Microsoft Games - Will buy Activision Blizzard

Phil is keen on having a variety of offerings so that gamepass has broad appeal. Thats the logic he cited.

Good logic, in my opinion. As long as subscriber numbers for Gamepass are strong and continue to grow, it doesn't matter if every single game on the service is played by or desired by every single subscriber. But if you put only certain genres or types of games on there, you will limit the potential subscriber base. It would be like a library deciding to only carry autobiographies and YA novels because those were the genres checked out most often.

Yes, I think that's where they're coming from. It's a different way of looking at things when your aim is the Netflix of games.

I'm actually a bit wary if the idea of the Netflix/Gamepass model comes to dominate. It effectively puts the power back in the hands of a massive publisher - if a studio wants to get anywhere, they'll need to get their games on those 'channels', with the big boys holding all the cards.

I'm more concerned about major publishers having all the IP and being effectively able to dictate terms to stores like Steam. Perhaps Valve should be buying up some IP of its own.

Can you please stick to Youtube with this sort of thing? It's pointless spam. If you have something to contribute and you're the first one to do it, great. Otherwise, keep it to yourself.

64th!

Back
Top Bottom