KoA: Reckoning - Optional Quest Icons

Whether I am right or not, 38 Studios involvement seems a positive thing. A quote from 2009 on why the project foundered before they were bought out:

Well yeah the art and writing pedigree comes from people 38 brought in. Really I can't think of the last game I played that consistently demonstrated NPC distress/need rather than either shoving it in your face or making you hunt for them.

Although Two World II did have a few moments midway through the first chapter where you would come across NPCs arguing about their dilema and another case where you stumbled across a live burial. For every one of those there were 10 job-board style side quests though so it wasn't exactly even. I guess in a large game it never will be - took me far too wrong to write my little example so I imagine scripting meaningful NPC behavior and conversation cues for each and every side quest in a game that's supposed to be this big would be unreasonable.

It does look interesting so far, though I'm a little skeptical about what I perceive to be differences in what the developers imagine they're showing us in the game-play previews and what I'm actually looking at. Same thing could be said for some of the Skyrim previews though I suppose - but I'm probably going to buy both of these around the time they're released. They do at least seem to be rather responsive to reasonable requests from the community though - case in point their response to the above threads.

I'm curious Alrick to to know why you think it is not?

I'm curious Alrick to to know why you think it is not?

Well to be fair to the game and Alrick, they spend as little time as possible in the character menus during most of the developer walkthroughs so it's not like they show you much of what he's referring to. At the same time, if you had 25 minutes to get people excited in your game then showing them the part of it that looks like a spreadsheet is probably only going to appeal to some of us who are old school pen and paper RPG nerds who spent hours creating characters in systems like Fading Suns VPS (or god help them - Rifts).

Sure, it'd get me more interested but I'm the kind of consumer who sees a spreadsheet inside his video game and doesn't think "that looks like work, WTF is that doing inside my video game." Maybe that should be a request in their official forums - screenshots of the character stat screens and menus.

I don't see why this is an issue. People here often claim graphics don't make much difference, and this is an issue where it's simply about graphics. Is it a need to feel superior to people playing WoW? No one's watching over your shoulder as you play games.

It won't make a difference one way or another. Who cares?

I don't see why this is an issue. People here often claim graphics don't make much difference, and this is an issue where it's simply about graphics. Is it a need to feel superior to people playing WoW? No one's watching over your shoulder as you play games.

It won't make a difference one way or another. Who cares?

The main reason I care is that in-game quest icons cheapen the other NPCs. You know right away that they are just filler. It also cheapens exploration. And there's also the immersion factor, although it's hard to argue that in a game like Reckoning when there are so many other aspects that are "game-y".

The thing is, I actually think that having optional quest markers is the ideal setup. I know there are going to be times when it's a weeknight, I've worked late, and I only have an hour or two to wind down. In those instances, I will gladly turn on quest icons so I can get right into the action.

But there will also be times when it's a Saturday morning, it's crappy weather, I've got the whole day to myself, and I will want to liesurely explore the world, talk to every single person I come across, and basically immerse myself in the game world. I really appreciate the option to turn off quest markers in those situations.

Why is it a bad thing to have more options for the player to tailor the gaming experience to their liking?

The main reason I care is that in-game quest icons cheapen the other NPCs. You know right away that they are just filler.
Only if you're hunting quest completion. In RPGs NPCs are just as important for lore and character development, without needing to be part of a flagged quest.

Why is it a bad thing to have more options for the player to tailor the gaming experience to their liking?
Because every change is a possible hiding place for bugs, and every step away from a consistent experience between systems requires additional QA and consideration in onwards maintenance.

Put simply, nothing's free. So it's a question of cost/benefit analysis, which it looks like they are doing.

Because every change is a possible hiding place for bugs, and every step away from a consistent experience between systems requires additional QA and consideration in onwards maintenance.

Meh… that way of thinking is why games are getting more streamlined with less options.

I'd rather have a more complex game with some bugs than another streamlined title where the devs just decided to play it safe.

Since when have quest markers and icons signifying quests become taboo. If you dont like them dont buy the game. You could also go back to the TES games then. Be happy at least there giving you the option to turn them off.

As for graphics they dont bother me. I like to complain as much as everyone else but save it for when the game comes out. It might surprise you or be just another flop in the game business.

I for one, am very happy they are giving us the option to turn off the quest markers above NPC's heads. Like Fantasm, I also feel it cheapens things to know exactly which NPCs have quests for me. I like to stumble upon quests by myself and not know before hand if someone has one for me. It also cheapens the exploration a bit, because exploring via talking to everyone you encounter is important in a game like this, whereas if you knew which people had quests you wouldn't feel as obligated to explore and talk to everyone. So anyway, I'm glad they are making it an option, as I will turn them off and never look back.

Is it a need to feel superior to people playing WoW?

Isn't that kind of like a "need to feel superior to chocolate bars." I mean you're either not a chocolate bar and therefore a person who shouldn't feel threatened by candy or you are a chocolate bar and leave a sticky greasy mess if left in a warm room too long.

Last edited:
A huge question mark above someone's head is not much of a normal thing in the real world, is it? Reckoning may not be the perfect world emulator, but I want my game as close to the real world as possible and that's why I don't want those immersion killing question/exclamation marks.
Moreover, I think it's a lot more immersive when a quest giver character shouts, cries, asks for help, begs, runs, comes to me and does a lot of other things to get my attention. A huge exclamation mark above a character's head is a clever shortcut for the developers to skip all of that stuff. They don't create animations, they don't record voice, they don't do anything. They simply create a character and put an exclamation mark above his head, and that's that.
I'm not sure why it's so exciting to know they have added an option to enable/disable this. A simple option to turn on/off those exclamation/question marks is not enough for me, because I already know what I'm missing.

Last edited:
Not so fast. Apparently the quest givers will still be marked on the mini-map. What's the point of turning off quest markers if they still mark them on your map? The whole point of turning off quest markers is so you don't automatically know who has quests and who doesn't. Having them still be marked on your map just ruins that.

Last edited:
Well regardless I'm still playing it and will most likely like it. All the fuss about quest markers. I have all the immersion I need in real life.

It's just another Fisher Price My First RPG game mechanic that cheapens the whole experience, that's all. To hell with immersion, it's just lame. And I don't like lame shit. But whatever, I'm in the minority I'm sure.

I'll also play the game and like it. I'll just ignore the mini-map or turn it off if possible.

I'm currently replaying 2W2 and then Skyrim, so getting Reckoning afterwords will give me the chance to play 3 fantasy based, open-world crpgs back to back to back. Can't wait!

It's just another Fisher Price My First RPG game mechanic that cheapens the whole experience, that's all. To hell with immersion, it's just lame. And I don't like lame shit. But whatever, I'm in the minority I'm sure.

I'll also play the game and like it. I'll just ignore the mini-map or turn it off if possible.

At least we agree we will like playing the game. To me that's all that matters. Games are all about enjoyment and if you not having fun playing its not worth are time.:handshake:

Back
Top Bottom