Mass Effect 2 - Retrospective @ EuroGamer

I played all three in a row. Personally I thought the story was far and away the best in the first one. I didn't understand why they decided to change direction so drastically in part two. I would rank the first one as the best, the third one as the second best, and the second one as the worst. I didn't much care for ME2's tone and setting and it felt like a corridor shooter. The third one opened things up much more and the tone felt more consistent with the first (even if it left plenty unanswered). I didn't really mind the ending either.

I liked ME1 better, while still thinking ME2 wad pretty good. Thing is, while in ME1 you were protagonist of your own action movie, ME2 was rather a loose collection of stories where you played second fiddle to your companions. And the whole Collectors plot was just tacked on. But loved both of them. Unfortunately ME3 was a load of crap.

I don't want to go into BG/NWN comparisons... I liked those just as well, but they are sufficiently different that I think direct comparison might be just pointless. KotOR would be similar idea to Mass Effects, though, and I'd rate ME1 > KotOR > ME2 >>> muddy hole in the ground >>> ME3.

Sorry, but anyone who puts ANY Mass Effect game before Baldur's Gate needs their head examined. ;)

You saying Counterstrike and Call of Duty fans should… Errr… Nah.
It's all about taste. And IMO BG and ME games shouldn't be compared at all. ME is an action RPG. BG is not. So ME should be compared to other action RPGs. Or better said "action RPGs".
For example - Diablo. You tell me which one should be put before.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily place BG above ME in overall terms. They'd certainly be pretty close. One game is superior in terms of core gameplay and what it did for the genre upon release, but the other is a more powerful experience and has a much more compelling setting/lore. Also, I'd sooner replay ME than BG, but that's me.

That said, they're not really suited for a "serious" comparison.

So ME should be compared to other action RPGs. Or better said "action RPGs".
For example - Diablo.
That's not a good comparison either. Diablo is a "Hack&Slash RPG", where besides heavy clicking orgies everything is about character stats and gear. In ME you don't have clicking orgies, little character stats and hardly any gear.

That's not a good comparison either. Diablo is a "Hack&Slash RPG", where besides heavy clicking orgies everything is about character stats and gear. In ME you don't have clicking orgies, little character stats and hardly any gear.

I agree completely.

Diablo and Mass Effect are excessively dissimilar. I'd say BG is closer to Diablo than ME, by far - though that, too, is a completely different game.

That's not a good comparison either. Diablo is a "Hack&Slash RPG"
You're probably right, but still. Diablo is first click then think, maybe, just as ME. BG is not. BG is think, prepare, then click. ;)

In ME you don't have clicking orgies, little character stats and hardly any gear.
Actually… I don't remember many character stats in Diablo. IIRC there were less than in ME. 4? 5? Less than ME skills. :D
But okay, the number of different gear surpases not just ME but any other game.
Diablo would rank at the bottom of the pile for me. :)
Cmon, I don't believe you didn't have fun with it. And I don't believe you can't find a worse game.

Cmon, I don't believe you didn't have fun with it. And I don't believe you can't find a worse game.

Oh, I can find many games that are worse than Diablo.

Diablo was great for its time, but I don't think it aged very well. I certainly wouldn't replay it now.

I had hell of fun with playing Diablo 1 in LAN with buddies. I was just great. Well, maybe my memories are clouded as these sessions have always been accompanied by beer and heavy metal. ;)
Anyway, that was 17 years ago and my taste has changed (not for beer and heavy metal of course).

Tell me nothing. Back in the day I couldn't care less which game is currently running as long as there is enough beer around. :)

I call this game the beginning of the end.....and then end, all at the same time. What a waste to a promising series, and set a new low, even for EA.

I said this before:

Mass Effect 2:
Character development was unfortunately further simplified compared to ME 1 and shooting is way too easy. So the game is neither a true CRPG (in which character stats and skills really matter) nor a challenging action shooter (in which the player's twitch skills really matter). It plays more like an adventure game with some stats and some minor action for casual players.

Don't get me wrong - this game is fun after a hard day's work as a casual game, but please don't sell it to me as best CRPG after the year 2000.

It's a romance/friendship simulator with shooting. What a wonderfully enjoyable combination. C'mon. ;)

gunsnsex.bmp

Z

Z

@JDR: I just don't know what's so great about BG1 (there, I said it) ;)

I can understand for people who played BG1 at the time of its release it must have been quite a fun experience. But because I played much superior sequel first, it really dulled my BG1 experience. I guess ME1vs2 is also similar story for me. I played ME2 first, and absolutely loved cinematic experience, npc interactions, improved graphics and inventory system etc, just couldn't really get into ME1 in my first play through. I appreciated the story side of thing a lot more in my 2nd play through but because I was already familiar with the world & lore etc, nothing stood out beside story.

please don't sell it to me as best CRPG after the year 2000.
Nobody said that.
But I believe it's a CRPG shooter with the highest number of different DLC after the year 2000. :D

Ooh, Miranda in front of Corwin's house! Neat.

Back
Top Bottom