My Two Worlds 2 Review

Nope, those are all links to the demo of the first TW game.

I did a search, but I couldn't find a downloadable version of a TWII demo.

This thread bring back my curiosity to TW2, when I bought it and tried it, it didn't run on my computer. But I changed my video card, and now it works fine.

I have been impressed by the performance of the Mac version, my computer is almost 5 years old. I didn't finished the very long tutorial but I think I stopped at its end when you learn crafting. There have been worse RPG tutorial but it's still too long and too linear. Anyway the feeling is hugely different than what I remember of TW1. The voices aren't as bad than in TW1 but still not good at all in my language, but it's not enough to spoil the fun. I paused it to play DA2 but clearly it won't be like TW1 that I throw to trash rather fast, and I'll play TW2 much longer. Even fights seem fairly good, if past the tutorial there's more freedom it can be a game I'll really enjoy.

Freedom is nearly complete after tutorial island, with one caveat: You can only travel to the next island each time, but the islands are all HUGE and there are dozens and dozens of quests on each one. Once you've unlocked an island, you can always go back and finish up quests, buy more goods, etc. Whenever I run out of crafting materials, I generally go back and rob houses. I got caught thieving in one city, so they always try to kill me there. I guess I could just depopulate the whole place, but it's easier to just hit and run :)

How do you get caught thieving? Whenever I tried to steal in front of someone they just gave me a naughty look and the game moved on.

Freedom is nearly complete after tutorial island, with one caveat: You can only travel to the next island each time, but the islands are all HUGE and there are dozens and dozens of quests on each one. Once you've unlocked an island, you can always go back and finish up quests, buy more goods, etc. Whenever I run out of crafting materials, I generally go back and rob houses. I got caught thieving in one city, so they always try to kill me there. I guess I could just depopulate the whole place, but it's easier to just hit and run :)

In general I feel successive relatively large area a much better design than a huge one. But many modern RPG using such approach tend using somehow small area not favoring enough quality of exploration. But also quality of exploration and large area are two different things I hope it's well done in TW2.

It's fairly well done, Dasale. The game was rushed at the end, which is a trend for most European games and many American ones too. What seems to be happening is that the early islands are fully fleshed out and as you get closer to the end, there is less and less to do outside of the main quest. Remember Divine Divinity? 2W2 has that going on, to a lesser extent. I haven't finished the game yet though. I'm on island 3 or Ashos for those who've played.

Lol yes Divine Divinity screw up a bit the game game because of last chapter. Well also the beginning discouraged many players.

@DoctorNarrative By stealing, I mean the pickpocket skill. Opening chests in front of npcs will have them looking around but no alarm. If you get caught pickpocketing, the guards are all on alarm and you'll have to leave town for awhile.

Last weekend I was searching the insidetwoworlds forum's modding section and I came across two small, but very useful mods.

One is solving the humanoid creatures can't fight back problem. In vanilla TW2 you can bash to death humans and humanoid creatures with constant button mashing. Because your attacks can disrupt your opponents attacks, and if you attack repeatedly your opponents can't do anything. Well, no more. With this mode your attacks can't stop your opponents attacks, and fights are more challenging and fun now:

http://www.insidetwoworlds.com/showthread.php?t=32232

Other one is for respawning. I tired of constant spawning of animals and varns in the Savannah region. And I found this mod which decreases the respawn rate to zero. It works perfectly in Savannah. After I began to use it I have observed no spawning. If you hate respawning like me definitely check this:

http://www.insidetwoworlds.com/showthread.php?t=32799

Note: Installing the mods are easy. Only copy the wd files in "Your-TW2-install-directory"/WDFiles and run the game. That's it, have fun. :)

By the way you must register the site to download wd files.

Thanks for the links those two mods seem interesting options. I'll try them when I'll go back playing it.

I had thought like that too until last weekend I saw the Varn's I killed in my earlier play times suddenly went back to life. The respawning of animals are annoying enough, but, respawning of Varn's were really disappointing.

By the way what's the point of killing baboons, ostriches etc over and over, I really can't see any fun in that. I nearly explored half of the Savannah and already killed more than the total wild life population of Africa. Somebody must stop this animal massacre. :p

Anyway if you are a Gothic fan and was dissappointed by the latest Gothic game, Two Worlds 2 has the potential to quench your thirst. It’s the closest thing to Gothic until Risen 2 arrives.

I disagree.
Dragon Knight Saga´s where it´s at in this regard and it´s also a great game, unlike 2W2. In my opinion at least.

I disagree.
Dragon Knight Saga´s where it´s at in this regard and it´s also a great game, unlike 2W2. In my opinion at least.

Divinity 2, in my opinion, is too clunky combat-wise to be that good. Also while Two Worlds 2 is also sectioned off at first it feels a lot more open than Divinity 2 does. Divinity 2 felt a lot more linear, is my point.

I'm not saying Divinity 2 is a bad game, I liked it very much and need to play the expansion content I bought but never started. I am just saying Two Worlds 2, for me, is a lot more fun to play due to a more open world feel and much better combat.

Wow, I really enjoy(ed) both games. I don't care for Gothic/Risen but 2W2 was the perfect stop-gap for me until Skyrim. I've played about 140 hours in 2W2 and I've just entered the 4th chapter. Chapter 3 was dull to the max, and I've heard 4 is just as bad. I definitely got my money's worth though. I found DKS to be about the same, the first part is very good and the latter areas are duller, but still okay. Both games suffer from a feeling of "rushed at the end". I'm already thinking seriously about playing through 2W2 again after finishing. I really enjoy the crafting and such and felt the Savannah was a great place to game.

I've got to try the no respawn mod listed above. There is enough combat without anything ever respawning. I'm not sure about crafting though. You need TONS of stuff for crafting high level gear. It might take 200 weapons dismantled to create a fully crafted weapon. Since I dual-wield most of the time, that's 400 weapons minimum to fully craft an item. If Varns don't respawn will I have enough materials....

Divinity 2 is a great RPG, I'm not arguing with that. Also Flames of Vengeance expansion was more satisfying to me than the main game and it is the best expansion I have played since Mask Of The Betrayer.

But, according to me Divinity 2 is very different than Gothic series and can not be taken into the same category. I won't go into details but as a whole Two Worlds 2 feels more Gothic than Divinity 2.

But, according to me Divinity 2 is very different than Gothic series and can not be taken into the same category. I won't go into details but as a whole Two Worlds 2 feels more Gothic than Divinity 2.

Rewarding exploration and lack of hand holding are key aspects where Divinity 2 is much closer to Gothics than 2W2.

The only aspect where 2W2 is similar to Gothics is that early it´s possible to run into enemies which can one hit kill you, at least on the highest difficulty - but the majority of other opponents can still be dispatched easily right from the beginning.
If you play Dragon Knight Saga on nightmare, in the beginning virtually everything can kick your ass if you aren´t careful so DKS is closer to Gothics in this regard too.

And then there´s the question of general quality which in my opinion strongly favors DKS because I consider first two Gothics and DKS to be great games, whereas 2W2 barely mediocre.

In conclusion, according to my preferences DKS is in the same league as first two Gothics quality-wise and is quite similar in several aspects I consider key for Gothic series and that´s why I wouldn´t hesitate to recommend DKS to all Gothic fans. 2W2´s similarities are merely superficial and it isn´t a very good game anyway imo.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom