Lefty corruption....again

My only opinion on it is that it's too big and too serious to be just another partisan political football.

It needs to be taken seriously and discussed seriously instead of as a left/right food fight about whether it's manmade or not, and some attempt made to be responsible for solving whatever parts of the situation human beings are able to solve.

I'm sure this was never even thought of by a repub administration. (As a personal favor, I'm leaving off the eyeroll smilie)

Don't make me go dig through all of the evil Rachel Maddow's reporting for her episode on how many dozens of Bush appointees, etc, were actually indicted and incarcerated for every crime and bribe under the sun...we'd both die of outrage overload. ;)

Part of me believes that China may have the right idea by making political corruption a capital offense.

True enough, but we're supposed to be evil and corrupt. It's far more fun when you world-savers get caught with your hand in the cookie jar. :D

There's a few fundamental flaws, but there's a lot to like about the Chinese approach, Rith. ;)

I think temperature data from the last 100 years is important, but some errors in it can't refute the evidence that the Earth IS warming. You said yourself that one cannot ignore the fact that the polar ice caps are melting. We know that increases in CO2 cause global temp rises. We know man has increased CO2 levels. Therefore we know man has increased global warming.

Last edited:
Oh God yes. Rangel is up to his ears in the morass--this is just a teeny tiny piece of what they're looking at. I know there's something about some rental property, tax evasion, price fixing or something too financially complex pour moi, plus his fundraising is basically shovel dollars into a sack by the dark of the moon.
But then:
The 79-year-old Rengel, D-N.Y., has been in the House 30 years

so like that Alaska guy(Ted Stevens?), he's had a lot of time to work on his corruption and hone it to the fine art it is today.

How about this one? I personally find this satisfying and amusing in it's politicalspeak at the same time:

Rangel "steps aside"

He is "temporarily' stepping down til the ethics committee finishes either 1) whitewashing him (a bit unlikely but always possible,) or 2) finds everything he's accused of is fully substantiated. And what then, he's going to step back up? Looks like some fancy, face-savin pageant-walkin to me.

I was just getting ready to post the AP article myself. Sad thing is that he will probably get off the hook. The Ethics committee will recommend some slap on the wrist, he'll go back to Harlem with some "I've made mistakes" song and maybe even some Jimmy Swaggart tears, and be re-elected in no time. By taking a "temporary" leave, he can get his chairmanship back next term.

I don't know--it's possible, but I'm hoping the anti-incumbent sentiment raging atm induces a lot of the over 70 crowd to decide to let some younger blood into the equation. Though, as I know from experience, there's no fool like an old fool.

Maybe instead of term limits, we should be talking about age limits?

Yeah, that's what he was saying last night; i.e., he was against it before he was for it, before Pelosi brought the hammer down. I once said to you dte, that she didn't weild the power the right endowed her with, but I'm beginning to think I was wrong. She's shaping up to be one of the most influential Speakers of the House since Sam Rayburn, Tip O'Neil or Gingrich.

Rayburn was before my time, but you start mentioning Pelosi in the same breath as Big Tip and you're talking a huge hammer. Newt might have gotten a lot of publicity, but on real power and particularly endurance he couldn't lift O'Neil's gavel. Hell, Saint Ron had to kiss the ring regularly for O'Neil to allow anything thru his House.

Back
Top Bottom