DA:I My review of ''Kingdoms of amalur 2''

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Dragonul09

Traveler
Being new here, i want to salute everyone here and i hope you are going enjoy reading my crap.
Now that we got past the pleasentries ,you may wonder why did i called this game KoA .

As well all know ,KoA was an interesting game but with so many mmo features that left so many people with a bad taste in their mouth.
The main problems were the fetch quets ,filler quests ,the leveling system ,mediocre story,grinding, the combat was pretty interesting tho but got a little tiresome toward lategame
All these ''perks'' are included in Inquisition but lord ,i tell you, they are worse to some degree.
So enough blabering about KoA and let's get this review started.

Graphics

We all know the famous frostbite engine and what it can do ,so the graphics are pretty good,but a little too colorful and stylish compared to it's predecessors.
-The environments are pretty nice and quite large but sadly ,they feel so empty that most of the time you never care about them.
-Facial animations are worse than ever and i'm quite baffled how could they achive such a feat.Most of the time my inquisitor was frowning and grining like a ''retard'' for no reasons .
-They improved the character models which is quite nice ,but you can see they recycled some animation from it's predecessors.

I'm not going to dwell too much on graphics because they are good ,but we all know that graphics don't make an rpg but it helps at building the immershun.

Sound and Voice Acting

-The soundtrack in this game is pretty sweet at times and it helps building that feeling that you are really there ,sadly the game doesn't want you there.
-The main problem is the voice acting,i don't understand how could they botched one of their main strength in games ,and when i mean botched,it got pretty bad at times.It felt like most of the actors didn't even tried to deliver their lines or didn't care ,or they were simply amateurs because compared to Origins and DA2,Mass Effect they are miles behind.
-The worst are the voices for the protagonist ,they were really bad at delivering their lines when comunicating with a companion ,trying to get close,they were just weak.

I don't know if the budget was a problem but this game was a big Meh in the voice acting department.

Gameplay

Like everyone else i'm going to yell HORRRIBLEEEE!!!

-Playing this game on pc is like playing a Flight sim without a joystick ,that's how bad it is.The tactical view is a mess and it's a disaster to get the right camera angle and this can be shown in so many fights where it's almost imposible to adjust the camera correctly due to size of enemy models and trying to click certain assets.
-If you liked DA2 combat, you'll probably like this. If you preferred the RPG style in DA:O, you'll be disappointed as not much change has occurred here.

Let's watch a small video that they made a few months ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Dp7HeW9vs

-Did you watched the video ? Now go and play the game..(waiting)…. and exactly,nothing from that video made it into the game,at least not in my game ,maybe it was a dlc promotion and i forgot to buy it…

-And to make it worse ,this game is based on grinding now and you will fight a alot,after a while i just gave up trying to fight smart and just went full retard agaisnt most enemies and hey,it worked.
-I'm not going to talk about classes ,balance because it's just not worth it,i played with a mage, which class they butchered ,having less spells than a facebook game.

I'm going to describe the gameplay in one word ''Disgusting".Feels like an mmo,plays like an mmo.

Story,C&C,Side quests,Companions,Content

And now we got to the culminant part of the review.

Can i just yell HOORRRIBLEEE!!! like in the gameplay section ? Yes i can,because it is.

-Alright, we got another game (typical Bioware title) where you are the only one that can stop everything ,but now you are not just a recruit trying to rise to power ,now you are fluffy and special from the begining.

-You are the only one who can do everything in this game,you are the only one who can collect 50 flowers for a mage,you are the only one who can slay 10 rams for meat ,you are the only one who can refund the game and get your damn money back(Yhea i tried and it didn't work ,not feeling like the chosen one now,eh?)

-Oh lord where do i start,i tried so much to feel involved in the story but i just couldn't ,the characters were so off and they kept throwing names of dukes and duchess that you will never meet in the game,they tried so much to involve you in their bland politics and give you some bland choices which are worse than the first neverwinter game.
-They told us you could visit the capital of Val Roycrap and what do we get instead ,we get a bland section with 3 bland quests for the whole game,well ladi ****** da,way to ruin an experience eh? but i digress.
-The story is subpar even for bioware standards ,i mean yhea, their games were cliche as heck but they were never like this game and Mass effect 3 ,it feels like they fired all the writers after they made mass effect 2 ,which was pretty decent.

C&C
-They told us that you have so many choices that will have dire consequnces,that you can shape the inquisition at your will,that you can change fate of countries ,that you can do so many things once you get to be the leader of the inquisition.Is any of this true? Maybe 0.5% ,because i got 4 choices along the whole damn game if i remember corectly and it didn't change squat ,only 3 sliders at the end of the game.
-You don't have a saying in this game,everything is shoved down your throat by your advisors and the only thing you can say is yay or nay.
You just feel like a puppet the whole game and you as a player because sometimes even the inquisitor does whatever the hell he wants ,without you having to chose a dialogue option.

This is the worst Bioware game to date in term of C&C ,replaying this game is absolutley meaningless,there is nothing to chose ,no factions,no twists,nothing.
Only to grind more power for the sake of grinding and pick more flowers,stones,herbs etc.

The replay value for this game is less than 5%

Side quets

-The only thing that comes in my mind is mmos and Kingdoms of amalur.There are almost no interesting side quests in this game ,beside the ones for companions but those doesn't count,because every bioware game had them.

-I'm fairly sure that 95% percent of this game is made of fetch quests ,filler quests ,kill this crap quests and the main problem is that you don't even get to talk to an NPC to get them.

-Almost every side quest comes from a lousy letter,a diary,by examining a body,touching a weird shaped rock and rarely talking with a peasant that has less than 3 dialogue options and yes the ''Bye'' option counts.
Even tho Kingdoms of Amalur had the same problem,at least most of the quests came from a voiced NPC and a pretty good voice acting as well.

Too much filler crap ruined this game ,for a while i thought i was playing Assasins Creed.

Another part of the game where Bioware failed miserably and tried to appeal the skyrim crowd.At least Skyrim had a lot of intersting side quests.

Companions
Never liked to talk about companions ,because it's always a matter of taste here.Some people like assholes,asskissers and what not.They were good,but the problem was there was no interaction between them like in the other games,they trew a few lines here and there and that's all.
They never felt like a team or something was off,i don't know.

Conclusion
If you like grinding,bad gameplay,mediocre story and poor interaction with the world,this game is 100% made for you.

And there goes 50 bucks down the drain.
And please, excuse my english.

The rating for this game?
5/10

Last edited:
I see a my new best friend candidate appeared. :D

Didn't play the game, all I know about it is that it respawns endlessly not just mobs but also chests with loot. Thus I'm prepared to believe your mediocre score.

Thanks for the review.

I played the game for a good amount of time before getting bored but I have to disagree on a lot of points.

My biggest dislike was fighting the terrain. I hate having to go all over the place figuring out how to get to a marker that is right there. I hate that shit.

I really disliked the dessert area where you opened the doors with crystals, as I hate when getting from a to b is a huge hassle. I hate jumping games or games with crazy jumping shit like Darksiders. Thankfully, this game wasn't at that level but going to a new map became a chore when I saw there was a lot of terrain I had to fight against so I just stopped playing.

Hello to you too joxer.

The main problems of this game are not the combat,loot nor the respawns.I would gladly play through all of these.But this is a bioware game ,they promised us so many things ,like tons of C&C ,dire consquences,interesting side quests,leading an army and so many lies that never got into the game..
I really think this game was meant to be an mmo but something went wrong during the production and they botched the idea.
They slaped a lousy sp campaign and called it a game.

At least they got my 50 bucks.

It's common knowledge the game was made to play online. I wont call it an MMO because a few other members threw a fit when I did a few months back.

Link- http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dragon-age-inquisition-began-as-a-multiplayer-only/1100-6423362/
"Weirdly, we actually had a project code-named Blackfoot which was the first game we had that was looking at Frostbite," Inquisition executive producer Mark Darrah told GamesIndustry International. "It was a Dragon Age game, multiplayer only, that was in development before Dragon Age II came out. That became the core of what became Dragon Age Inquisition, the techlines, more than any of the development, so we've actually been looking at [multiplayer] a long time."
Still I enjoyed the game and finished it twice already.:)

But what killed the studio in the end?
Publisher's decision to go singleplayer or customers' "why would I buy this filler/mediocrity"?

But what killed the studio in the end?
Publisher's decision to go singleplayer or customers' "why would I buy this filler/mediocrity"?
Well 38 Studios went bankrupt so It's quite obvious. ;)

When you waste more money then you earn your studio is doomed. They should have never wasted resources on the MMO game. That was a bad business decision.

Anyway this thread is about Dragon Age: Inquisition not Kingdoms of Amalur. My link above was to share information Inquisition started as an online only game.

It's the same thing that happened with Kingdoms of Amalur, but sadly EA didn't care if 38 Studios went under. They still make money on Amalur sales on Steam.

Last edited:
I knew that Inquisition started as an mmo only,but i think they were further in development than we think ,because everything about this game screams ''MMO" .

And another major issue is that a lot of content got removed: I followed this game from time to time since it was announced and i watched most of their videos and i realised a lot of content just dissapeared.

If you watch this videos you can see clearly that a lot of these "features'' never made it into the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8xJMWRI-cA#t=753
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/xc1qpq/dragon-age—inquisition-gc-2013—a-world-unveiled
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/31/eyes-on-dragon-age-inquisition/

Some valid complaints from a dude ,that realised the same things.
-Regional choices were cut from the game in favour of linear progression through an area. From each area having an interactive storyline to areas serving more as standard RPG areas, that basicly just serve to level and gear up. The two examples that we know of that show this change are Crestwood and the Western Approach. In both cases we were shown the possible choices you could make. In Crestwood you had a choice between protecting a keep or Crestwood village. While Western Approach had you make stronghold choice after liberating the warden keep there, I'll get back to that later on, and opening up a new area by using your agents. I can only assume that Bioware had plans for each region to have its own storyline with important choices that would in turn have had a profound effect. "Gut-wrenching choices" as Bioware explained it.

-A year ago Bioware had designed the game with a larger focus on managing your forces. Different forces being able to strengthen the Inquisition in different ways and you having to choose how to best manage your limited amount of agents/power. This role was presumably moved over to your advisor missions, in its limited fashion. The changes to the Inquisition forces leads me to the next point.

- Bioware had plans for a completely different stronghold/outpost system than what is currently in the game. As mentioned before, they showed players being able to make important choices on how to deal with captured strongholds: Have it focus on economy, military or espionage. Improve the stronghold by adding ressource buildings to it etc. As opposed to what we have now that have the keeps serve as quest and vendor areas.

They never mention that those things were left out and they just blatantly lied about their product.

Back
Top Bottom