Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Preload Day!

I love what I'm reading so far.

To sum it up, the developers have dipped their toes into the RPG genre with the tremendous first effort that was Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Wrath of the Righteous is bigger, deeper, darker, and more epic than its predecessor. The game keeps to the classic CRPG genre but expands and elaborates the elements that defined Kingmaker.

For those who miss the feeling of a long tabletop campaign or have been craving a new isometric RPG, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is the game for you. It's not perfect, but it has most of the best parts of playing a game with pen and paper while ironing out some of the fiddly and boring parts so you don't have to deal with them. Owlcat Games has taken what it learned from Kingmaker and improved upon it to give us something new and fun — no dice required.

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is a faithful adaptation of the tabletop RPG, featuring an engaging story, well-written characters, and extremely deep gameplay mechanics. Although Owlcat Games' did their best to make the game feel welcoming to newcomers with plenty of in-game resources and tutorials, and difficulty customization options, the depth of the experience can be intimidating. Those who brave through the initial confusion, however, will find one of the best computer RPGs released in recent times.

Like its predecessor, this incarnation of Pathfinder by Owlcat Games is a very classic RPG experience, which however succeeds in the arduous task of recalling the suggestion of an adventure lived at the table with your friends. For this reason alone it deserves your attention.

I was relieved by the remarks on the stability of the game in Fextralife's impressions, if that's the same video I watched. I've read other comments in the "press Discord server" from people who already played 40+ hours of the early release build without encountering any serious bugs.

There were a few blocking bugs that popped up but they are usually quickly solved, Owlcat is updating regularly. There are still others that were already identified, but not too many of them.

I'm starting to believe the release won't be too bad :)

This night will be very short for the devs, I hope they can celebrate tomorrow!

I was relieved by the remarks on the stability of the game in Fextralife's impressions, if that's the same video I watched. I've read other comments in the "press Discord server" from people who already played 40+ hours of the early release build without encountering any serious bugs.

Indeed. Bugs are seldom mentioned. They seem to have been doing a great job getting the game ready.

Considering the length I hope to do two paths. The first, and my canon play through, will be with Lobo (human), a Feral Warpriest of Gozreh (closest god I could get to his actual god). He is chaotic but basically good. So will be doing Azata for the Mythic path. Having done the beta, and seeing all the cool stuff related to the path, I am psyched to see how it all plays out in the end.

Stamina permitting, although may break before returning, I want to do a second with Wulver (Tiefling) as a charismatic sorcerer, the one with the animal companion (wolf of course) OR as a Sacred Huntsman level 16 with 4 levels in Knife Master Rogue … which is how I played him in Kingmaker and while he was slow growth wise he rocked at the high levels. Not sure on path but most likely Legend, otherwise Trickster or Gold Dragon. Small chance Angles but not a big fan of LG as an alignment. Pretty much play the NG and CG for characters.

A small part of me does like the idea of a Tiefling going Angel as Trickster seems too expected. Still Legend would work out fine for him so that's my current choice. On the other hand I really don't know a lot about that path as it is still shrouded in mystery.

Beyond that can't say more about my decisions since it would involve heavy spoilers from alpha/beta testing.

I can say I love the game and playing Lobo in it was a complete blast.

PS - I would never play all the paths as only interested in a few of them. Azata, Legend, Gold Dragon, Trickster, and Angel are the only ones I would want to try, roughly in that order.

I'll go for the Paladin/Angel or Paladin/Gold Dragon path first. I know not original.:biggrin:

Glad to see it's more stable then Kingmaker was based on the reviews.:nod:

I figured it was going to be hella buggy but I was going to get it anyway (but maybe wait to actually play it). I'm excited to hear otherwise. I'll be spending some serious time with this this weekend.

So how many of you are going to replay the game for every mythic path? As that would probably take a few years to complete everyone of them. Sounds like a challenge.
I'll be trying three of them for now, and then we'll see.

1. Angel, with a Cleric/Oracle for spellbook merge
2. Lich, with a Wizard/Sorcerer for spellbook merge
3. Golden Dragon, though not much is known yet, since it wasn't in the beta, so we'll see about this one. The name is interesting at least.

There's another early review by WolfheartFPS, it's good but I found it below his usual standard. He tries to compare WotR with BG3 too much, we know he's a big fan. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoHd76AE3CU

Mortismal Gaming mentions bugs and balance issues with the crusade army system, which is most of the ones I've seen reported. This is the last system they were working on, and may require some time to be fully polished.

I hope there will be more composed reviews made post-release. Those early reviews are good but they're always done in a rush or on beta material.

From what I read, I'll probably go Dragon first, then Lich.

But I won't be playing for a while, I typically wait for the game to be "complete" so I can play it with all expansions/DLC.

Back
Top Bottom