Middle East News 3

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1060947683&postcount=9

I'll refer you back to the post that started this tangent in the first place. I'm accepting the Ambassador's judgment as accurate, lacking any evidence to the contrary. Given the games Iran has played with the UN on this nuke think over the past several years, I feel confident that there's far more evidence that the Ambassador is correct than his being wrong.

I don't think I clarified that point well (and this is why i am annoyed the video is not up yet since I think his speech would be far better than the hurried notes I took). He said proven untrustworthy in the context of they're denying they are building a nuke but none of their actions are compatible with that fact. Specifically, he mentioned things like "if they really didn't want a nuke they'd take the deals Russia and China have offered to help build nuclear power plants but have uranium enrichment take place somewhere else". He didn't mean untrustworthy in the Kim Jong Il sense of agreeing to a deal with us, then kicking everyone out and demanding something because of our imperial aggression etc etc etc.

He was saying that one of our policy goals should be to get Iran to stop enriching uranium in their country (for the time being) because they haven't shown that they really don't want a nuclear weapon. However, he also followed this up by saying that it should not be a precondition for any diplomatic efforts.

...the video of the talk should be up early this coming week so when it pops up I'll put a link here.

There isn't a single word I can think of, but we were just talking about in the education thread -- it's what happens to kids if you continuously tell them that they're the best in the world even if all they do is sit on their asses and watch TV. "Inflated self-esteem" would be one way to express it.

I guess, no one word but: "Overrating ones self" or "Exaggerating ones self esteem"

My apologies in advance for invoking Godwin's Law.

What was the end result of WW2? Did Germany "manage"? What if Hitler's victory condition was to kill a million Jews before he himself was killed? What if Hitler's victory condition was to take a country completely crushed following WW1 and build sufficient economy and national pride to compete on a global scale? Do we need to re-write all the history books? Of course not--we deal in binary win/lose all the time.

Underneath that generalized win/lose are hundreds of specific instances (battles within the war, as it were) with a wide variety of results. Some are clear victories for one side or the other, some are stalemates, and some are "yeah, but" mixers. We still put it all together and come up with an "aggregate score" and say that the Allies won the war. I don't see that as strictly binary thought.

So, once again, the stated goal for Iran is to keep them from having nukes (the war). The proposed solution (the battle) is to negotiate to convince them to decide on their own to walk away from the program. Known fact is that negotiations with Iran will be hamstrung from day one by the determination (by our side) that they do no negotiate in earnest. So we're choosing a battle that we know is crippled before we ever get started. Negotiation is the enlightened approach.

OK, in the case of Iran, I'm conceding that a crippled battle plan might be the best option we've got. But to turn around and say that our goal all along was to let them have nukes but persuade them not to use them is dishonest. That's not the original stated goal; that's not our stated victory condition.

And, once again, let's take this back to the general case. I don't think it's out of line to say that negotiation is being held up as the end-all and be-all solution to every problem. So, in the case where one side does not negotiate in earnest, you're going to the job site with a broken wrench when there's another perfectly good wrench on the table. That doesn't strike me as enlightened in any way--that's just plain stupid.

That's the point though. They're lying because they have nothing to lose if they do right now. PJ's plan means they would have a large chunk of their economy tied into the US, EU and other nations... By then letting them know that they're going to get heavily sanctioned if they ever do get the possibility to even test their first device (nuclear device, that is) they would have to think twice about doing it and without one of these tests, they would not be able to get their hands on nuclear weapons.

I hope this helped.

Indeed, lying has worked quite well for them over the past few years when dealing with the UN. But this time will be different, eh? Sorry, but I'm just not buying it. Trust is a tricky thing--it takes many, many years to build and a single moment to destroy. We've got the past few years of destroying trust. But this time we're going to trust, eh?

As for your sanction hammer, it only works if you've got 100% participation. Are you really that certain you're going to get it? What if Putin is wanting to poke the US with a stick when the time rolls around? What if China picks that time to have another Tiananmen Square moment? Your hammer just went kaput after you spent a few years enabling the very event you're wanting to avoid. Wouldn't that be a kick in the ass? So, the sum total of teeth for the entire plan hinges on the entire world agreeing to sanction Iran. Talk about wishful thinking. You couldn't get that when the entire world watched the DPRK fire a missle. You think you'll get it because Iran maybe might sorta possibly be doing some naughty things under a sand dune somewhere? How'd that theory hold up in Iraq?

It's a question of honesty. Your conditions of victory are not what you state up front. For the Iran situation, you say you're negotiating to keep Iran from getting a nuke (that's a generic "you", btw), but in fact you're negotiating to be in better position to deal with them already having a nuke.

No, dte. We're still trying to find an arrangement in which they don't get a nuke. Did you even read what I wrote?

The central plank of my proposal is that we make crossing the red line of testing a nuclear device as expensive as we possibly can, and we work as hard as we can to get them to accept an inspections regime that retards their progress towards a weapon as much as humanly possible -- which, as Rith pointed out, is much more than simply having to keep an eye on the sky in case someone makes a random air strike.

A secondary effect is that yes, indeed, we will be in a better position if we fail and Iran does, in fact, get a nuke. I entirely fail to see how that is a bad thing.

It applies to the broader approach that I pointed out in getting this whole line of questioning started. You're lying about your goals, which allows you to lie about your score when it comes time to tally up. Because we always look back on history to determine who won. We don't look back to determine who "managed".

No, I'm not. My primary goal is to prevent Iran from getting a nuclear weapon if at all possible, and my secondary goal is to minimize the negative impact of a nuclear-armed Iran if I fail in my primary goal. Where am I lying about that? Accepting that a policy may not succeed and taking into consideration what that would mean isn't lying; it's realism.

Saying "failure is not an option" and therefore failing to plan for it is doubly pernicious -- it makes discussing the risk of failure more difficult (and therefore makes it more likely that the risk is underestimated), and it leaves you with your pants down in case you do fail.

Now, it's entirely possible for both sides to win since each side will assign different weights to all the aspects of the conflict. Mr. Tyson will win because they raise his hand at the end of the fight; I will win if I don't require a body bag. But that doesn't preclude the concept of winning and losing. And I shouldn't be telling the world that I'm going to win the fight if my actual victory condition is simply to survive.

This isn't a game, dte. We don't count points. This is about trying to find a way in which can muddle along on this planet while killing as few people as possible in the process.

Another consideration is that loudly trumpeting that we'll be OK even if plan A fails might make plan A more likely to fail. That's why we need Velvet Dagger and Rainbows Unicorns, and that's why I don't expect the people actually involved in the process to be entirely upfront about all of their motives. On either side of the dispute.

Maybe I misunderstood, but Prime Junta does not seem to say that the diplomatic solution aims at dealing with a nuclearly armed Iran. It aims at economically integrating Iran in order to provide bargaining power in order to stop them from pursuing their nuclear weapons programme. Right?

Right.

Specifically: the "speak softly and carry a big stick" rule works pretty well, but right now we don't have the stick. My proposed policy would work two ways: on the one hand, it would reduce the tensions that cause Iran to want a nuke in the first place, and on the other hand it would give us a big stick by giving them more to lose, with us holding the power to take it all away from them.

My apologies in advance for invoking Godwin's Law.

You're forgiven. Since the analogy is so obviously and patently silly, though, I won't even bother to address it. Skipping...

So, once again, the stated goal for Iran is to keep them from having nukes (the war). The proposed solution (the battle) is to negotiate to convince them to decide on their own to walk away from the program.

Close, but no cigar. The objective is to establish an unambiguous red line -- testing a nuclear device, or some similar "smoking gun" evidence of an advanced weapons program --, and make it so expensive for them to cross it that they won't. The minimal acceptable outcome is that they keep a super-secret weapons program going indefinitely, but they're never able to cross the nuclear test threshold and therefore produce an actual warhead. If they decide to make like Libya or South Africa and voluntarily come clean and shut it down, that'd be groovy, but it's not a success criterion.

Your binary mode of thinking is still handicapping you -- this time, you're looking for a nice, clean closure: Iran sees the error of its ways and makes like South Africa or Libya and voluntarily comes clean about and gives up its weapons program, or there's a big, cathartic war, or Iran goes nuclear. Either way, we get it over with. I'm saying that it's a better option to accept that there may not *be* any closure. Iran might be forever poised on the edge of going nuclear, and we might forever be dancing our little minuet to keep them from going over that edge.

Sure, *eventually* everything ends -- Rainbows Unicorns wins out and there's Peace In The Middle East where everybody (including Iran) gives up their nukes, there's another revolution in Iran and they decide to join the European Union (and give up their nukes), or tensions in the region go up so high that Iran goes over the edge anyway. But any of these closures would require massive changes in the conditions over there. We can wait for them to happen or try to nudge things in one direction or other, but we can't force the issue.

Known fact is that negotiations with Iran will be hamstrung from day one by the determination (by our side) that they do no negotiate in earnest. So we're choosing a battle that we know is crippled before we ever get started. Negotiation is the enlightened approach.

I think I addressed this in my other posts just now.

OK, in the case of Iran, I'm conceding that a crippled battle plan might be the best option we've got. But to turn around and say that our goal all along was to let them have nukes but persuade them not to use them is dishonest. That's not the original stated goal; that's not our stated victory condition.

And, once again, let's take this back to the general case. I don't think it's out of line to say that negotiation is being held up as the end-all and be-all solution to every problem. So, in the case where one side does not negotiate in earnest, you're going to the job site with a broken wrench when there's another perfectly good wrench on the table. That doesn't strike me as enlightened in any way--that's just plain stupid.

What's the perfectly good wrench?

As for your sanction hammer, it only works if you've got 100% participation.

Absolutes again, dte. I assure you that sanctions can be extremely effective even if you only get 50% participation -- assuming you have a good base to work from. If Finland, for example, was put under international sanctions and we lost, say, just the US and EU markets, we would be ruined, even if we can still trade with Russia and China to our heart's content. Circumventing trade sanctions isn't that easy, because it costs money -- and the point of trade sanctions is that they cost money.

Are you really that certain you're going to get it? What if Putin is wanting to poke the US with a stick when the time rolls around? What if China picks that time to have another Tiananmen Square moment? Your hammer just went kaput after you spent a few years enabling the very event you're wanting to avoid. Wouldn't that be a kick in the ass? So, the sum total of teeth for the entire plan hinges on the entire world agreeing to sanction Iran.

What if the US economy collapses and it can no longer afford to make military strikes all across the world? What if Iran develops or acquires anti-aircraft capability good enough to foil any air strikes? What if your entire army catches the swine flu and is home sick for the invasion? What if the American public just flat-out refuses to fight? Your "perfectly good wrench" isn't immune to contingencies either, you know.

Talk about wishful thinking. You couldn't get that when the entire world watched the DPRK fire a missle. You think you'll get it because Iran maybe might sorta possibly be doing some naughty things under a sand dune somewhere? How'd that theory hold up in Iraq?

Well, there is the little matter that Iraq *wasn't* doing naughty things under a sand dune somewhere.

Second, I believe that a threat of concerted action is credible *if there is smoking-gun evidence of an advanced weapons program.* A credible threat is better than a non-credible threat, and we can work to make that threat more... threatening. Iran would suffer comparatively little from sanctions now *because it's already isolated.* They just don't have all that much to lose.

This is a far cry from "not at all," by the way -- a trade blockade by the EU would still hurt them, so it's not like we're entirely without sticks at this time. I'd prefer to have a bigger one, though, which is why I want to give them more to lose from behaving badly.

You're repeatedly accusing me of binary thinking and then snipping away the parts that prove you wrong. Perhaps we'd better move on.

Fair enough, dte -- I'll take that as conceding the debate, then.

Better luck next time, and no hard feelings, I hope!

A nice lure, but I'm not taking the bait.

Funny, that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking when you trotted out Hitler. It's not only a cliché, it's also a really bad analogy, and a guaranteed way to sidetrack the discussion. Iran is nothing like Nazi Germany, and the insanely complex and multifaceted situation you're facing in the M-E is nothing like World War II. I'm just not going to go anywhere near that territory!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch: it seems something big is being attempted in the M-E on the Israeli-Arab front. King Abdullah of Jordan gave an interview to BBC where he's being anxious, threatening, and hopeful all at the same time. He says that there's a ginormously ambitious peace plan in the works, which would involve all 57 members of the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC). The process is being led by the Hopey-Hildebeest tag team. If true, this is the most serious push for peace since... well, since for ever, basically.

He's also saying that if it doesn't pan out, there'll be another Arab-Israeli war in 12-18 months. Either way, we'll have plenty to talk about.

[ http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8043144.stm ]

N.b.: Iran is a founding member of the OIC. Think of that for a moment. (Don't get too optimistic, though -- the odds are that this too will fizzle out.)

All in all good, but only if everything works according to plan, which is a very ideal case. So, maybe trying to get a casus belli to go at war with Israel again ? What do you think ?

Reads to me more like giving Israel one last chance to establish itself as a going concern in the middle east, even if they will inevitably throw it all away in favour of long term demographic trends spelling their ultimate destruction.

The arab states don't want to go to war with israel, they want Israel (and its western allies, or mostly just ally now) there as a demon figure to rally their people against in distraction from their ongoing social and economic issues. If the talks go the way they're almost certain to go unless netanyahu really suprises everyone and Obama takes some serious risks with reelection then arab nations will get exactly the pr tool they want for now.

Still, might turn out well. There's a papal visit to the area planned as well for all the good it'll do.

Seems that journalist has been released by Iran link

Bodes well IMO, there are a still a far few swivel eyed loons in Iran but at least there's a decent moderate lobby capable of over-ruling them.

All in all good, but only if everything works according to plan, which is a very ideal case. So, maybe trying to get a casus belli to go at war with Israel again ? What do you think ?

Like who, Jordan? I guess they could send those bagpipers over and really scare the willies out of the IDF.

Seriously, no Arab state, nor Iran, would win in a conventional war against Israel, and they know it. (Not to mention they'd be shat upon by the EU and the US, which they don't want either.)

It's not like they need a casus for a bellum in those parts anyway. I think he was referring to yet another Hezb-Hamas-style flare-up.

Still, might turn out well. There's a papal visit to the area planned as well for all the good it'll do.

We can always hope. -- I really wonder what the hell they were thinking when they picked this loon for the papacy. It doesn't really help that he looks just like Darth Sidious, either -- you practically expect him to start shooting blue flames from his hands when does that Papal wave thing.

The Pope's the Anti-Christ didn't you know!! :)

I thought the Anti-Christ was supposed to be a tad more effective than Old Ben Cenobite here. Wasn't I promised a world government or something?

Back
Top Bottom