Risen - No DRM

CDP is not publishing Risen in Poland. It's Cenega. If you pre-order the game in Cenega and write there a code "RISEN-KOMPANIA-09" you'll get this game 30 PLN cheaper.

With no DRM, pirates don't need to invent even the shallowest kinds of arguments any more. They don't even need their brains anymore.

Actually it tends to go the other way, at least here. With indie and no-DRM games, the general community heaps shame on pirates. Whereas for heavy DRM stuff like EA games, there is some sense of "they work so hard to screw paying customers, I have a hard time finding sympathy when pirates screw them".

Because of course, pirates will stop doing it if they feel a bit of shame ;)

Pirates will do their thing anyway. What's the difference if the have an excuse or not?

@Konjad: Cenega? Wow, now that's a surprise. Hm. Oh, and thanks for the tip, even though I hardly ever pre-order anything.

DRM makes no business sense.

Amount of pirates stopped: 0.
Amount of customers pissed off: Substantial.

DRM isn't there to stop pirates 100%. It's there to keep games from being cracked on launch-day, and some time after. If it does that, it does it's job as that's the time when the biggest sales are made. A lot of people, if they can't get a cracked version on launch day, or soon after, tend to buy the game just because they can't wait. DRM is not intended for people that will use pirated regardless of when they get cracked. It's there for the casual user that might feel tempted to pirate and not purchase.

It's there for the casual user that might feel tempted to pirate and not purchase.
And it's there against the casual user that might feel tempted to purchase and not pirate. Supposing that those casuals even out, DRM is but one big waste of time and resources.

And it's there against the casual user that might feel tempted to purchase and not pirate. Supposing that those casuals even out, DRM is but one big waste of time and resources.

Well considering there almost isn't any company out there who will ship a title without some form of DRM, I think it's safe to assume it's not a big waste of time and resources. The whole business-world isn't stupid. Count on it.

Well considering there almost isn't any company out there who will ship a title without some form of DRM, I think it's safe to assume it's not a big waste of time and resources. The whole business-world isn't stupid. Count on it.
DRM was all the rage for MP3s (from a business POV, not according to users), now the business-world is finally realizing they were probably mistaken. They had been told so from the beginning, but weren't listening. If not stupid, maybe short-sighted?

Code wheels were much more effective, as were random words from the manual!! :)

DRM isn't there to stop pirates 100%. It's there to keep games from being cracked on launch-day, and some time after. If it does that, it does it's job as that's the time when the biggest sales are made. A lot of people, if they can't get a cracked version on launch day, or soon after, tend to buy the game just because they can't wait. DRM is not intended for people that will use pirated regardless of when they get cracked. It's there for the casual user that might feel tempted to pirate and not purchase.

+1. It sucks that they "must" use DRM, but it also sucks that people wont pay for their games and that pirate sites such as PirateBay earns more $$$ than the people involved in creating the game..

Personally i've never had a problem with DRM, i think most people that complain about it are the people that don't want to wait a few extra days for a crack ;)

Personally i've never had a problem with DRM, i think most people that complain about it are the people that don't want to wait a few extra days for a crack ;)

Imagine if Troika had come out with online activation for all of their games ... or SirTech ... or Black Isle ... or ... well, you get the picture. I want to play these games 10 years from now like I play FO1 & 2 now, without having to get a crack to do so.

Securom is not about "some players that don't want to wait a few extra days for a crack" , it is spyware and malware and it does destroy your dvd player.
Starforce and previous versions of Tages were as bad , X-TC and The Witcher versions of Tages were okay and i can uninstall them easily .
I am not buying any games with online activation .

DRM was never a problem for pirates , you can find almost any game cracked, at maximum one week after release; the most rarely cracked games are those using simple keys .
DRM is also not a problem for legal owners, you can still buy a game and use a crack without breaking any law .
Just as a note , few days ago a major European developer stated in his forums "very happy with his policy to not use DRM" , maybe things are changing....

Fallout 3 had securom "cd check" and Bethesda has a history on failed protections like in previous versions of Morrowind and their stupid constant cd-checks that slowed down the game, so a simple "cd-check" can be a disaster too.

I've installed dozens of games that used Securom or Starforce over the years, and never had a problem. I think the horror stories about those programs are greatly exaggerated. Although there is no doubt that some people have definitely had issues with them.

Securom is not about "some players that don't want to wait a few extra days for a crack" , it is spyware and malware and it does destroy your dvd player.
Starforce and previous versions of Tages were as bad , X-TC and The Witcher versions of Tages were okay and i can uninstall them easily .
I am not buying any games with online activation .
I never had any problems with Securom or Starforce. They never broke my dvd drive, nor did it happen to anyone close to me. The mass-hysteria that happened from Starforce was simply because most people had no idea what was going on, and they just kept screaming on every board, about how bad starforce is.
DRM was never a problem for pirates , you can find almost any game cracked, at maximum one week after release; the most rarely cracked games are those using simple keys .
False. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory took a very long time to crack and that's because it used Starforce. I don't remember exactly how long, but I think it took about 6 month to crack. That's 6 months where people that wanted to play it had to buy it.
DRM is also not a problem for legal owners, you can still buy a game and use a crack without breaking any law .
Really? Because I seem to remember that using any way to circumvent the protection system that comes with the game is illegal.

There's illegal and enforceable illegal!! I have no issue with someone who owns a legit copy of a game using things like No CD patches to protect their CD's!!

There's illegal and enforceable illegal!! I have no issue with someone who owns a legit copy of a game using things like No CD patches to protect their CD's!!

I don't have a problem with them either. I'm just talking about whether it's breaking the law or not. And it is. The law says your not allowed to circumvent the protection system. At least to my knowledge. :)

DRM is traditionally harder to deal with in terms of piracy, and there are multiple examples of delayed releases to the pirate scene because of it.

So - this is essentially helping pirates, as many pirates pirate because they can get their hands on the game quickly and don't have to wait for a local release.

That said, I despise DRM as much as anyone. But I'd buy this no matter what, as the game is likely good enough for me to ignore minor inconveniences.

Back
Top Bottom