Mass Effect PC

I've continued with the game. Gotten pretty far in the main plot line now + dozens of side quests done. I'm playing a renegade infiltrator and I'm having a decent amount of fun every now and then. The combat is really easy - my sniper rifle will take pretty much anything down with a single shot before they've even started firing at me. The side quests are unbelievably boring most of the time.

But I'm trying to be as 100% renegade as possible, executing and threatening pretty much anything and everything. This is the best the game has to offer. Being cruel and unforgiving. The dialogue for these kinda encounters is fun :D

If the game is easy try the hardcore or insane difficulty. I did my first playthrough on hardcore and it was not totally easy - atleast on beginning. Insane gives you real challenge you propably wont make it through the beginning even.

You can enable all difficulty levels by editing some som file. Or play the game through on easy difficulty first (veteran) which I consider wasteful. The difficulty levels in this game are propably made for people who have never played any computer games before.

Most imporantly check your FPS (you can enable it through som console/file edit i dont remember). If you have low FPS like 10-20 the game will still run but it feels awful - especially the combat is craptastic. But once you get fps to 40-60 (I had to change gpu drivers) its a whole new game with smooth combat.

I heard today they are making a movie out of this game.

Last edited:
PJ was right. The game got better during the final quarter.

About the ending:
I got the renegade ending. The council died (because I left them to die :D ) and
the game ended with me being able to choose who should be the new leader of the newly founded human-only council that will lead the rest of the races in the war against the remaining reapers. I chose captain anderson. BTW... how does the war agains the reapers continue when they are in "the dark space" anyway?

And the final boss-fight... What a let down. There was this cool reaper "sovereign" apparition that talked to you in that research facility before you blew the place up - it was truly bad-ass with a shivers-down-your-spine-voice and all. Now saren WAS (in the end) somekind of physical manifestation of that thing, due to those new implants I guess - but they could've done much better IMO.

Did they tell you anywhere exactly why the reapers were doing what they were doing?

Anyway, glad I played to see it through. And I recommend a sniper-infiltrator-tech-commando type I played to anyone wanting to play this game, the sniper rifle is the most "fun" weapon in game and the tech attacks are pretty cool too.
Didn't care for the magi... ehm... "biotics".

Weheeel. Now that that's out of the way, we'll just wait for the EE Witcher to hit my mailbox and get right back to enjoying at least decent (hopefully) computer role-playing.

I am playing a game copy (to try it as a demo before buying) and first feeling wasn't good, I have a feeling of:
- A shooter with a ton of story, not a CRPG.
- The action ending to average standard shooter, any bit of tactical element added like teamates didn't work well and tend to break the action (I have no fps problem).
- A bellow the average story writing, too slow story progression, boring encyclopedia, teamates don't become appealing, cold story writing failing to raise suspense and get player interest. Too serious story writing, later I quote few touch of humor but mainly only always through few teamate comments or some of hero dialog options and rarely working well.
- Quests that aren't quests but another "follow the cursor" mechanism.
- Dialog choices that aren't choices but more the angel choice and the stupid evil choice.

I played it a bit more, get into the big city, quote few more negative points like a town that looks a bit empty and city life not as well done than what could have done some older games.

But at a point I realized the story got a bit more interesting and gain some speed, that life city had some good points like some event with player interaction spread in the city and dependent of time or of quests progression. Quests wasn't anymore follow the cursor stuff but you have to pick information from dialogs, search a bit, make few choices. Current quests list was increasing giving more depth to RPG mood. I quoted few touch of humor better done even if it's still a weak point with a story writing too serious and not good enough to allow it to be so serious.

I have to play more but it sounds like if I'm going to enjoy enough to go further than the demo and play it fully (so buy a copy).

@Zakhary: AFAICT they didn't give any answers to your questions. I figured that would be left for episodes 2 and 3 of the trilogy.

"There was this cool reaper "sovereign" apparition that talked to you in that research facility before you blew the place up - it was truly bad-ass with a shivers-down-your-spine-voice and all."

The only questions I wanted to ask during that conversation, such as: 'So, you're machines. Who created you?' and 'So, you're eternal. Were our scientists wrong about that whole big bang, beginning of the universe thing?' were impossible to ask. Instead they forced you to go "But whyyy? No! I won't allow you, I'll destroy you first! Waaaa!"

This is how I understand the Reapers and what they do: They farm us, just like we farm vegetables and so on, but on a much larger scale. They give us perfect conditions to grow as much as possible, and then they farm us, as if we're a bunch of potatoes, but with much longer cycles - instead of doing it 1-4 times per year, they do it once every 50.000 years (roughly). After all, what is 50.000 years in the history of the universe? Far less than a year to a human, so 50.000 years to them is probably a fairly short amount of time (if they truly live forever).

This is how I understand the Reapers and what they do: They farm us, just like we farm vegetables and so on, but on a much larger scale. They give us perfect conditions to grow as much as possible, and then they farm us, as if we're a bunch of potatoes, but with much longer cycles - instead of doing it 1-4 times per year, they do it once every 50.000 years (roughly). After all, what is 50.000 years in the history of the universe? Far less than a year to a human, so 50.000 years to them is probably a fairly short amount of time (if they truly live forever).

I'd have to disagree. I didn't get a sense of "harvesting" and nothing hinted at anything like that. I got the feeling of wiping-out. Extinquishing. Cleaning everything and anything organic that gets beyond a certain point of technological advancement.

They did not gain anything, they were doing it to prevent something.
Prevent something like the thing that created the reapers?
Prevent the birth of an entity/race that would or could resemble/rival themselves?
The reapers were created by something for something. As an experiment of advanced AI, Or weapons of war. Or perhaps they were created to do what they do now, try to prevent something from ever occurring again.

That's the feeling I got anyway.

I like Zakhary's explanation better than Maylander's, which IMO doesn't make sense for the reasons Zakhary explained. Either way, it wasn't explained. Presumably it will be, in future installments. I sure hope it's going to be better than "Because they're eeeeevil!"

Mass Effect 2 and/or Jade Empire 2 (which did better commercially btw ?) will propably be announced soon.

I'm propably more interested in ME2 than JE2... but JE was allright too - I liked the ending part.

But I'm way more interested in Dragon Empires (De, Me, Je... huh??? :D ) based on what I already know about the game.

I'm much more keen on JE2 than ME2. ME was, essentially, vanilla space opera, and there's plenty of that around -- not least the KOTORs. JE was kung-fu fantasy, and there's not much of that around at all, outside the movies anyway.

I would be surprised if JE 2 was announced, as long as that game has been out, it seems to me they would have done it by now.

btw: I just finished JE recently

I was going to start Mass Effect this weekend with the intention of finishing it, but I picked up a copy of Crysis:Warhead and started playing it instead.

Found an article regarding the Reapers: http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Reaper - very interesting reading. They clearly state "we impose order on the chaos of organic evolution", which might indicate that they are guardians of a sort, trying to prevent organic species from evolving in chaotic ways. However, that seems a little odd, considering how easily they could destroy such races before they even discovered the Citadel. In my opinion, they must be gaining something from allowing intelligent races to reach a certain point before "harvesting" them, or it simply makes no sense to keep doing this for billions of years. If all they wanted was to prevent chaos, they could merely map up what planets had the potential to gain intelligent life (a simple matter of atmosphere, gravity, distance from the sun, etc) and monitor it. Instead they let races become so advanced the only way to wipe them out is through a massive war (one they always expect to win, but still, a lot of hard work for no gain, when it could be done so much easier).

I'm using this thread ... Can I use the official strategy guide for Mass Effect xbox version for the PC port of the game ?

If so, what differences must I be aware of ?

Or are the differences too great ?

Sorry, no answer, just also abusing this thread :D.

I noticed that the game now costs $16 something. That doesn't look like a success. I might even spend that much and try it.

Lucky. Here still about 30 Euros, according to Amazon Germany.
Amazon Germany itself still charges about 50 Euros.

Astonishing.

I'm using this thread ... Can I use the official strategy guide for Mass Effect xbox version for the PC port of the game ?

If so, what differences must I be aware of ?

Or are the differences too great ?

Afaik, there aren't any differences concerning the storyline/quests.

Back
Top Bottom