NAZI Symbolism

You can continue to debate the meaning of NAZI symbolism but I think you miss the point of the polite note you received from the moderators.

RPGWatch is not a social club governed by Robert's Rules of Order and parliamentary procedure, but merely a private website maintained by its owners and volunteer moderators.

If they sent you a note kindly asking you to change your avatar, for whatever reason, why would you want to give them grief about it or complain publicly on the forum? Is this avatar pic so ingrained with your sense of identity that to give it up is so painful?

If they sent you a note about it, the mods have already decided on this matter and there is nothing further to dispute or debate. If they hadn't already decided that your avatar needs to go, they would not have sent you the note.

Thank you for thought policing but kindly take that attitude and, do whatever else you will with it. I'm doing it because it is a perfect reflection of the air towards Codexers here. This thread alone justifies it a hundred times. Your attitude justifies it. I'm this troll! Codexer out to eat your children! I must be mischievous and evil! Oooh!

Now you are being petulant. I have never thought that I will defend dte but dude! He wasn't trying to "thought police" you. He simply have blown your cover story. I know it hurts to find out that you are more transparent than you thought you are but hey, that's life!

Last edited:
We don't ban people here for inappropriate Avatars, we merely ask them to change them. The Admins then have the power to enforce such a change. We don't hate people from the Codex here either; heck, we provide them with their own thread when the Codex is down. We have some excellent posters who post both here and on the Codex. What we don't allow are personal insults, racist, offensive comments, etc. Only Spambots get an automatic ban; anyone else usually gets discussed by all the mods and the admins before any action is taken.

Now you are being petulant. I have never thought that I will defend dte but dude! He wasn't trying to "thought police" you. He simply have blown your cover story. I know it hurts to find out that you are more transparent than you thought you are but hey, that's life!

My "cover story". Right. Thanks for trying at second guessing me. Here's a suggestion: how about you just ask and I will explain. In fact, I already did. But you are desperate to demonize me.

I have never thought that I will defend dte but dude!
Ooof, that had to hurt. Take a couple aspirin, maybe a shot of whiskey, and have a good laydown. If it doesn't look better in a couple days, we'll break out the penicillin. :D

:biggrin:

My "cover story". Right. Thanks for trying at second guessing me. Here's a suggestion: how about you just ask and I will explain. In fact, I already did. But you are desperate to demonize me.
Forgive us for misunderstanding your amazing homage, but we are mere mortals blinded by your razor wit. Or maybe you're just a little too obvious with the "innocent and oppressed" gambit… You've had your shining moment to rage against the machine; now it's time to show everyone that Mommy taught you a basic understanding of the concept of consideration. If necessary, I'm sure you can run upstairs and ask her for a refresher, champ.

edit- BTW, this whole "Codexer" thing is total nonsense. When you're here, you're a Watcher, even if you still call the Codex home. As Corwin pointed out, we really don't have any problem with Codex folks. Although some of them try far too hard to be controversial and edgy, many of them have good things to add to our little community here. So, if you're going to be here, it should come as no surprise that you'll be expected to act like a member of this community. If you see yourself as nothing but a guest, then Mommy definitely needs to give you a little reminder that you're supposed to be on best behavior when you go visiting, not shitting on the carpet.

NOW he is telling you what to do VotS! :lol:

Villain, your generalizations don't account for all "watchers". I thought you made some good points about Skyrim, I have argued with you about Jews and Iran, and I have defended your right to express your avatar. A full range of thought exists across the spectrum at the Watch, just like it might at the Codex. Heck, there is a forum dedicated to politics where we display our wide variety of understandings on a daily basis. The only thing that unites us here is that we like RPG's, generally computer-based (though even that is not universal), and we like to come to the same place for our news.

Thanks Ross! Haven't even noticed! :)

Throwing in my 2 cents, if it is illegal in some countries to have that kind of imagery then it's got to go. Freedom of expression is all well and good, but if it could get somebody fired or in real trouble for just visiting this site then that expression is too much.

My one and only concern would be to anyone who is visiting this site. Yes, it sucks, but tell the world to change. Fat chance of that happening any time soon.

Throwing in my 2 cents, if it is illegal in some countries to have that kind of imagery then it's got to go. Freedom of expression is all well and good, but if it could get somebody fired or in real trouble for just visiting this site then that expression is too much.

My one and only concern would be to anyone who is visiting this site. Yes, it sucks, but tell the world to change. Fat chance of that happening any time soon.

No.

While the Watch have it's own standard, as a general principle there are very good reasons behind "freedom of expression" as an absolute, meaning that there are no greyzones and the freedom of expression as a principle isn't up for discussion, distortion or exceptions. We are thus left with the argument why something is problematic and respect why someone would disagree and we all have a responsibility to engage in that discussion in our best capacity to do so.

I will allow me to fulfill Goodwin's Law in this thread now. The first nation that the nazis invaded were Germany. The first culture that the nazis attacked were the German culture. No culture were under the third reich obliterated so much as the German culture itself as everything that was deemed offensive, unworthy, vulgar and ungerman was systematically cleaned out. Huge quantities of German artistry, music and philosophy were thrown out.

Ironically then, as far as I concern the German stance on these symbols cause more harm than good. It cleans out symbols instead of provoking a continuous discussion about why they are wrong in the first place. It's in the continuous discussion that new generations learn the complete truth about the symbols history and the reasoning behind it, a conscious understanding of the issues which may help people to fight similar reasoning in our time. Because the reasoning is repeated over and over again, under new symbols, under new flags.

The fight against such reasoning isn't helped by passing over limitations from one nation to another. There are also many countries with even stranger laws about what's allowed and not.

WTF?

If this site is rendered NSFW for some users simply because someone doesn't want to change their avatar, then it is hardly a great trial for that person to change their avatar as a courtesy to those other users.

CountChocula said:
RPGWatch is not a social club governed by Robert's Rules of Order and parliamentary procedure, but merely a private website maintained by its owners and volunteer moderators.

If they sent you a note kindly asking you to change your avatar, for whatever reason, why would you want to give them grief about it or complain publicly on the forum? Is this avatar pic so ingrained with your sense of identity that to give it up is so painful?

Agree with this completely. Also: there is no drama like internet drama. Just change the frigging avatar already.

While the Watch have it's own standard, as a general principle there are very good reasons behind "freedom of expression" as an absolute, meaning that there are no greyzones and the freedom of expression as a principle isn't up for discussion, distortion or exceptions. We are thus left with the argument why something is problematic and respect why someone would disagree and we all have a responsibility to engage in that discussion in our best capacity to do so.
Which just goes to prove once again that you need to put the textbooks down and join the rest of us in the real world for a little bit. In the real world, they don't give two shits about engaging "in that discussion in our best capacity to do so". Sorry. In the real world, if you offend someone (particularly intentionally, as our new friend has done in this case), you are offered the opportunity to immediately remove the offending material, spend some quality time in Human Resources, and then followed by some quality time in sensitivity training. That's if you're lucky. For something like this, there's a good chance they'll just fire you outright. The real world doesn't have time for deep philosophical contemplation as we're too busy doing.

What do you do with a codexer with ADHD? Put him in a concentration camp.

What is the difference between a bar of soap and a codexer?
A bar of soap will take more than one shower.

A codexer should join the Ku Klux Klan — he would look a lot better with a hood over his head.

It takes balls to be a female codexer, literally.

What's the definition of a happy codexer? A guy who likes to eat, drink, and be Mary.

That's because we think you might be a cute chick, and we don't want to scare you away. ;)

That's jb, JD, and likely was born with a penis.

Last edited:

Yes!

The Watch is an rpg website that is free from the publishers bullshit and safe to visit at work or at home. That is what I expect and enjoy from the Watch. I go to the codex only at home, but I enjoy that place as well. I do not want to limit expression from the internet, I just expect different things from different websites.

That symbol of Villians is one of the most hated symbols by the Jewish community and the world. I do not give a rat's ass who the Nazis invaded first. What I do care about is explaining that fucking avatar to someone at work if they saw it on my screen. It could have real world consequences and it needs to go.

Also, everything DTE and Coaster just said.

Last edited:
Which just goes to prove once again that you need to put the textbooks down and join the rest of us in the real world for a little bit. In the real world, they don't give two shits about engaging "in that discussion in our best capacity to do so". Sorry. In the real world, if you offend someone (particularly intentionally, as our new friend has done in this case), you are offered the opportunity to immediately remove the offending material, spend some quality time in Human Resources, and then followed by some quality time in sensitivity training. That's if you're lucky. For something like this, there's a good chance they'll just fire you outright. The real world doesn't have time for deep philosophical contemplation as we're too busy doing.

Please go back to your own little reality.

What I do care about is explaining that fucking avatar to someone at work if they saw it on my screen.

Should the watch also adapt to China and Iran?

Back
Top Bottom