"Nextgen" GPUs

There is almost no retailers with the 4gb version. Also, with the PCIE overdraw issue being caused by the VRAM taking too much juice (per AMD statement), there is probably a reasons why half of it is locked and the VRAM is underclocked on that version.

On another subject, one dude managed to OC his RX 480 to 1500GHz with a waterblock.

There is almost no retailers with the 4gb version. Also, with the PCIE overdraw issue being caused by the VRAM taking too much juice (per AMD statement), there is probably a reasons why half of it is locked and the VRAM is underclocked on that version.

On another subject, one dude managed to OC his RX 480 to 1500GHz with a waterblock.

The PCI issue should be fixed via a driver as it seems.

There is always this "one dude" which overclocks stuff like crazy. ^^
But I wouldn't say that this is very representative for an "average" user or even overclocker.

Der8auer is working for the beforementioned retailer Caseking.de btw and he is keeping several overclocking records from what I know.

The reason why the RAM on the fake 4 GB card is cut and then underclocked is simple: The 4 GB card uses 8 3.5 GHz 512 MB chips, because the card design demands 8 chips, and 512 MB chips with 4.0 GHz aren't available in quantity. The fake card has been made to match this.

I am starting to see secondhand 980 TI for about £300 or less but still with some warranty left. Maybe they are good investment over 1070 at £400+? They seems to be similar performance wise and TI cards have 6GB ram and they draw 250W v 150W. What people think?

Something interesting about the undervolting, some cards are apparently undervolted out of the box. Multiple references on Reddit from people opening WattMan for the first time to undervolt their cards to see they don't need to undervolt anything because they are already at 1050mv.

I'm wondering if the higher voltage isn't actually a bug, either with the card power management unit (Polaris has a new one) or a WattMan bug.

Imho not really worth talking about. It's just basically a "defective" card, where it's defect is that it has more memory as stated.

But it's not like you could go to a shop and ask "I'd like to have a card with this defect".

Apparently, GTX 1060 6Gb version price will be $260 (FE will cost more, too much more).
Expected release is 12 days from now.
http://videocardz.com/61917/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-to-cost-249-299-usd
http://videocardz.com/61934/gigabyte-announces-geforce-gtx-1060-g1-gaming

Means, 10 bucks more than RX 480, but less VRAM and half of unified cores.
Less teraflops to me means nothing, it's IMO the same thing as ancient mips that didn't specify which exact instructions we were talking about and was practically used just as selling point.
Reality was always the best indicator so I'll wait for tests that compare cards with TW3 hairworks enabled. If GTX 1060 can't pull out 60FPS with hwx enabled on 1080p, I'll definetly buy RX 480 instead. Or wait for RX 490 if it won't happen next year.

Last edited:
Based on 1070 and 1080 prices, I think the 6GB 1060 card will cost around £300 here in UK since most 3rd party vendors will simply ignore the MSRP. Oh well, its second hand 980 TI for me :lol:

I don't need 980ti or any ti card to be precise as I'm not interested in 4K gaming.
But you're right, with overblown prices on new GPUs, 2nd hand cards even with too much power are a better choice. Will check auctions later.

Means, 10 bucks more than RX 480

The 8gb RX 480 MRSP is $240, so it's 20 bucks more…and going by how you can turn a 4gb into a 8gb currently and you won't find any GTX 1060 for the advertised MSRP at launch, more like $60-100 more.

Both 1060 cards don't have SLI…will go 1070 then…now the only question remaining is: Which brand…tending between:

Asus Strix: 550€ Advantage: 2 Additional PWM Cooler sockets. So in theory you could also just replace the original fans with custom ones (in case they break or you need more powerful ones

EVGA SC: 520€ Advatage: Seems to be a more comfortable warranty, good Customer Support, warranty can be extended by 2 or 7 years (in addition to the 3 normal years) for an additional price. Also warranty isn't void when removing the cooler.
And according to their promotional video their fans should work for 12 years (take that with a grain of salt)

BTW: Do you know if there is a norm for original fan connections?
I mean what are the original ASUS and EVGA fans connected with? On the naked board I only saw one connection. Is that also a PWM? Can you split the signal via a Y-Socket for two custom fans?

Wait, you won't go like me one nVidia and one AMD card inside for dx12/vulkan doublebonus?

Very tempting but...no. I am not planning on playing the one game which supports it then :D

Geez I'm planning on gett'n nvidia just because hairworx in only one game and you're nitpicking the near future. :p

Back
Top Bottom