Most disappointing prequel/sequel/successor

I realized I forgot to mention NWN1 and NWN2. NWN1 for coming after Baldurs Gate 2 and giving me the impression it would be similarly well developed. "Import your character from Baldurs Gate 2 into Neverwinter Nights" said the loading message from bg2! Well that didn't happen and the campaign was very bad. Also no party management, bad graphics and forgettable companions.

NWN2 had so many bugs I couldn't play it with my legal copy as the dvd wasn't recognised. I had to download a no-cd crack to play my legit copy and rinse repeat download with every update. I had to get creative to even install the game from dvd. The campaign was poor and very linear with forced choices (like Pillars end of chapter 2 actually), the ai wouldn't turn off properly, some of the companions were forced on you and kind of insulting in their characterization, and the camera was pants. I can't believe I got so desperate as to think Obsidian could make a worthy infinity engine successor but who else was there at the time offering to make it.

Interestingly, many of the mentions here (like DA2) I enjoyed just fine. The one game, by far miles away from any other disappointing sequel I can think of is Heroes of Might & Magic 4. After HoMM3 which is a total masterpiece and the best of the whole series, comes HoMM4, the worst game ever in history of gaming.

That said, DA2 is definitely the worst game they've made since Jade Empire. Even worse than that, in fact.

Yes, it's probably the worst Bioware game ever made.

I totally agree with JE and DA2 being Bioware's worst games. But as RPGFool stated, I wouldn't call it Bioware hatred. I don't particularly hate the company, I just dislike most of the games they produced as they are going in a direction that does not interest me any longer.

EDIT: I can't see RPGFool's post now D:

Last edited:
Oblivion was really disappointing since it was hyped to the heavens and looked amazing in all the marketing material. The radiant AI turned out to be shit and the level scaling was horrible. Bandits in glass armour anyone? The story was meh as well. I guess it was a nice walking simulator though.

Oblivion Dark Brotherhood quest line was awesome...but that was the only awesome quest line in that game.

hmm, disappointing sequels/prequel. Deux Ex Invisible War for me I guess, I loved the throwable spiderbots through.

I totally agree with JE and DA2 being Bioware's worst games. But as RPGFool stated, I wouldn't call it Bioware hatred. I don't particularly hate the company, I just dislike most of the games they produced as they are going in a direction that does not interest me any longer.

Oops sorry. Deleted my own comment as "off topic" to thread -- but obviously not quickly enough. But you properly characterized the gist of my (now deleted) comment
that general agreement regarding disappointment in a single BioWare game doesn't imply and isn't the same as BioWare hatred.

No one accused you of hatred :)

But there are some people around here who tend to react with very, very powerful negative emotions when it comes to Bioware.

Maybe it's not hatred, per se, but it's certainly not rational - in my opinion.

No one accused you of hatred :)

But there are some people around here who tend to react with very, very powerful negative emotions when it comes to Bioware.

Maybe it's not hatred, per se, but it's certainly not rational - in my opinion.

This is precisely the "off topic" discussion that I was trying to avoid. Simply put, it seems to me that extreme characterizations of other's views as "very, very, powerful negative emotions", and/or "certainly not rational"; is just a case of "the pot calling the kettle black" IMO.

__

Fallout 4

Despite all the RPG improvements Obsidian made on Fallout 3, Bethesda just ignored everything in their infinite arrogance, choosing to instead give us a clunky FPS and sims title. It was my nail in the coffin for both Fallout and Bethesda games altogether.

This is precisely the "off topic" discussion that I was trying to avoid. Simply put, it seems to me that extreme characterizations of other's views as "very, very, powerful negative emotions", and/or "certainly not rational"; is just a case of "the pot calling the kettle black" IMO.

__

I was replying to someone else - and yet you go on about it. I'm not sure if that's an effective way of avoiding the discussion ;)

Only yesterday, we had a person openly admit he put several people on ignore because they praised developers like Bioware and Bethesda.

But I guess that's rational and not emotional in your mind, and that's ok.

In any case, you're welcome to your opinion - but I can't agree.

I was replying to someone else - and yet you go on about it. I'm not sure if that's an effective way of avoiding the discussion ;)

Only yesterday, we had a person openly admit he put several people on ignore because they praised developers like Bioware and Bethesda.

But I guess that's rational and not emotional in your mind, and that's ok.

In any case, you're welcome to your opinion - but I can't agree.

What I actually said was that your extreme characterizations of other's views as "very, very, powerful negative emotions", and/or "certainly not rational"; was just a case of "the pot calling the kettle black" IMO. I stand by that.

I also think that telling someone else what is "in [their] mind" is at best presumptuous; and an example of something unquestionably beyond rationality by anyone's definition…

__

Before I start one, do we have a favourite sequel/prequel/successor thread already? (I'm guessing we already have one of this type of thread already too)

Both would also make good polls if we haven't done them already IMO.

What I actually said was that your extreme characterizations of other's views as "very, very, powerful negative emotions", and/or "certainly not rational"; was just a case of "the pot calling the kettle black" IMO. I stand by that.

I also think that telling someone else what is "in [their] mind" is at best presumptuous; and an example of something unquestionably beyond rationality by anyone's definition…

__

I know you do - you don't have to repeat it :)

Let's get back to topic?

Before I start one, do we have a favourite sequel/prequel/successor thread already? (I'm guessing we already have one of this type of thread already too)

Both would also make good polls if we haven't done them already IMO.

Not sure - but that sounds like a good idea :)

Also, I have to add NWN2 to my list too.

My biggest complaint with it is the toolset. Its not easy, its not intuitive, and the files are way, way too large. Obsidian should have hired some experts in it to make sure they did things right and not trust their own talents. There was a clear culture that they felt they already knew what they were doing and didn't need outside help.

and the walkmesh file requirement was a real brain fart. It was fortunate because at least someone finally acknowledged that the use of third party files, such as haks, was a significant barrier to the casual game. Obsidian at least created an auto download option on Gamespy, something that Bioware never did.

Also, I have to add NWN2 to my list too.

My biggest complaint with it is the toolset. Its not easy, its not intuitive, and the files are way, way too large. Obsidian should have hired some experts in it to make sure they did things right and not trust their own talents. There was a clear culture that they felt they already knew what they were doing and didn't need outside help.

and the walkmesh file requirement was a real brain fart. It was fortunate because at least someone finally acknowledged that the use of third party files, such as haks, was a significant barrier to the casual game. Obsidian at least created an auto download option on Gamespy, something that Bioware never did.

You're right about the toolset. Obsidian almost managed to kill the modding scene through their incompetence.

But the main campaign was pretty good - if full of the usual clunky filler content that Obsidian do so well.

Without a Doubt the AddOn to Drakensang River of Time.

I ragequitted the first Drakensang back in the Days, so I haven't bought the Sequel at first. I bought it after a favourable review and the Game is one of my all time favourites still. Bought the AddOn as Day 1 Purchase - Boy, what a Disappointment, they set the standard for boring, repeating Quests on a whole new Level - asian MMORPG Designers would be ashamed to deliver a Quest like the elemental Ruins by that elven Town.

Oh, and both Neverwinters are bad out of the Box, you have to invest unholy amounts of time to mod them, but then both get really good.

Edit:
Finished Drakensang 1 during some RPG Drought, it isn't that bad if you don't have high Expectations.

I must be the only person on the Watch who found NWN a big improvement over BG ;)

I believe you were responding to Damien when you mentioned "hatred" and then got the traditional backlash. I dunno if you've had many conversations with Damian but the fella, while being a lovely innocent cuteypie love'nkisses and all that jazz, is not someone who's overly skilled in the arts of nuance and often tends to turn convos into some form of black and white. I guess you'll know for next time, know you have no excuse and are forewarned.

There was not one single aspect of DA2 I particularly liked, let alone thought was just ok. Whatever aspect of the game you care to mention, from the smallest thing to the biggest thing, I could write you an essay on why its shit. I literally could write a book on how crap it is if I chose to look at every single aspect.

However, another problem with the game is that it doesn't even inspire an emotion as strong as hate. It's just pure meh. Its meh distilled in a bottle as close as anyone's ever managed. While I could provide endless lectures on DA2's pitfalls at the drop of a hat, the game doesn't even inspire me to do that. I'd have forgotten about the game 5 years ago if it wasn't for gaming forums and threads like this [and the inevitable clickbait "hey guuuuuyzz DA2 is underrated" type threads].

I agree with you about Bioware generally SameDart, DA:O, however bastardised, was at least within the limit of recognisable cRPG territory. Playing DA:O was just a sort of comfort zone paint by numbers version of their usual format that had enough ok to good bits for acceptability, but it was clear the depth had mostly sailed. DA2 though... different level completely indeed.

I believe you were responding to Damien when you mentioned "hatred" and then got the traditional backlash. I dunno if you've had many conversations with Damian but the fella, while being a lovely innocent cuteypie love'nkisses and all that jazz, is not someone who's overly skilled in the arts of nuance and often tends to turn convos into some form of black and white. I guess you'll know for next time, know you have no excuse and are forewarned.

There was not one single aspect of DA2 I particularly liked, let alone thought was just ok. Whatever aspect of the game you care to mention, from the smallest thing to the biggest thing, I could write you an essay on why its shit. I literally could write a book on how crap it is if I chose to look at every single aspect.

However, another problem with the game is that it doesn't even inspire an emotion as strong as hate. It's just pure meh. Its meh distilled in a bottle as close as anyone's ever managed. While I could provide endless lectures on DA2's pitfalls at the drop of a hat, the game doesn't even inspire me to do that. I'd have forgotten about the game 5 years ago if it wasn't for gaming forums and threads like this [and the inevitable clickbait "hey guuuuuyzz DA2 is underrated" type threads].

I agree with you about Bioware generally SameDart, DA:O, however bastardised, was at least within the limit of recognisable cRPG territory. Playing DA:O was just a sort of comfort zone paint by numbers version of their usual format that had enough ok to good bits for acceptability, but it was clear the depth had mostly sailed. DA2 though… different level completely indeed.

No, I wasn't talking about Damian.

To be frank, I forget who's hating which company. It all becomes a blur after a while :)

But I have absolutely no doubt that SOME Watchers are overly emotional when it comes to certain mainstream developers :)

Back
Top Bottom