Lebanon Diary

It sounds like everything is really nice and fun. What happened that was wrong ? Or did I miss something ?

I did kinda enjoy it, I just didn't like Sepia -- it was, as I wrote, flashy but impractical, the food was indifferent but overpriced, the service was bad, and it was way too full. (Come on, three chairs for four people who had reserved well in advance? Ridiculous!)

It was probably just a bad choice, although Tania did say that service in Beirut has gone downhill fast. I've certainly been to plenty of places I did like on previous visits. I particularly like sitting around in the outdoor cafés of downtown Beirut if it's a bit warmer.

Maybe it was just one bad place I guess ?

Could be. Perhaps it's also that Gemmayze was extremely hip right now; everybody just "has to" go there somewhere. That sort of thing does bad things to places. (I hear the residents are furious; I certainly would be, what with the crowds and bumper-to-bumper traffic every night.)

Yup, they're stuck all right -- ever since 1948 or 1967. The Lebanese government wants them out of Lebanon and back in Palestine/Israel, which is just about the only thing it agrees about. As to why there aren't (m)any groups acting out against it, that's pretty simple too -- most people who care about Palestinians want to see a just solution to the conflict in Israel-Palestine, and want to resolve the refugee problem in that context.

Put another way, consider this analogy: suppose there was a sudden upheaval in Romania, and 300,000 gypsies fled to Belgium. What would your reaction be?

I would suspect that your reaction would be fairly straightforward -- set up temporary camps for them to see that they don't freeze or starve, and then do everything you can to pressure Romania into sorting out whatever caused them to flee so they can go back home. If your impulse would instead be to welcome them with open arms, give the citizenship, and help them start new lives there, I would salute you, since that would make you a better person than most. (Me, for example.)

Well, I would say that that is what Israel did for a million Russians, and then hundreds of thousands of other Jews who had to escapre from somewhere.
But then you would say something about it increasing the population of Israel or something, and it would just get us back to some of our earlier discussions.

So let me continue with Belgium. Belgium would probably not take them in. And would as you say push for them to go back to whence they came from. However, after several years years of nothing happening, it would probably start trying to teach all of them either French or Dutch and slowly maybe start integrating some families onto Belgium, since otherwise all they're doing is taking money from the government and the camp would keep growing until squalor and poverty might make the place very dangerous.
This is not out of charity, but out of wellbeing of the state of Belgium and as such is better for everyone.

You wouldn't have to salute the Belgians, since they aren't doing it for those people, but for the country itself.

If after 20+ years of them sitting there on their asses with close to nothing, I would imagine something happening with them.

EDIT: I just want to make sure you know what I'm talking about so you don't think I'm going to stab you in the back or something... I'm drawing a parallel with Gaza, the West Bank and the refugee camps in Lebanon.

EDIT: I just want to make sure you know what I'm talking about so you don't think I'm going to stab you in the back or something... I'm drawing a parallel with Gaza, the West Bank and the refugee camps in Lebanon.

Sure, and it's not a completely bad parallel. The obvious divergence is that with Gaza and the West Bank versus Israel, we have the displaced facing off with the displacers; with the Palestinian refugees in Lebanon we have the displaced facing off to a somewhat unwilling host that received them.

Also, as I mentioned, it´s my personal belief that it would be best for everyone in Lebanon -- Palestinians and Lebanese -- if they just naturalized the whole mess of them and were done with it. It would remove a major source of instability in an already unstable country. However, the political realities being what they are, the likelihood of this happening without a regional solution is roughly nil -- it's squarely in the "why can't we all jus' get along" file.

At this point, I'd also suggest that if we want to pursue this branch of the discussion, we might want to start another thread for it.

April 12: Easter Sunday at Dahlia's

Note: Some names and personally identifying details in this entry have been changed.

We went to church in Badar, a modern building called Notre Dame des Anges. Aune and Selim got married there. The place was packed – a pretty diverse crowd consisting of about three-quarters Arabs (probably many of Syrian or Palestinian origin) and one quarter of Africans, Philipinos, and what have you.

The priest was a charming little old fellow with a white beard, who went on about how illogical and emotion-driven (and therefore altogether inferior) women are, pointed out the honor that God did to them anyway by having Mary Magdalene be the first to discover the Resurrection, praised her that she had at least the good sense to run off and fetch some men who were able to logically deduce that the only rational explanation for the empty tomb and the shroud was that the Christ was resurrected, decried the way the world lives in the darkness of atheism, rationalism, and scientism, and finished off with a rousing description of the miraculous Shroud of Turin and the scientific way the photographs of Our Savior appear on it. It's a shame none of us thought of videoing him; it'd make for a great YouTube clip – I had no idea relics like that were still around.

We left early, because we were expected at Dahlia's at 12:30. Shame, really. Strangely, Selim was the one who seemed most upset at the sermon – Aune and Joanna thought it was a hoot.

Dahlia, incidentally, lives in Ain el-Remmaneh – a Christian part of East Beirut, best known for being the place where Kataeb militias massacred a busful of Palestinians 34 years ago almost to the day, thereby sparking off the Lebanese civil wars that lasted fifteen years. There were some brutal fights there during the war, and being a relatively modest neighborhood, they've been slower at papering things over there than in many other parts of Beirut. Plenty of shrapnel holes in walls all over, and some skeletal ruins still here and there as reminders of the time when homes turned into battlefield features. Also lots of crosses stenciled onto street corners, to remind who's in charge. The general vibe is still strongly one of “Muslims not welcome here.”

At Dahlia's, all was more or less the same as ever. Dahlia had stuck to her usual style that once made her sister (who lives in San Francisco) buy her a whole new wardrobe for her visit on the grounds that otherwise everybody would think she's an aging transvestite. Billy's fake tan was, if possible, even deeper, and his dyed hair, if possible, even blacker. She's technically retired but still fills in at MEA; Billy is similarly busy doing whatever he does at the very small private airline where he works. He had some stories about the kind of stuff that goes on aboard those flights when Saudi princesses let their hair down, so to speak; as usual with Billy, though, it's not always easy to separate fact from fiction.

Tony had had a gastric bypass operation and had lost 45 kg. He had some kind of (unrelated) inner ear infection and was feeling pretty poorly; I'm not quite sure why he even bothered to show up – in his shoes, I would definitely have stayed in bed. He was still determined not to cancel the diving class he was supposed to do tomorrow – I hope he survives; he already almost died once when diving while under the influence of sinusitis.

Marie and Marolyn had both grown about a foot, and were showing off their brand-new Sony Vaio laptops – white for Marie, pink for Marolyn. For some reason, they're terribly bashful about me, hiding behind each other, furniture, or adults if I so much as look in their general direction. And two new turtles had joined the older ones on the balcony, and were doing great after being located to a different box since the old turtles had tried to throw them over the edge when placed with them. Territorial critters, turtles.

Henri was in a talkative mood, going on about politics – singing Obama's praises, predicting his imminent demise at Zionist hands, denouncing the constant meddling by Outside Interests that's holding Lebanon down, what have you. Tony's little brother Didier – the dyed-in-the-wool Aounist – went on about how Rafic Hariri made his fortune by selling his first wife to a Saudi sheikh for a million dollars. (You wish!)

We also heard that Dahlia's sister – the one in San Fran – had lost 300,000 dollars “because she thought she was very smart by giving all her money to the Jews – no, not the Madoff one, the first one that went bankrupt, what's their name, Lehman.” We were also introduced to Dahlia and Billy's new 42-inch LCD TV, bought on interest-free installments of only $250 for four months.

The food was superb, as usual. Dahlia always makes a set of staples she knows everyone likes, and one or two real specialties that make some people go “ewww,” others go “oooh!” and others “WTF?” On previous visits, we've had things like frog's legs, ram's testicles, and kebbe neyeh (raw ground meat with burghul and spices). This time it was lamb's trotters. They were rather disgusting, very gelatinous, not unlike Eisbein, but edible when drenched with a mixture of vinegar and garlic. The rest was fantastic – stuffed vine leaves with lamb chops, tabboule, hindbe, ra'at, liver in pomegranate and garlic sauce (we're going to try that; we got the recipe and the “debs al-remmaneh,” or pomegranate syrup), rice with nuts, chicken, and minced meat, basturma, roast beef, and probably a few others... and she said she only cooked for two days. In particular, her vine leaves are to die for.

Don't ever forget to add the hyphen in ra'at. Otherwise, sounds like a great feast.

I imagine eating obscure parts of animals, such as their feet, is an old peasant tradition in most places stemming from the waste not want not principal. My grandmother and grandfather loved eating pickled pig's feet and grossing the rest of us out.

In a strange way, I find the sexist sermon encouraging. I'm sure there was a time not so long ago when such a thing wouldn't have been seen as an outmoded or laughworthy position. It says a lot for Lebanon that those feelings are dominant, or is it just in a small segment of the population that feels that way?

Edit: For some reason that sounds patronizing. I really meant, I suppose, "it says a lot for Lebanon considering my perception of it as a Middle Eastern country with a hefty Muslim population." Please enlighten my parochial American brain on how out of sync this actually is.

Last edited:
Sure, and it's not a completely bad parallel. The obvious divergence is that with Gaza and the West Bank versus Israel, we have the displaced facing off with the displacers; with the Palestinian refugees in Lebanon we have the displaced facing off to a somewhat unwilling host that received them.

Also, as I mentioned, it´s my personal belief that it would be best for everyone in Lebanon -- Palestinians and Lebanese -- if they just naturalized the whole mess of them and were done with it. It would remove a major source of instability in an already unstable country. However, the political realities being what they are, the likelihood of this happening without a regional solution is roughly nil -- it's squarely in the "why can't we all jus' get along" file.

At this point, I'd also suggest that if we want to pursue this branch of the discussion, we might want to start another thread for it.

PJ, we have a problem ...
We agree on too many points :D

Note: Some names and personally identifying details in this entry have been changed.

We went to church in Badar, a modern building called Notre Dame des Anges. Aune and Selim got married there. The place was packed – a pretty diverse crowd consisting of about three-quarters Arabs (probably many of Syrian or Palestinian origin) and one quarter of Africans, Philipinos, and what have you.

The priest was a charming little old fellow with a white beard, who went on about how illogical and emotion-driven (and therefore altogether inferior) women are, pointed out the honor that God did to them anyway by having Mary Magdalene be the first to discover the Resurrection, praised her that she had at least the good sense to run off and fetch some men who were able to logically deduce that the only rational explanation for the empty tomb and the shroud was that the Christ was resurrected, decried the way the world lives in the darkness of atheism, rationalism, and scientism, and finished off with a rousing description of the miraculous Shroud of Turin and the scientific way the photographs of Our Savior appear on it. It's a shame none of us thought of videoing him; it'd make for a great YouTube clip – I had no idea relics like that were still around.

We left early, because we were expected at Dahlia's at 12:30. Shame, really. Strangely, Selim was the one who seemed most upset at the sermon – Aune and Joanna thought it was a hoot.

I don't know what emotion I'm supposed to have for this...
But to see more of these kinds of things, you should watch the movie "Religulous", it makes fun of religions in general, but mostly Christianity...

Dahlia, incidentally, lives in Ain el-Remmaneh – a Christian part of East Beirut, best known for being the place where Kataeb militias massacred a busful of Palestinians 34 years ago almost to the day, thereby sparking off the Lebanese civil wars that lasted fifteen years. There were some brutal fights there during the war, and being a relatively modest neighborhood, they've been slower at papering things over there than in many other parts of Beirut. Plenty of shrapnel holes in walls all over, and some skeletal ruins still here and there as reminders of the time when homes turned into battlefield features. Also lots of crosses stenciled onto street corners, to remind who's in charge. The general vibe is still strongly one of “Muslims not welcome here.”

This is I guess to be deemed part of the sectarian religious violence you've taught us about ?

---SNIP---

Tony had had a gastric bypass operation and had lost 45 kg. He had some kind of (unrelated) inner ear infection and was feeling pretty poorly; I'm not quite sure why he even bothered to show up – in his shoes, I would definitely have stayed in bed. He was still determined not to cancel the diving class he was supposed to do tomorrow – I hope he survives; he already almost died once when diving while under the influence of sinusitis.

Was he alright after his diving lesson ?

Marie and Marolyn had both grown about a foot, and were showing off their brand-new Sony Vaio laptops – white for Marie, pink for Marolyn. For some reason, they're terribly bashful about me, hiding behind each other, furniture, or adults if I so much as look in their general direction. And two new turtles had joined the older ones on the balcony, and were doing great after being located to a different box since the old turtles had tried to throw them over the edge when placed with them. Territorial critters, turtles.

Except for these two girls to seem extremely cute...
Is your wife's family quite well-off ?

---SNIP---

We also heard that Dahlia's sister – the one in San Fran – had lost 300,000 dollars “because she thought she was very smart by giving all her money to the Jews – no, not the Madoff one, the first one that went bankrupt, what's their name, Lehman.” We were also introduced to Dahlia and Billy's new 42-inch LCD TV, bought on interest-free installments of only $250 for four months.

I have to say I understand how these conspiracy theories start ...

The food was superb, as usual. Dahlia always makes a set of staples she knows everyone likes, and one or two real specialties that make some people go “ewww,” others go “oooh!” and others “WTF?” On previous visits, we've had things like frog's legs, ram's testicles, and kebbe neyeh (raw ground meat with burghul and spices). This time it was lamb's trotters. They were rather disgusting, very gelatinous, not unlike Eisbein, but edible when drenched with a mixture of vinegar and garlic. The rest was fantastic – stuffed vine leaves with lamb chops, tabboule, hindbe, ra'at, liver in pomegranate and garlic sauce (we're going to try that; we got the recipe and the “debs al-remmaneh,” or pomegranate syrup), rice with nuts, chicken, and minced meat, basturma, roast beef, and probably a few others... and she said she only cooked for two days. In particular, her vine leaves are to die for.

That's usually the case when going to some people's house who eat a bit differently than I do. They always have something prepared for me...

Well, I do like Middle Eastern food, have no idea what everything is called, but when I eat the things they usually taste good, except for stuff like intestines and the like :)

Seems like a real fun day :)

Don't ever forget to add the hyphen in ra'at. Otherwise, sounds like a great feast.

Ra'at are small pastries with a filling made of curd and, occasionally, herbs, or cheese, depending a bit on who's making them. They're really nice, especially the curd and herbs variety. She had also made spinach pastries which I forgot to mention -- they have spinach, summac (that's a very acid, red berry that's dried and crushed and then used as a spice) and pine nuts.

I imagine eating obscure parts of animals, such as their feet, is an old peasant tradition in most places stemming from the waste not want not principal. My grandmother and grandfather loved eating pickled pig's feet and grossing the rest of us out.

I've tried those, and the lamb's trotters were very similar really.

In a strange way, I find the sexist sermon encouraging. I'm sure there was a time not so long ago when such a thing wouldn't have been seen as an outmoded or laughworthy position. It says a lot for Lebanon that those feelings are dominant, or is it just in a small segment of the population that feels that way?

I think the country is really conflicted about it. There's a huge generational shift going on right now, about what happened in the West in the 1960's. Women are starting to work outside the home and pursue individual careers, but they're also expected to take care of the housework. When we're asked what we do for a living and Joanna mentions that she's a researcher at the university working on her dissertation, the default assumption by most men anyway is that I'm very nice to let her do that kind of thing to keep her little mind busy (and that she's probably trained the maid to be good at cooking). OTOH there are plenty of women who just don't want to deal with this kind of thing anymore. I'd say that in general Lebanese women are about 20 years ahead of the men in social mores, and that's causing a lot of tension.

Then, of course, there's the class and sect dimension. In some ways, the rich upper classes are the most conservative and the small middle class the most progressive. Perhaps a bit surprisingly, the rural Shi'ites have been making very fast social progress -- they're sort of fast-forwarding from the feudal middle ages to the late 20th century, or perhaps even something completely different. (I think that long-term the Hezb and Amal are digging their own graves -- religious integrism isn't very attractive once the population is fully literate, multilingual and open to the world, which is what these two organizations, especially the Hezb, is doing.)

Edit: For some reason that sounds patronizing. I really meant, I suppose, "it says a lot for Lebanon considering my perception of it as a Middle Eastern country with a hefty Muslim population." Please enlighten my parochial American brain on how out of sync this actually is.

Not that out of sync. Again, there are worlds of difference between groups of people there. In fashionable Beiruti society it's even somewhat cool to be openly gay (if you're also rich, beautiful, and connected, that is), whereas some clans in Beka'a still stone adulterers and have blood feuds going back centuries.

This is beginning to remind me a bit of an Iain Banks novel. :) So many cultures, classes, religions and backgrounds. It also reminds me a bit of Chicago as I knew it years ago--different languages within a few blocks, the Catholic church with services in English, Polish, Lithuanian and Spanish, the neighborhoods where each corner bar 'belonged' to its own group--only of course in a totally different cultural and geographical framework.

(I think that long-term the Hezb and Amal are digging their own graves -- religious integrism isn't very attractive once the population is fully literate, multilingual and open to the world, which is what these two organizations, especially the Hezb, is doing.)
I hope you're right. I know that all the openness and exposure to the world that television can provide doesn't seem to penetrate the armor of extreme religion-based ideologies here--it only seems to confirm their paranoia and give them form by the very nature of having something to resist. I honestly think some personality types can't survive without a narrow tribal identity and powerful black and white rule sets. The upside one hopes is that counterproductive and irrational rule sets eventually get outgrown by rational cultures, and the tribals become more and more marginalized.

This is I guess to be deemed part of the sectarian religious violence you've taught us about ?

Very much so. I doubt a random Muslim would get assaulted there under current conditions, but the hostility is very much there, under the surface.

A Lebanese comic writer and caricaturist did a really funny piece on Rania from Nabatiyeh (that would be a Shi'ite town in South Leb) moving to Ain el-Remmaneh, and how her new neighbors reacted. One of the frames had a kid going "but she *doesn't* have horns on her head!"

Was he alright after his diving lesson ?

Yup, still breathing.

Except for these two girls to seem extremely cute...
Is your wife's family quite well-off ?

No. They're part of the supposedly non-existent Lebanese middle-class. They have what savings they've managed to put together over a lifetime of salaried employment wherever they worked -- they're all certainly hard workers, so other than Dahlia's sister who just lost everything she had saved for her retirement, they're doing OK. (Said sister isn't going to starve either; she put off her retirement for a few years, and her husband does have a fair bit of property; unfortunately most of it in California real estate.)

What does that mean in practice? It means they have a nicely-furnished, two-bedroom apartment in a modest but not poor part of town, a 10-year-old car, enough money set aside to be able to maintain their standard of living after they retire (probably in gold, dollars, and euros stashed away in several banks -- I doubt they "gave their money to the Jews" as Dahlia put it), and they're able to throw some big family feasts twice a year including hiring a paid-by-the-hour maid to help with the cooking, washing, and serving, buy a 42-inch TV on installments, that sort of thing. I'd say that their living standards are comparable to middle-class European living standards about 20 years ago.

I have to say I understand how these conspiracy theories start ...

I left that quote in purposely, because it's not something I'd hear in most places, and I thought it was illustrative of the mindset of a particular group of people there -- not unlike the gender stuff I mentioned in my reply to mags, these are attitudes that are, perhaps, 20 or 30 years behind what I'm used to seeing here. "Jews = canny, good with money, not entirely to be trusted. Muslims = violent, dangerous, expansive. French = terribly cultured, even better than Lebanese Christians. Africans = make good servants."

The funny thing is that these people have no trouble ignoring these stereotypes when dealing with actual, individual people. Henri, for example, was born Jewish but converted to Catholicism, Cheryl, another family member who was not present at this gathering, is half Senegalese, and of course there are plenty of Muslim acquaintances, friends of friends, and business associates to deal with. I have noticed no difference at all in the way Dahlia or anyone else relates to any of these people, even though they always mention after they've left that "Oh, Henri, he's really Jewish, you know" or "Cheryl, she looks quite African, don't you think?" I have no idea how this thing works or what it actually means. I can just... well, report it, I guess.

This is beginning to remind me a bit of an Iain Banks novel. :) So many cultures, classes, religions and backgrounds. It also reminds me a bit of Chicago as I knew it years ago--different languages within a few blocks, the Catholic church with services in English, Polish, Lithuanian and Spanish, the neighborhoods where each corner bar 'belonged' to its own group--only of course in a totally different cultural and geographical framework.

I've often thought that Lebanon (perhaps transposed to a fantasy setting) would make for a fantastic cRPG background. You've got your factions, identities, conflicts, and 10,000 years of history to draw from, and if you're into that sort of thing, you could make any number of topical points. And it's really small.

I hope you're right. I know that all the openness and exposure to the world that television can provide doesn't seem to penetrate the armor of extreme religion-based ideologies here--it only seems to confirm their paranoia and give them form by the very nature of having something to resist. I honestly think some personality types can't survive without a narrow tribal identity and powerful black and white rule sets. The upside one hopes is that counterproductive and irrational rule sets eventually get outgrown by rational cultures, and the tribals become more and more marginalized.

Right or wrong, it'll be a decade or two at least before we find out. These things take time. But I do know that the generation of Shi'ites growing up now is radically different from their parents -- they don't have the sense of victimhood, many speak English or French in addition to Arabic, and they have a huge drive to succeed. Combine that with the general tradition of rebellion against authority that's deeply embedded in Shi'ite culture, and the turbans will have their work cut out for them.

There are a few, but it'll probably have to wait 'til the weekend -- my notes are a fair bit sketchier than for the former entries, and the chronology is a bit confused, so it'll take me a bit more work to clean up. (I actually had a very nasty cold until yesterday which kinda shut down my higher brain functions for about four days; I'm mostly back in business today, but I won't have time to get to it properly until Saturday.)

They pamper their (grand)children there. Plus, Lebanon is very show-offy. The Arab home is traditionally and in practice still almost invariably divided into a "diwan" and a "haram." The diwan is where you receive people; the haram is the private space. You will *always* find the diwan much more lavishly furnished than the haram. A Lebanese would sleep on the floor rather than have a tatty couch or a threadbare carpet in the diwan. So, if all the kids in the class have Macs or Vaios, these ones have to have them too.

April 13: Trek on the Civil War Anniversary

Tuesday. We went to Qadisha with Liban-Trek yesterday. Two buses, one for level 3, one for level 5, both full. There was no room for us on Level 5, so we took the Level 3. We drove into the North Lebanese mountain landscape east of Tripoli; the strata folded and warped as they were pushed up, then cut through by rivers and gorges. Past the small crusader castle at the mouth of the Qadisha valley, the moonscape of the quarries serving the Chekka concrete works, up through towns and villages, and finally down a tiny, vertiginous road that was much too small for our bus.

From there, we walked down to the Qannoubine monastery and church and the shrine of Saint Marina. Took a wrong turn at one point, and ended up at a very pretty overlook, but we had to backtrack a bit. Something else that's funny about these Liban-Treks – most of us Finns get something drilled into us at a very early age. It's often expressed as a stupid rhyme that can be roughly translated as

Do not shout and do not scream
Do not disturb Nature's dream!

In other words, that you're supposed to behave in nature like you behave in church – quiet and respectful.

They haven't heard of this in Lebanon. People tend to be noisy, especially on the easy bits of the walk. They sing pop songs, shout to each other, what not. This time, our guide first explained to us that the house just down the gorge is one where Liban-Trek often overnights. “Let's see if Abu Charbel is at home!” And he proceeds to yell at the top of his lungs “YA BOU CHARBEL! YA BOU CHARBEL!” and promptly replies an equally enthusiastic reply “YA MICHEL! ANA HOUN!”

I'm pretty certain that most of the length of the Holy Gorge of Qannoubine – a word that's an Arabized version of “koinos bios,” which gave us the word “cenobite,” which is a monk that lives in a monastery --, reknowned for its lush forests, steep cliffs, monasteries, hermitages, and other places of meditation heard that Abu Charbel was at home. Oh well, when in Rome...

The Qannoubine monastery used to be the center of the Maronite church for about 400 years; ever since they displaced some older hermits there, until they relocated to their current digs in Bkerke. It's a small warren of caves with some vaults and masonry added; the chapel is accessible to the public, but the rest was closed at this time. Some pretty but rather decrepit frescoes depicting the Christ, the Virgin, and a whole bunch of men with beards and rather interesting triangular halos. A very special atmosphere, there. Joanna says that in order to really understand the Maronites, you have to visit places like this. There's something to that notion, I guess.

The shrine to St. Marina is a very simple affair – just a niche in the cliffside with a chapel built around it. Marina's story is rather interesting, I thought. It seems that a man wanted to join the monastery, but he had a daughter, Marina, whom he needed to care for, and obviously the monastery wouldn't take girls. So he disguised her as a boy, called her Marino, and in they went. Many years later, a girl in a nearby village got pregnant, and accused Marino of the deed. The village elders declared as punishment that Marino would be exiled from the monastery and would have to care for the baby. So (s)he took up digs in a tiny cave nearby, and lived the life of a hermit there. Eventually (s)he died at a very ripe old age. The monks came for the body to wash and bury it, and obviously discovered that Marino was actually a woman, but had never said a word in her defense all through the years.

So they made her a saint, as a sort of a belated apology, I guess.

At that point, an elderly Lebanese-American with a very dignified expression and *very* impressive gut decided the going was too rough for him, and left the group with his wife and son; the rest of us continued a bit down the valley. Very pretty; also very easy walking since we were mostly just following a modern-day qanat – a concrete aqueduct running along the side of the gorge. Our guide pointed out a cave where an actual modern-day hermit has been living for the last eight years; he's Colombian – I would expect of Lebanese ancestry; otherwise why on Earth would a Colombian decide to come here to be a hermit? We left him alone with his contemplation, though, although I did find three heads sporting baseball caps poking over a rock wall in a photo I took of it, so perhaps he's not completely lonely.

After a picnic by the ruins of a house on the hillside we ended up in a small extremely Christian hamlet; some people bought yogurt, labneh, and eggs. Beautiful day for it – warm, but not hot, clear skies, a pleasant wind from the sea. The perfect spring day, really.

Liban-Trek seems to have more and more customers every time we visit. The first time there were maybe a half-dozen of us; now there were two times twenty. The guide mentioned that hiking is becoming more popular. I'd noticed that the environment figures rather prominently in most programs the parties are preparing for the June elections; perhaps some kind of awareness is dawning here too. Even so, there was a quite a bit of trash left by the trail, and the hamlet appears to dump all of its trash in a brook just below.

Today marked the anniversary of the start of the civil war. On April 13, 1975, some Kataeb militiamen attacked a bus full of Palestinian civilians in Ain el-Remmaneh (that's where, incidentally, Dahlia & co. live, and which still sports plenty of shrapnel and bullet holes in the walls, and some completely shot-up buildings). Apparently some drug dealers from the Ja'afari clan in Beka'a decided that it would be a good day for payback.

One of their sheikhs, a notorious drug baron, had been killed by the army a couple of weeks ago, when he attempted to force a checkpoint in a stolen car. (He had 172 arrest warrants on him, too.) The Ja'afaris had apparently agreed to a reconciliation barbecue with the Army, but some of them jumped the gun: they laid an ambush for an army patrol and RPG'ed one of their vehicles. Four killed, one wounded, and celebratory fire heard from the Ja'afari part of town in Beka'a. Some 86 French tourists were in the vicinity, and were evacuated to the home of the Minister of Tourism in nearby Zahle, who personally apologized to the lot of them. Everybody, including the Ja'afari clan, condemned the attack, and the pictures of the martyrs are on TV all the time. I thought something was up, when we ran into the army checkpoint across the motorway – they haven't had those since the Syrians left. Our neighbor Therese's mother was at her second home overlooking the valley, and seems she heard the firefight loud and clear.

I really wish everybody would just calm the fuck down. And that applies to the whole damn region.

Well, except for the last part, it seems like a real beautiful place to visit. In some sense it has the same kind of beauty Jerusalem has with all its ancient things to visit and see.

Should go there one day.

Do you think they'd accept people with Israeli stamps on their passport or would I have to get a new passport, if I ever plan a trip to Lebanon?

Back
Top Bottom