Last game you finished, tell us about it

Just finished Bounty Train. Decent game. However very unpolished. The layer of traveling around and trading is being hurt by a rather bad interface which requires you to make notes all the time and have a printed out map nearby. The layer of combat on the other hand is limited to two maps on which you will repeatedly fight the same battles, including a horrible AI for your own party, a missing music track and a lack of difficulty and tactical decisions.

Still a decent game, but too many flaws to be generally recommended.

Finally finished all endings for all factions in FO4, including one where all the factions are still alive except the institute. Definitely a lot of fun.

Though that was the most disappointing ending of all fallout games. In all the other games you had lots of slides and stuff to read. Not in this one. A very brief game over and a cutscene which was slightly different each time.

True. The ending slides all seemed identical to me. Pretty shitty writing Bethesda. But not surprised.

But the differing journeys to get there made it interesting, not the slides at the end.

Needless to say, I didn't enjoy killing off the factions required by each of the endings.

Last edited:
I finally finished Mass Effect 3. Bought it several years ago, but gave up part way in (I was a bit jaded after playing ME 1 and 2 so close together).
I found it enjoyable in parts, but overall… kinda meh. I don't regret playing it, but I don't see why people like it (or even the series as a whole) so much.

The cons for me:
  • There's only so much sub-par cover-shooting I can do. Seriously, does every mission have to devolve into that?
  • I hate dialog choices that result in your character saying something completely different from what you expected ("What? I thought I was going to say something complimentary. Fuck, now she hates me. Oh shit, now she's killed herself.").
  • Planet scanning gone from tedious to pointless. Just get rid of it, damn it.
  • Graphical presentation all over the place. (Seriously, some of the faces - especially the aliens - look great for their day, so it's odd how some of the faces I have to look at most often look like a creepy plastic manikin).
  • Fucking Bioware Points. Fuck those things right up the arse. There are a couple of story DLC I didn't bother getting because they required me buying $25 (NZ) of Bioware points each. If I wanted to play the inferior PS3 version I could get them for $6 each at times. (Yeah, given how deflated I felt after finishing the game, it was probably a good call not to buy them, regardless, but still…).

Anyway, umm, thanks for reading.

Finished D:OS-2. Like D:OS; I'll play again but probably in 8 or 12 or 16 months depending on patch rate. Game started with a bang and finished with a whimper (but I whimped out at the end - there is a non-cheating way to make the last fight easier).
-
The game is decent and the story much more cohesive but I thought that the last 1/3 was a bit confusing and contrived. Given more time (2 more years?) I think they could have greatly improved the later portion of the game.
-
Tactian was pretty hard - sure it will be easier the second play but it isn't trivial like D:OS - if you haven't played the game yet i would suggest one level below tactian (which is probably too easy if you are an experience player of D:OS but ….).
-
The character stories are very interesting and I recommend using one of the premade as your main (I used beast). I'd suggest Ifan as your main. I'll probably replay the ending one more time but my party isn't quite right due to lack of understanding of some of the rules at the start (there is an option to respect but i never bothered - so basically i ended up with what i started from the first hour).
-
One minor suggestions to make your life easier; on the harder modes - shields rock.
-
Oh yea i guess a rating of some sort if required: The game is far from perfect - I found the third island incredibly confusing - either i missed something with a week trip in the middle or there is some transition in the story that was missing. Also there are lots of bugs - most of them aren't game ending but you never know if you completed a quest and don't really understand why others don't complete (which add to the confusion).
-
There are lots of performance and technical bugs (I'm not really worry about FPS but I get lots of 'hangs' while the game is writing tons of cache files - mostly during necro-fire storms - and these are frequent - quite annoying. Also had a couple of hard crashes and infinite hangs (saves sent to larian).
-
Anyway I would rate it 8/10 but if the cleanup nameless/arx and fix some of the technical bugs 9.5/10.
-
As to the combat changes (from D:OS). I found combat more enjoyable (flexible) in D:OS. I like the new skills in D:OS-2 and appreciate the tighter balance as well as armour changes (yea i like these for the most part) BUT something is off with the implementation and I would much rather see the option for deeper trade offs that can result in more action points - things are a bit 'too tight' imho which makes it less fun.
-
The million dollar question is can they make it more flexible and elastic while keep the balance in check ?

Last edited:
Just finished Blue Reflection (PS4), it is a ... strange game. By strange I don't mean the story is strange, the game itself is. It's almost as if the game director ordered the teams to build the subsystems and then died just before he was ready to put it all together.

There are a couple of mini-games but they do absolutely nothing. There are stats like Attack, Defense, Speed, Tech that you spend a skill point each level, yet the character I had with less Attack was the one that did the most damage in my party. You have a bunch of friends and there is sort of like relationship-system but there is no calendar restriction so you can pretty much max all relationships whenever you want. Which is a problem because EXP is not tied to combat but to relationship advances. At some point I decided to advance relationships with my friends, gained like 20 levels without a fight, then the following 50% or so of the game I was one-shotting every non-boss battle.

It has good animations and cutscenes, but yeah, gameplay-wise, not that great. I would give it about a 5/10.

Divinity: Original Sin 2

So, finally finished this thing. To say it got pretty long in the tooth as the acts progressed would be putting it mildly. In the second half of the game, I think I spent half my time stuck in a vendor screen (or resetting said vendor w/ save scumming). Due to the attrociously bad item scaling, I would rate the game a 7/10; with an eventual patch (hopefully), probably a 9/10. The ridiculous scaling really does make the game *that* much worse. Yes, I'm aware of the mod.

Act 1: great fun, good pacing.
Act 2: starts intriguing but it just drags on - why did Larian put half the game in a single act?
Act 3: pretty much a pointless act, imo. Outside of a couple quests that advanced story arcs, the whole temple theme could have been completely skipped over and the game would have been better for it.
Act 4: decent act with good pacing! Unfortunately, because of just how much the game drags (in acts 2 & 3), as well as the item scaling that you're pretty much sick of by this point, I wasn't really interested in exploring so much as wrapping up the game as quickly as possible.

Good ending! Absolutely not what I was expecting. Will I replay it? God no.

Standout character would most definitely be my Geo/Fire-specced Fane; he could practically clear entire [Tactician] rooms solo.

I finished Metro 2033 redux. I was glad to complete it - I had been stuck on this one part in a later stage of the game.

I had played it months ago, and had given up in frustration, this level was pissing me off, because I couldn't get past it due to a combination of poor preparation (I was supposed to buy a bunch of items that I would need for the level in the prior chapter of the game, and failed to do so) and high difficulty in the combat (in this level they just throw a bazillion monsters at you, and you are supposed to hunker down, and just survive, and last long enough to trigger reinforcements that rescue you)

Anyway, I had really liked the game, so it was doubly frustrating. Then I found a great new service that gives game cheats to many games, and is safe to run, they have a good reputation, and I was able to turn on some available cheats that (finally!) allowed me to progress pass that part I had been stuck at.

It was a very good game, the standouts are the atmospheric game play, it is set in a post-apocalyptic Moscow after a nuclear war, and people now live in dank, dark subway tunnels to survive. The graphics, world design, and atmosphere were really outstanding.

I'm now thinking about moving on to the sequel, Metro last light redux, or may take a break and finish a different game first. I have way too many unplayed or barely-played games in my backlog, and am trying to play and complete some of these damn things! lol :D

I'm now thinking about moving on to the sequel, Metro last light redux, or may take a break and finish a different game first. I have way too many unplayed or barely-played games in my backlog, and am trying to play and complete some of these damn things! lol :D

Last Light is good too, although I liked 2033 a little more. I'd play something else in-between though because of how similar they are.

Act 2: starts intriguing but it just drags on - why did Larian put half the game in a single act?

Because Larian consider that there is only 3 Acts in the game: Act 1 is the prologue, Act 2 is meant to be the majority of the game story and Act 3 is the ending.

You realize there's 4 acts, right?

Sven, Larian's boss and DOS2 director, talked about 3 acts in the game. He was pretty clear the game length was split into act 1 (25%), act 2 (50%) and act 3 (25%) pre-game release.

How many regions you visit or boat trips you take isn't how the game is split into acts for the developers.

Divine Divinity was the same. Chapter 1, intro dungeon, chapter 2, the game, chapter 3, the ending area.

After cca 100 hours I've almost completed Assassin's Creed Origins.
What's that almost? That's fukn need4speed chariot races. I did "the tutorial race" just so I can write about it, but that filler garbage does not deserve to waste time on it.
Everything else, locations, main story and all sidequests I cleared.

Awsome (partially already present in WD2):
- More than 100 sidequests were never done this good in AC games, most don't feel like a filler and are connected to the main story while chaining on each other and in between
- The world map is not full of useless clutter
- The game went RPG direction (sadly not completely because of Ubi greed)
- The world presentation of ancient Egypt is visual candy
- Historical facts to learn from scrolls and rocks are not gamecentric
- There is plenty of humor

Good:
- Graphics in general, although it's not better than TW3
- Ambient sounds and FX
- Combat is darksoulslike which means easy peasy brain on a vacation, but the game won't force you to grind like in DS, all trashmobs including minibosses have weaknesses
- Eagle (or is it a hawk?) with it's view and it's useful for sneak/combat perk
- Apart from handheld quest pointers there is more stuff to discover just by exploration (example papyrus puzzles)
- Shipfights are as fun as were in AC:Rogue
- Except chariot races, K+M Controls are generally good although diving suffers from being mushroombased and feels clunky (mitigated with a skill not to drown for a long time)

Bad:
- Hair
- Social rubbish photos cannot be disabled by default
- Motion blur horror cannot be disabled
- Outfits and mounts have no stats. Both are cosmetics that lead to letdowns, for example winning arena bosses nets you certain outfits that are basically the same one recolored and it doesn't get you some stat boost nor better protection, this ain't RPG! Why is this so? Because Ubi insisted to keep it under microtransactions idiocy.

Unforgivable atrocities:
- microtransactions
- music is so low it feels as if was from cheap indies and not AAA title
- CPU hammering code
- scam schemes: preorder only mission, deluxe only mission and season pass
- presence of lootboxes in the game, maps not buyable without real $
- presence of need4speed racing trash (on top of that K+M controls are horrible in that "activity")

Hopefully I didn't forget anything.

You should buy the game. Not now. Wait till it's complete (season pass will bring apparently beefy postgame content with special bosses but also early assassins missions and quests) and wait for sale.
Remember that after you finish the main questline, ingame $ gets a better use than wasting it on stupid lootboxes. Besides the second best weapon in the game is not gambling based but you get it from a quest (sadly the best weapon you can get only from lootboxes).

The game is interesting, it's fun and if Ubi was brave enough not to push scams but instead give us a complete nobullshit game like AC:Rogue was or like Elex is it'd be 9 out of 10 perhaps even more if outfits played any role in combat stats or if the game contained c&c.
The game functions as linear RPG and it yells for choices/consequences system, however the setting where you're reliving someone's memories through a machine simply doesn't allow it. I mean, the protagonist says a few times he doesn't want to raid tombs, but cmon, I just want to!
Perhaps this "obstacle" can be somehow removed from future AC games in a way "what would happen in future if" or something. Till Ubi removes scamware and c&c happens:

7/10

P.S. Initially I wanted to punish the scam parts even more and slap 6, but IMO this certain thing was the designer's choice and deserves a whole + point:
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/11/t...s-already-built-into-assassins-creed-origins/
This is not the first time Ubi's actual game makers (not their silly CEO or whatever board of suits are pushing scams) feel fresh before something happens - WD2 contained a mission about hijacking hospitals with ransomware a month or two before it happened in the real world!

Last edited:
Finally finished Prey. Fantastic game, with one of the strangest game endings after the credits. Makes you wonder what happened to Morgan.

I thought I’d play Elex, and then download the patch today, and restart.

Nope. Even though it has 6 dvds, it has a steam installer that ignores the parts that have been patched and forces download of the patch as part of the initial installation. A 16 hour download commenced on my crappy adsl. So I picked up deus ex mandkind divided again. Playing it steathy nonfatal. Not sure when I will start elex now that I got back into DE.

Last week I completed Tales of Symphonia, which is an action type Japanese rpg. I tend to avoid the action types myself, being a bigger fan of the turn based jrpg's, but several people had told me I'd most likely enjoy this one, so I gave it a try.

The story was pretty solid, and certainly one of the strong points of the game. You collect eight characters for your game, four of which you can use and, for the most part, you can switch them out and use as you see fit. There are some spots where certain characters are required in the group, and since those tie well into the stories, they make sense.

If you care for the twitchy type combat you'll more than likely enjoy this game even more than I did. I will most likely try out at least one other game in this series at some point, assuming I can get it at about the same price point that I acquired this one at.

I'm like you, I don't care for twitch RPGs but I've played and enjoyed most 'Tales of' games I've tried (only exception was a sequel to one of them, Tales of something 2). I find they're borderline what I can handle as far as twitchiness goes.

Back
Top Bottom