Non-RPG General News - Return to Monkey Island is available now

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Alrik spotted that the adventure game Return to Monkey Island has been released:

Well, after thirty years, here it is at last.

Return to Monkey Island! The game we honestly never thought we'd get to make.

Ron, Dave, and the rest of the dedicated team at Terrible Toybox have poured their hearts into creating this new story, a tale of unfinished business, unlikely alliances, and the consequences of digging at the spot marked X.

We've really enjoyed making it, reconnecting with characters that are dear to us, and meeting new ones, and it is with joy and pride that we share the game with you now. Hope you enjoy it!

Ron Gilbert & Dave Grossman
More information.

Here you go from my thread this week. ^^

Return To Monkey Island Review Roundup

Last edited:
Thank you for the collection of reviews. Skimming through them they seem very positive. The trailer and the screenshots gave me a nice feeling of nostalgia, because most places and characters seemed to be a direct copy from "Secret of Monkey Island".

Concerning the art style that the designers went for... Well, I guess you can't get back to the pixel art of the original, which is still the most appealing to me.

New Monkey made it to the top of my adventure games playlist. Didnt have proper laugh with computer game in ages and I wonder if the old dog was able to learn some new tricks or it will be more of the same in new graphics. Not reading reviews and not watching gameplays, dont want to spoil it for myself.

Secret of Monkey Island has a very special place in my heart - as it was one of the few adventure games I finished as a kid.

I never had the patience for the genre - and I've probably only completed a few
dozen of them during the past 40 years.

Never finished any of the sequels, either.

I'm not a big fan of the art style of this one - but the animations look great, and it's certainly colorful in an appropriate way.

I'm happy it's going well, and I would love to see more of certain games from the distant past.

My number one pick would probably be a proper sequel to Loom :)

Big fan of the original 2, never bothered with the rest. Still I am tempted.

Daniel.

The 3rd was good as well. The 4th was the one I hated.

Yeah I would also second Alriks recommendation of Monkey Island 3. It doesn't quite have the same magic of 1/2 but is still well worth playing.

I would also highly recommend Thimbleweed Park. It was Ron's last game before "Return" and it proves he still has the magic. Great puzzles and plenty of humour. It's more like Maniac Mansion/DotT than Monkey Island though.

I'm in the final chapter and am having a blast. The island intro scene gave me goosebumps. Humor is great, graphics are fine. Would have preferred a pixel look, but this works better on tablets, I suppose. It does feel modern and will most likely stand the test of time.

The first few chapters were fairly straight-forward, particularly chapter 3. Chapter 4 is (probably) the core of the game. Just the right amount of explorational freedom, brain teasing and story development. Felt very Monkey Island-ish.

There's an integrated hint system that I didn't use, although I did use the TAB key, which highlights most clickable objects. The Riddles were all pretty logical, too.

I only played Monkey Island 1 & 2 back in the day. #3 a couple of years after release, but I'm not sure if I ever finished it.

Thimbleweed Park is also great. I didn't finish it so far because of a certain riddle (how do i get that map ??), but otherwise it's simply great. With a good dose of ... I call it a "helloween feeling".

Does anyone happen to know whether there is a boxed version of that game ?
In my opinion, this legacy demands that.

Does anyone happen to know whether there is a boxed version of that game ?
In my opinion, this legacy demands that.
Ron Gilbert's twitter response to that question was "Not at launch. Later. One nice thing about making games today is we don't have to wait months to press media before people can enjoy the game."

Okay, thanks,I'll wait, then ... ;)

Thimbleweed Park is also great. I didn't finish it so far because of a certain riddle (how do i get that map ??), but otherwise it's simply great.
That's pretty early in the game. I can give a very vague non-spoiler hint if you want:
Who is sitting next to the map and what does she want? Where would you normally find information on what she wants?

Thanks ...

Back
Top Bottom