Outward 2 - Interview @ Wccftech

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Wccftech interviewed Guillaume Boucher-Vidal, CEO of Nine Dots Studio about Outward 2:

Outward 2 Q&A - Director Says Sequel Is a Few Years Away, Will Be Just as Cruel & Obscure

In 2019, indie Canadian studio Nine Dots released Outward, an unforgiving immersive action roleplaying game that immediately captivated an audience. Having sold over 1.3 million units to date, the game is now getting a sequel, as announced earlier this month by Nine Dots.

We had the opportunity to talk with Guillaume Boucher-Vidal, CEO of Nine Dots Studio and Game Director on the original game and the sequel while at GDC 2024. You can read the full transcript below; Outward 2 can be wishlisted on Steam.

How long has Outward 2 been in development so far?

Well, we started full production in January of 2021.

Leading up to that, what sort of design documents and feedback from the first one were the basis for this new project?

I had the opportunity to analyze everything that people wanted from Outward while working on the DLC. The DLC was a very nice opportunity to just complete the vision we've had for the initial title. In doing so, I was constantly re-evaluating what I would change if I could do it. What would people react positively to? So, making the DLC really informed the design going into the sequel.

What kind of feedback did you get from the console version of Outward?

I didn't hear as many complaints as I would have expected from the reduction in production values from the port. It wasn't broken, but it was not as polished as on PC. I think that the definitive edition definitely had a better reception and that's one big reason why - not that the porting teams that we had were bad, but we have so much more control by making the game and porting it ourselves that I think this had a big impact on the final quality. It's just that nobody can know our game better than ourselves. We would know of something that is just a tweak, but it's going to work so much better. If you don't have that very deep knowledge of how the game is made, it isn't so obvious.

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

What I thought it won't be released for at least a few years. :unsure:

I wish developers wouldn't announce games till their close to being finished.

Back
Top Bottom