Risen - Screenshot @ WoR

Game looks nice but as I can see it's on Gothic 3's engine which makes me worry about combat and stability. Hope they'll fix them.

It doesn't use the engine of Gothic 3.
I'm not even sure if Piranha Bytes would be allowed to.

Hmm... strange... characters looks exactly like these in Gothic 3. Anyway that's great news to me it uses different engine.

Yep - the difference between engines and models :)

I love teh look of this. And I want a shot at that beastie!

heads are half the size they should be on a "normal" human, which makes characters look like a bunch of retarded bodybuilders on steroids. same proportions were indeed a noticeable flaw in g3's design, but i don't see other similarities, really.
________
Aiesha

Last edited:
heads are half the size they should be on a "normal" human, which makes characters look like a bunch of retarded bodybuilders on steroids. same proportions were indeed a noticeable flaw in g3's design, but i don't see other similarities, really.

You mean this effect?

norm-48c6ca7f2fe8b-Beetlejuice+%281988%29.jpeg

Graphics look a bit rough (jaggy) in that shot. I hope it's just due to the quality of the screenshot itself.

The tiny heads are back folks. The question is, why?

Why small heads? - that's a good question.

At first i thought maybe it's to make the body to look big and powerful (big shoulders) the head models are made separately and will probably have a selection of hair styles but it isn't difficult to get the aspect ratio sizes matched, there must be a more technical reason?

Edited -->
Here's a roughly modified pic i made for comparison, the same shot of the hero with an increase in head size of 30% (pixels) which i think looks a bit more realistic in head to body ratio.

Last edited:
Shrunken heads again.. ah well - PB kinda fails to deliver when it comes to character models.

Here's a roughly modified pic i made for comparison, the same shot of the hero with an increase in head size of 30% (pixels) which i think looks a bit more realistic in head to body ratio.

Wow ... it didn't bug me but your edit does look much better!

indeed, a good edit.

what about a mod, as soon as the game is released? :D

"no-steroid mod" or something.
________
Chevy information

Last edited:
I guess Germans just have little heads :p

But yeah, these characters in Gothic 3 looks kinda strange with little heads and Ialways thought it's a bug but now I see it's intentional, but why?

I think the small head size has something to do with armour. Logic says the armour torso model will be bigger than the the unarmoured torso model but the head size cannot go bigger so appears slightly smaller....i could be completely wrong of course.

In G3 there were fat guys (eg: the smiths etc') i believe there will also be fat guys in Risen but will the fat guys also have small heads? - because a fat guy with armour and a small head will look very strange.

@baron - yeah a "big head" mod. :D

According to the art director of PB (Ralf Marczinczik) in regards to the small heads in Gothic 3:

Wie kommt es, dass viele (fast alle) NPCs einen viel zu kleinen Kopf haben?

Das waren oft Designentscheidungen- teilweise aber wohl die (nicht immer optimalen) Ergebnisse beim Exportieren der 3D Köpfe nocheinmal kurz vor dem Goldmaster.
Wir sind aber dabei, alles auf einen Stand zu bringen. Ob´s gepatcht werden kann, kann ich leider nicht sagen.
Translation:

"How come that many (almost all) NPCs have a way too small head?"

These were design decisions most of the time - and partially (the not always optimal) results of exporting the 3D heads so close to the gold master.
We are, however, working on evening things out. Unfortunately I can not say whether this can be patched or not.
So it seems like they really want the heads to look this way because the "too close to gold master" excuse does not fly this time.

MMM I compared the pic and the edit, and I see what you guys mean, but actually never really noticed it before. So this won't bug me if it stays this way or not :p

yyou are a bunch of Graphicsw**** :p

just a joke ;)

I believe these "small heads" would be a perfect fit into an RPG satire ... ;)

Yeah it is a bit annoying (well a lot initially but you don't really see it after a few hours or
so it was for me in G3).

I think the reason given for G3 was indeed the armour messes for the models...

Back
Top Bottom