Morrowind Morrowind with RTX On using RTX Remix

Nathaniel3W

Lead Developer at Rockwell Studios
Have you seen this? RTX Remix from Nvidia intercepts the rendering calls and reroutes them to a new RTX-capable renderer. Mod any DX8 or DX9 game with new geometry, materials, and lights. Nvidia recently showed off the technology in this video:
A full Morrowind overhaul is not currently under development at Nvidia, but you can be sure the Elder Scrolls modders are eagerly at work right now.

We marvelled at this when the new RTX series was announced in September, yes. :)

It's quite impressive. On the other hand, RTX is so taxing... the Portal with RTX seems to be so demanding that I didn't even bother to try, and the next-gen update of TW3 doesn't seem to fare much better. But maybe it's not necessary for those enhancements by RTX Remix.

I haven't tried the Portal remake. Is it that demanding? I bought a 3060 earlier in the year and it seemed to handle Control just fine. Then again, maybe it's funny that I think of a $400 card as entry-level, and don't expect top-notch performance from it, when that's the price of a whole-ass PS5. Anyway, maybe I should give the new Portal a try. And when someone eventually remakes Skyrim in RTX, I'll try that too.

I haven't tried the Portal remake. Is it that demanding?
Many reviews claim it barely runs at 15-30 FPS on a 3080. But new guides have appeared since I saw the mixed reception, and it's apparently possible to reach 60 FPS by carefully tuning the options. Perhaps the score will increase with time, now that people know it's a matter of settings.

Others claim that the graphic improvement is barely noticeable. The screenshots looks much better than the original though, so I'm not sure about that.

If you decide to try it, let us know what you think.

As an alternative, you may want to try Portal Reloaded if you haven't already, it's a free mod for Portal 2. The story isn't as good and fun as the original, but the puzzles are much better.

I'm thinking I probably won't play the new Portal if the only selling point is showing off a feature my card can barely handle. Thanks for the recommendation for the Portal 2 mod. I thought both Portal games were really funny and clever. Portal 2 though just seemed to go on and on and on.

Yes, there was a part that feels a little long in that huge area, where the only difficulty was to spot the right walls to place portals or bouncing slime. Even without that I think it was longer than the first. They're both great games. Q.U.B.E. tried to replicate that, and it's not bad at all but it lacks the variety and the inimitable story element.

Back
Top Bottom