Pillars of Eternity - GameBanshee review

Issue one for me was story got weaker as the deeper you got into the story.

Issue two once you had explored a house, pub etc. the first time load times were insanely long just go in and out quickly. So running back and forth between maps on some of the quest were painful waiting for it to load.

Issue three the end game was boring and the last fight very boring.

Other than that it was a very good game.

Well at least the end game had a few surprise encounters. But yeah, it should have been more of a showcase of puzzles, secrets, mazes, traps, story (which it did expand on thank goodness).

Unfortunately not, with the right tactic even the final battle is kind of easy.

That's pretty true. Oddly, I had a really easy time my first go-round and then I reloaded so I could finish the game with the other companions in the party and struggled a lot more the second time.

However, I have the say, the game's ultimate battle is against the adra dragon, which is entirely optional. I couldn't beat it without cheating, even after reading how everyone else did it. Maybe I am not patient enough.

I thought the game was pure awesome. Loved the story, thought it was quite interesting and mature; it explored some slightly philosophical quandaries that I still find myself thinking about. It's definitely on my top 10 list, above some other RPG's that I adored even. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the expansion and sequel.

That's not true Alaric. In most of the dialogues you can choose your motivation. Sure, at the beginning you seek Thaos to cure your awakening but later you also can say that you seek him to make sense of memories from your previous life or to undo wrongs that he has committed.
Still, those dialogue options don't really lead anywhere and your search progresses in the same way no matter what's your choosen motivation.

I disagree, I find the options you are describing to be lacking, but I have just started act III, so maybe, hopefully, I'll stop worrying about my sickness (as my character grows stronger and stronger) soon,

An expectation that wont be fulfilled. While PoE does allow different concerns, the expressions of different concerns do not close each other.
Choosing not to worry about the illness will never get the options to worry about the illness to disappear.

That path would be thin to walk: in case of closure of an option because of keeping up to one other option only, players would complain that they can not worry about the illness later in the game.
The game started big on illness, players expressed different concerns, and later, not being able to worry about the illness, would see in that a lacking feature.

Presently, PoE offers to worry about several things all the time. Nothing is closed by persistently sticking to one option.

Presently, PoE offers to worry about several things all the time. Nothing is closed by persistently sticking to one option.

Agreed. But choosing any of the options doesn't make any difference ito the way that the game progresses

Agreed. But choosing any of the options doesn't make any difference to the way that the game progresses. There are no branches or different consequences.

Back
Top Bottom