Dhruin

SasqWatch
IGN has a 20 minute video demo of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, titled the "Brigands Hall Cavern Demo" and featuring developer input from Ian Frazier and Joe Quadara.
In other news, there's a new batch of Answers from the Team, which focuses on peripheral issues. A sample:
Q: When play-testing the game, do you get feedback from testers if they understand the plot and storyline/lore, or are you just testing game play? – By Falkon
A: Not only do we have an extensive team of Functional Quality Assurance testers (FQA, the bug hunters and breakers of the game) but we also have a team of Playthrough Quality Assurance Testers (PQA), or as they like to call themselves "Team Raptor".
The PQA team works directly with the design department and bridges a commonly open gap between QA and Design. Their work primarily focuses on taking direction from the designers on what areas to test, and provide extensive feedback on those areas. They have a weekly meeting with design leads where they discuss balance concerns, gaps in gameplay, and other things they feel generally don’t make the game fun! Along with PQA’s feedback on the previous areas, the entire QA department also keeps an eye out for any potential breakdowns in the story arc, plot, and / or other instances of unclear lore and dialog. – By Chris "CoreFracture" Coleman, QA Manager
More information.

The rogue game-play reminds me of Gothic in some ways, mainly how you use it in town settings for pickpocketing and looting homes. I think this one might end up being quite good.

Altough it seems a bit weird sneaking around unnoticed by anyone (e.g. see Gothic for what I mean), this game sounds like my cup of tea for me ^^ I'll look forward for info about plot, story, side quests, and if there's any C&C in general.

Looks decent. However I didn't like that they've borrowed that extremely retarded combat mechanic from Zelda and Force Unleashed where the game pauses for a fraction of a second when you land a hit. It's just idiotic and kills the fluidity of the combat.

They do seem to insist it's not really an action game, but they've certainly gone out of their way to satisfy that segment of the market. I don't like how efficient sneaking seems to be in full plate armor.

None too fond of the semi-WoW art style.

Looks like a more involved Fable to me - with a bit of Elderscrolls thrown in, and that's not really a bad thing. Not what I would have preferred - but diversity is always nice.

I hope that by "ridiculously huge", they don't actually mean a 25 hour game - which seems to be the new huge. A game like this is really best served as a 50+ hour game, if you ask me.

I hope that by "ridiculously huge", they don't actually mean a 25 hour game - which seems to be the new huge. A game like this is really best served as a 50+ hour game, if you ask me.

I think they said somewhere its about 100+ hours if you did everything however main story plot is about 25 hour mark. Bit like the TES games really.

I think they said somewhere its about 100+ hours if you did everything however main story plot is about 25 hour mark. Bit like the TES games really.

That sounds great. For some reason, I have a very hard time getting into RPGs these days, unless they're REALLY big.

Looking forward to this one.

After watching that vid, I'm surprised at some of the negative comments here...it looks great, sure a little actiony at times, but looks pretty deep. I'm sold.

Looks good to me. I'd prefer something a little less actiony and more obviously stats driven, but you can't ask for much these days.

Also - that looks god damned fantastic for an Xbox game.

This game looks great and its on my list. Hopefully it will turn out as well as it seems. This game plus Skyrim and Secret World are my top 3 games right now I am excited about.

I'm going to hate the combat, but everything else looks pretty neat. Hopefully, magic won't be as silly looking as melee.

I'm sold. They had me at over 60 abilities and hundreds of sidequests.

How many times have folks been disappointed by the somewhat bad combat of Gothic 3/Risen, Morrowind et al, but when a game tries to fix that by offering something that has fluidity and visceral satisfaction we get....more complaints. It never ends. ;)

Regarding the length, the official forums are sometimes visited by Curt Schilling, and he chimed in on a thread that was debating the maximum play length:

If you do all the content, at release, you can easily get 2-300 hours of gameplay from Reckoning, easily.

This has been confirmed by numerous interviews at Gamescom, where 38 Studios producer Sean Dunn threw out the number "300 hours" numerous times. One gets the impression that as they proceeded to put together all the pieces of the game, all the sidequests, all the faction quests, etc, that they were surprised at how big the dang thing turned out to be.

Another occasional participant in the forums is the lead designer, Ian Frazier, aka Tiberius. Below is a post he made in a thread that expressed some concern about the game after a non-flattering preview (actually the previewer liked it just fine, but they made it sound like primarily an action game). I think this quote gives a good overview of what the game is about, and whether it should be on the radar of hardcore RPG fans:

There seem to be two major controversial issues popping up in response to this article—the non-exclusivity of factions and the action-to-RPG mix of the game—so I'll try to speak to those:

Factions:
The six factions you can join in Reckoning are indeed non-exclusive. Provided you don't decide to run around murdering the quest givers, you can actually join and progress through all six factions. This makes sense narratively because they're not opposed to each other (they have certain relationships with each other that, but none of them are direct enemies of each other). If we had two factions who despised each other, we'd very likely make them exclusive, but since we don't, that doesn't really make sense for us. Apart from the narrative reasons, though, there's the overarching design consideration that we want you to have lots of different interesting storylines that you can pursue without feeling like you have to restart the game in order to see half of them.

That said, there are still exclusive choices that the player will have to make within these faction lines which leave a lasting impact upon your character. For example, you can change the fate of the Warsworn in more than one way. Depending on what course you ultimately set them upon, you may earn a "Twist of Fate," a permanent boost to your character that reflects the way in which you've changed the tapestry of fate.

Action RPG vs. Action Game with RPG Elements:
I'll be very blunt here: Reckoning is an RPG. That's how it's been designed from the start, and although we'd be thrilled to have tons of action gamers play the game (and I think most of them would really enjoy it!), we're first and foremost making this game for RPG fans.

We've taken a lot of inspiration from action games, and we've tried to capture a lot of the elements that make an action game fun and incorporated them into the combat experience of Reckoning. We want this to be a game where a fight with some Boggarts in the woods is something to look forward to rather than an annoying speed bump on the way to your next quest objective. But pouring love into the combat doesn't mean we've ignored the RPG foundations by any means. Reckoning is a game with 9 non-combat skills, 60+ abilities to invest in, character customization (with 4 races and 2 genders), an extensive loot system with hundreds of pieces of unique art, 6 factions to join, a crime system, 3 different crafting systems, and a huge world with literally hundreds of hours of content to explore—I don't think we're in any particular danger of being classified as an action game.

In conclusion: I do solemnly swear by the array of Ultima cloth maps on my wall that Reckoning is an RPG.

Ian S. Frazier
Lead Designer
Big Huge Games

Really looking forward to this one!!!

I watched the video twice last night. Not a hugh fan of the graphics but the rest of it sounds great. I love tons of side quests....hmmm come to think of it I would love a game called nothing but side quest..

How many times have folks been disappointed by the somewhat bad combat of Gothic 3/Risen, Morrowind et al, but when a game tries to fix that by offering something that has fluidity and visceral satisfaction we get….more complaints. It never ends. ;)

Risen has a great combat system, in my opinion.

For my part, I don't have a big problem with this combat system - but I can certainly see why many fans of traditional RPGs would be put off.

I'm not sure what the game is trying to do, but if it's supposed to be a believable and immersive world - then I, personally, don't think this kind of blatant arcade combat system is fitting. It might be very entertaining, but it will not help to support a serious tone.

Then again, if they're going for a light-hearted Fable tone or something like pop-culture WoW - then I don't see it as a problem.

It seems to be a case of catering to two traditionally VERY different audiences, and I'm interested in seeing if that's possible.

Dragon Age 2 tried something similar not long ago, and it didn't go down too well - or so it seems. Then again, it was a direct sequel to a game with a very different kind of combat flow - so that probably set some expectations bound to be unmet.

I kind of get the feeling that they're making this game to establish the lore and world of the upcoming MMO. I can but hope that they're not going to imitate MMO-type gameplay to fill out the 300 hour gameplay they're talking about.

A meaty 300 hour RPG with fast and entertaining combat would definitely be something for me, but if it's a grindfest with inconsistent gameplay and confused design goals, that's different.

We'll see :)

Actually 300 hours worries me! In this day and age I don't think any developer can deliver "meaty" RPG which last for 300 hours. No way! So my feeling is its going to be a grindfest :(

Back
Top Bottom