Microsoft Games - Closes multiple Studios

SteamSpy's numbers for BG3 are ludicrous (32M).
What do you put them at out of interest? I would put it around 20M copies or slightly under. The reason I have revised it down from my previous higher estimates is I now believe the royalty numbers were significantly higher than I expected at somewhere around 12-15%. I think that was partially behind their decision to severe ties. Hasbro has made way too much money based on how little they have done i.e. not even creating the BG story/characters in the first place.

What do you put them at out of interest? I would put it around 20M copies or slightly under. The reason I have revised it down from my previous higher estimates is I now believe the royalty numbers were significantly higher than I expected at somewhere around 12-15%. I think that was partially behind their decision to severe ties. Hasbro has made way too much money based on how little they have done i.e. not even creating the BG story/characters in the first place.
In another thread here, about a month ago, I worked out some math based on Swen's recent comments, and I ended up guessing that it's most likely sold right around 20M or just a little less.

Nah my friend it's easier to blame the corporate boogeyman then look at the facts of why the studios chosen were shut down. I understand why Arkane Austin was closed though.

Well, seeing as how the "corporate boogeyman" (and their corporate stooges at all levels) made all the decisions - and then made the decision to close the studios and put hundreds of people out of work after all their previous bad decisions didn't bring in the desired mega-bucks - I'd say they are pretty much the right ones to blame.

Well, seeing as how the "corporate boogeyman" (and their corporate stooges at all levels) made all the decisions - and then made the decision to close the studios and put hundreds of people out of work after all their previous bad decisions didn't bring in the desired mega-bucks - I'd say they are pretty much the right ones to blame.
Ditto.

What's interesting is that they almost never seem to be driven out or fired. They almost always somehow manage to fail upwards.

Ditto.

What's interesting is that they almost never seem to be driven out or fired. They almost always somehow manage to fail upwards.

If ever an industry was in desperate need of unionization, it's the computer gaming industry. The employees get fired, laid off, and shit on so routinely it's a miracle anyone would want to work for a game development studio.

I suppose they could be blamed, but blaming is easy; it's more relevant to see the context of failure. Was it an external cause or pressure from above? Or was it poor organization, incompetence?

Note that the post you quoted missed the point of what it replied to, point which was problem here: people mostly on Twitter accusing, hating, and posting complete BS just because they can. When you start dissecting what they posted, it usually doesn't hold or lacks discernment.

That's why I don't bother with Twitter.

The "corporate boogeymen" also get to define the definition of "failure".

"You only made 10 jillion dollars in profits instead of 100 jillion! FIRE THEM ALL! Fuck them and their families!"

The "corporate boogeymen" also get to define the definition of "failure".

"You only made 10 jillion dollars in profits instead of 100 jillion! FIRE THEM ALL! Fuck them and their families!"
If you work on a corporation and see the projected numbers they expect, and wonder how exactly they came to arrive at such expectations.
Don't hold your breath to hear a rational explanation, that doesn't also cross over into wishful thinking and just bullshit logic of the kind: "aim for the sun, so that you at least reach the moon".
In short, neverending greed and endless growth mindset.

In other news, lol if true. I suspect the F76 players know P3 is Spencer's account?
1715254794855.png

Some of you have to much free time. Now I bid you all audios as this has turned into all the countless other anti-MS and corporation thread. Believe me they are abundant lately.

Some of you have to much free time. Now I bid you all audios as this has turned into all the countless other anti-MS and corporation thread. Believe me they are abundant lately.

Says the guy who always brings up corporations in these types of threads, usually in an effort to defend their shitty actions against their employees (ooops, I mean their EX-employees, since they keep firing them).

You have more free time than all of us put together! :p

We should have a special forum just for Couch where he is the only member. He can post all day and not worry about anyone ever responding to him! (Or as he says, "targetting him!")

I'm beginning to understand why he isn't on staff here anymore. :p

There are a few factors going on here. One is it seems to me there are more games then ever out there. I know for me, my queue is ever increasing and there are tons of quality games out there I would consider adding to my queue if I ever though I would have a chance to play them (I know I won't). So functionally I think there is a glut and a number of these studios would have probably closed at some point due to market forces, not enough demand, if Microsoft had not purchased them.

At the same time, I think what is happening is what some folks were concerned about when Microsoft went to acquire Bethesda and then even more so when it went to acquire Blizzard/Activision (regulators heavily scrutinized this one). They could use their market power to reduce supply of games by making less and thus hope to charge more. It sounds like that is their plan with GamePass by charging more and introducing tiers.

My guess is this one be the last of this.

RedFall was a pile of crap don't know how anyone can defend it's developers.:poop:

At least the main studio is working on a proper immersive sim game.

RedFall was a pile of crap don't know how anyone can defend it's developers.:poop:

At least the main studio is working on a proper immersive sim game.
Did you play it? I still got the game in my library, since I got it from gmg for cheap.
But it was mostly painfully average across all spectrums, for the couple of hours I played. It also had some bugs, but its main issue was that it was average.
And it obvious had its narrative scope and budget cut considerably. All cinematics are just images with voice over.
But saying it was a piece of crap is a bit of hiperbole. I'd give it a 4 or 5 out of 10. In co-op it would probably be a 5 or a 6.

But even if it were a piece of crap I still want it to be playable. Especially for the people that bought it.

Pfft...I'm all for Obsidian and Inxile being merged. Maybe they can finish games faster.:brood:

Anyway like I said already that expensive deal drained the coffers.
I’m not.

I don’t see that working out.

Haven’t the leaders of the two companies already worked together before? Only thing I’ve read was there’s a lot of bad blood back when Black Isle/BioWare & Interplay worked together. BG2 was a “miracle” back then because Interplay was so dysfunctional.

Hasn’t been stated outright but I have a hard time seeing them wanting to work together again.

Back
Top Bottom