Neverwinter Nights: EE - Crimson Tides of Tethyr 1.1 released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Couchpotato spotted that Crimson Tides of Tethyr version 1.1 has been released on the Neverwinter Vault:

Crimson Tides of Tethyr

"Old friend, I fear that Tethyr's future is once again in the balance. The Sythillisian Empire has turned its gaze towards us for reasons I cannot fathom. How can this recently healed nation hope to defend itself from the untold thousands of goblins, orcs, ogres and giants that lurk on its northern border?"

Excerpt from a letter by Royal Court Sage Gamalon Idogyr to Elminster of Shadowdale, 1372 DR.

Author and game designer Luke Scull is delighted to present a remake of the classic Hall of Fame module Crimson Tides of Tethyr for Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition! A 20-hour adventure with a colorful cast of characters, epic war storyline, and tactically challenging encounters inspired by Baldur's Gate, this enhanced edition features rewritten dialogue, visual improvements, bug fixes, new systems and quality-of-life improvements, a new hour of gameplay content, and 100 new lines of voiced dialogue.

[...]

More information.

Luke's still working on the newer paid mod on Patreon that will be released for free. He also released an enhanced version of the first and third campaign as well.

Only problem is one is still free on the vault, and you have to pay for the other.

Yes the mods have names but I'm to lazy to look them up and type the names.:biggrin:

This is definitely a module I'll try if I ever get around to actually doing a real run of NWN. The fact that you get to visit locations from Baldur's Gate 2 is a big selling point for me.

Last edited:
I heard good things about this trilogy and tried out first module years ago - got bored and never returned to it. But maybe its just first module that isn't great. Can you let me know your impression on 2nd & 3rd module if you end up playing them?
I played a ton of NWN fan made modules years ago, finished a bunch of them, and these were not among the ones I liked enough to continue.

Oh edgy reply once again. Keep it up man love your replies.:biggrin:
I heard good things about this trilogy and tried out first module years ago - got bored and never returned to it. But maybe its just first module that isn't great. Can you let me know your impression on 2nd & 3rd module if you end up playing them?
Well here goes....

1. Siege of Shadowdale skip it, it's the weakest mod of the trilogy.
2. Crismon Tides of Tethyr is the best mod and story was well done.
3. Tyrant's of the Moonsea not as good but overall enjoyable. Feels incomplete.

I played a ton of NWN fan made modules years ago, finished a bunch of them, and these were not among the ones I liked enough to continue.
That's a shame - I played a few Hall of Fame modules and I liked them enough to complete the series most of the time. The Aielund Saga in particular was fantastic and is one of my top 5 RPGs of all time.

Well here goes....

Are we required to play Siege of Shadowdale for story of Crimson Tides of Tethyr to make sense? I might give 2nd module a spin but I can't remember much of 1st module story (all I remember is, its about Elminster).

That's a shame - I played a few Hall of Fame modules and I liked them enough to complete the series most of the time. The Aielund Saga in particular was fantastic and is one of my top 5 RPGs of all time.
Yes, I agree! The Aielund Saga was one of my favorites.

It's been many years since I played any of these so it's a bit hard to remember names, but I'm 95% sure that I really liked Tales of Arterra by Kevin Chan, if you haven't played that. And I know that I liked Adam Miller's Dreamcatcher series.

I also seem to recall a series called "The Iron Crown" that was good, but I doesn't seem to be available anymore.

Last edited:
Are we required to play Siege of Shadowdale for story of Crimson Tides of Tethyr to make sense? I might give 2nd module a spin but I can't remember much of 1st module story (all I remember is, its about Elminster).
No it's not like a classic trilogy as none of them are sequels or tied to each other except in some dialouge. You can play any of them in any order you want to play.

If you need other recommendations I have a whole thread with mod suggestions.

Yes, I agree! The Aielund Saga was one of my favorites.

It's been many years since I played any of these so it's a bit hard to remember names, but I'm 95% sure that I really liked Tales of Arterra by Kevin Chan, if you haven't played that. And I know that I liked Adam Miller's Dreamcatcher series.

I also seem to recall a series called "The Iron Crown" that was good, but I doesn't seem to be available anymore.
I finished Tales of Arterra - it had a bit of PS:T feel IIRC. I enjoyed it but wasn't as memorable as Aielund Saga. I don't know why but I never got around playing Adam Miller's Dreamcatcher series. Haven't heard of The Iron Crown tho.
No it's not like a classic trilogy as none of them are sequels or tied to each other except in some dialouge. You can play any of them in any order you want to play.

If you need other recommendations I have a whole thread with mod suggestions.
Can you please give me the link to your NWN module suggestions - I think I'm going to bookmark it.

What is the general theory as to why NWN generated the most 3rd party / fan based campaigns? Was it basically because they made it relatively easy to create mods?

What is the general theory as to why NWN generated the most 3rd party / fan based campaigns? Was it basically because they made it relatively easy to create mods?
Lots of games get modded, some even have thriving modding scenes, but only a small number come with official modding tools. NWN was one of them. I assume that had to have been a major factor; modding for something like BG2 was a lot more difficult, and people had to create their own tools (like Weidu).

This is pure conjecture, but I wonder if the relative unpopularity of the vanilla NWN campaign may have helped too, in a "I can do better" kinda way. I know that I spent a lot more time playing mods for NWN than playing the stuff Bioware themselves made.

Hasn't been updated in years but here you go.
I'm not really after too long modules at this point but following look interesting:

Prophet Series - seems like its going to be a long module tho
Crimson Tides of Tethyr - a lot of praise on this one, I might just ignore 1st and 3rd part and try this one out.

Well here goes....

Do we need to play the 1st before the 2nd, or are they entirely independent?

Ah yes I remember lillura and her huge meltdown on this forum.:biggrin:

All over a few mods that I quoted sucked. Don't miss her.

Back
Top Bottom