Piranha Bytes - Working on New Project

Does that mean that Risen 3 was just an afterthought and money grab and they did not put the best people on it? Moreover, does that mean that they will not be supporting Risen 3 anymore (with patches, balance fixes, improvements .. etc.)?

PB only has one team. Pretty much everybody works on the current project. It's standard industry practice to slowly cook a 2nd game in pre-production though because all these specialized developers need work when their job on the current game is done. At some point, probably months before release, all dialogs and quests are written, all 3D models created and all functionality implemented.

Nothing is known about the contract situation between PB and DS. Maybe they made a deal about 3 games, maybe they first made the first and then signed for the other two. We simply don't know ... and we don't need to know. The only thing that's clear is that PB needed to sign a contract quickly after the G3 disaster.

Speaking of G3 its seems like we will get another Gothic 3 CP update soon;

"Some news for German & English Community. We are preparing to release a new version of Gothic 3 v1.75 Update Pack. It will contain about 30 new dll-fixes and -features. "

Really? That's great news. Was that on WoG or another site?

After 20 some hours of Risen 3, I'm ready for another G3 playthrough; haven't done a full game in two years or so.

Is it really that hard to learn whether Michael Hoge currently works for PB? It's the kind of information that would cost him nothing to reveal, doesn't have much of a reason to be hidden and would already exist on LinkedIn or something like that if it was a US developer.

Speaking of G3 its seems like we will get another Gothic 3 CP update soon;

"Some news for German & English Community. We are preparing to release a new version of Gothic 3 v1.75 Update Pack. It will contain about 30 new dll-fixes and -features. "
Not to be a pedant but this looks like the Update Pack mod rather than the Community Patch. I checked the link you posted and I certainly don't remember zandr
being part of the CPT.

Edit: heh, I even had a post on that very page wondering why the Update Pack wasn't getting more attention

Gothic 3 was their weakest offering if you ask me. People seem to have forgotten that the game was almost unplayable the way PB left it. Thankfully, the fan community was eventually able to make a decent game out of it.

Potato just wants to sound cool, that's all.

Well I played the demo when it first came out and it was far from unplayable.

I'm pretty sure most people here know what I meant. The game was buggy almost to the point of being broken. Terrible performance for most people, more bugs and glitches than you could count, missing dialogue, broken quests, character skills that were missing or broken, etc. etc….

Even after all the patching, G3 still has its share of flaws. At least it's fairly solid from a technical standpoint though.

I'm pretty sure most people here know what I meant. The game was buggy almost to the point of being broken. Terrible performance for most people, more bugs and glitches than you could count, missing dialogue, broken quests, character skills that were missing or broken, etc. etc….

... all of that and the worst offender: it randomly ate (corrupted) save games so that alone was completely game-breaking in and of itself. Or the infamous prevalent "where is the guru?" crash bug. Or how both monsters and important/essential quest/story NPCs fell through the world mesh to the bottom of the world (if you brought down the console, you could teleport to them but please...).
Nah. Definitely the most broken game release I have ever played in my, by now, fairly long gamer life.

… all of that and the worst offender: it randomly ate (corrupted) save games so that alone was completely game-breaking in and of itself. Or the infamous prevalent "where is the guru?" crash bug. Or how both monsters and important/essential quest/story NPCs fell through the world mesh to the bottom of the world (if you brought down the console, you could teleport to them but please…).
Nah. Definitely the most broken game release I have ever played in my, by now, fairly long gamer life.
Despite all that it was still better than the last two Risen games.:cool:

See to me both are not bad games, but I do not get the same feeling of joy while playing them. Some people will never understand that, and I'm fine with that.

Don't forget about Forsaken Gods though. I'm pretty sure that was even worse. :)

Despite all that it was still better than the last two Risen games.:cool:

It certainly was not, but you can keep telling yourself that. ;)

It certainly was not, but you can keep telling yourself that. ;)
Thank you I will as it's my opinion, and you wont change it.;)

I'm also not a blind Piranha Bytes fanboy to those who disagree with I say. I enjoy their games, but I will call it as I see it from playing every game they made.

Anyway I'm done as it's better to move on when your opinion is unpopular.:movingon:

PS: I beat Risen 3 once and have no desire to replay it any time soon.

Last edited:
I'm also not a blind Piranha Bytes fanboy to those who disagree with I say. I enjoy their games, but I will call it as I see it from playing every game they made.

It's subjective of course. You're more than welcome to claim that Gothic 3, in its release state, was better than Risen 3.

I once met a guy who swore that Daikatana was better than Deus Ex.

Don't forget about Forsaken Gods though. I'm pretty sure that was even worse. :)

Once bitten, twice shy... so I never played the expansion (yet). But due to various Steam sales I actually own it since quite a long time already and one of these fine days before the end of my life (hopefully a few years still ;) ), I swear, I'm going to play through the entire saga from Gothic 1 to 3 to Forsaken Gods Enhanced Edition and Arcania plus Fall of Setarrif. All of it.

Once bitten, twice shy… so I never played the expansion (yet). But due to various Steam sales I actually own it since quite a long time already and one of these fine days before the end of my life (hopefully a few years still ;) ), I swear, I'm going to play through the entire saga from Gothic 1 to 3 to Forsaken Gods Enhanced Edition and Arcania plus Fall of Setarrif. All of it.
Sorry I can't help myself.:cool:

I actually enjoyed Arcania, and the Fall of Setarrif expansion. Everyone gives the game flak, but for what it was it's not that bad. It's just not a Gothic game.

Now as for the Forsaken Gods Enhanced Edition I will never finish it. It's terrible and I rather play the two games I mentioned above instead.

So can someone provide a spoiler of the ending? As I can't make myself finish it.

Originally Posted by JDR13
I'm pretty sure most people here know what I meant. The game was buggy almost to the point of being broken. Terrible performance for most people, more bugs and glitches than you could count, missing dialogue, broken quests, character skills that were missing or broken, etc. etc…​
… all of that and the worst offender: it randomly ate (corrupted) save games so that alone was completely game-breaking in and of itself. Or the infamous prevalent "where is the guru?" crash bug. Or how both monsters and important/essential quest/story NPCs fell through the world mesh to the bottom of the world (if you brought down the console, you could teleport to them but please…).

I experienced none of those things in the demo. Maybe that was the only part that was fully debugged?

I can hardly wait to play the full game. ;)

Dunno. According to GoogleFu, the demo was released about a month after release so, yes, it might have been more polished than the actual game release. It was probably also only a limited part of the world and many issues with Gothic 3 were exacerbated by the sheer size of the beast.

I experienced none of those things in the demo.

You probably just didn't realize they were there.. as many bugs wouldn't be apparent when only experiencing a small piece of the overall game. Regardless, you don't have much to worry about now as long as you have the community patch installed.

Back
Top Bottom