Opinion - Are Western and Japanese RPGs so Different?

Western RPG's have choices and consequences. That's the fundamental difference for me.

Western RPG's have choices and consequences. That's the fundamental difference for me.

Yeah, even the least interactive Western RPGs are more interactive than the most interactive JPRGs. About the only time JPRGs even offer choices are when they're fake choices... the old "here are two dialogue choices, but if you pick the wrong one we'll just keep waiting until you pick the right one."

One of the fundamental differences is the ages of their respective target audiences, which is reflected in the types of stories, characters and writing one tends to find in the games. JPRGs are, in general, made for a younger audience. Doesn't mean they suck or even that they're unsophisticated (though many of them are), but it's true. There are exceptions (Nier, Fromsoft games), but they're few and far between.
Yep glad you brought that up I mentioned this before about JPRGs. People always wonder why their childish, or have teenage protagonists. It's simple different cultures.

So I'll repeat this again.:)

From what I remember in Japan, games are only assumed to be played by younger audiences because when you are older, you are expected to give it your all in work.

You are expected to come to work early and leave late, usually after drinking with your colleagues. High school and college are usually the last time where you are considered "free" which is why you see a lot of characters being in their teens.

If you are a gamer/anime watcher over 20 you're a disgrace in Japan. They have many labels for this but usually your an Otaku, or a Neet who just stays in your room.

Now having said that some Japanese developers are changing in the last few years.

Back
Top Bottom