The voice over for the new main character is a little bit too much, but so far that's all I can say is bugging me about this new game. I read somewhere it was supposed to be the largest game they have made, bigger than Gothic 3 if you can believe that, so I'm excited for the 12th.

Bigger than Gothic 3!?? That would be nice indeed.

I recently made a return to Gothic 3 with the latest community patch with alternative balancing turned on. It is a superb experience now and in some aspects on par with Gothic 2 Notr for me. Far from gothic I however.

I recently made a return to Gothic 3 with the latest community patch with alternative balancing turned on. It is a superb experience now and in some aspects on par with Gothic 2 Notr for me. Far from gothic I however.

Gothic 3 is the only Piranha Bytes game I've never finished. I've sunk a lot of hours into it on several occasions, but I always get burned out before the end.

It's a fun game with the patch, but the exploration isn't as satisfying as in Gothic 1&2 and neither is the combat.

Gothic 2 + NotR remains their Magnum opus imo. I just hope Risen 3 can come close to that.

Yes, and from the close-ups of the manual one can see that the rumors seem to be true that the last original founder of Piranha Bytes, Michael (Mike) Hoge, has left the building. He is not in the team photo, nor does his name appear in the credits.

I thought you are playing the same charter in all 3, is that not the case?
No, in Risen 3 you're playing a new hero. There's rumors that it'll be Patty's (half) brother.

Who cares who the protagonist is, what I care about is... is pure magic viable? I don't like swinging a barbaric weapon around, when I can master the elements/souls/energies to do my bidding. I've seen videos but so far most just show typical sword/shield setups, with the occasional spell (consumable at that!)

Who cares who the protagonist is, what I care about is… is pure magic viable? I don't like swinging a barbaric weapon around, when I can master the elements/souls/energies to do my bidding. I've seen videos but so far most just show typical sword/shield setups, with the occasional spell (consumable at that!)

It doesn't look like pure magic will be viable. All three guilds have access to magic this time and from all of the previews and LPs it sounds like magic will be a pure support off-hand skill like the guns or the crossbow. Maybe they wanted to avoid the usual overpowered (at least mid/late game) pure mage play. Guess we'll find out in a few days :) .

I wish one day they will add shields to their game and I can block attacks with it rather than dodge all the time...

Indeed. It worked out very well.

Gothic 3 also had shields, but that didn't work out as well. However, that was not because of the shields, but because the melee combat system was somewhat poor.

Yes, and from the close-ups of the manual one can see that the rumors seem to be true that the last original founder of Piranha Bytes, Michael (Mike) Hoge, has left the building. He is not in the team photo, nor does his name appear in the credits.

Which close-ups?

Anybody got a source for that?
Well given the amount of English previews available I believe him. Most of the news for this game is only available in in German.

Don't believe me just check our news section as that is all I can find.

Update: I found a few more, but they are from small sites only. Hopefully one of the larger English sites will post a review when its released.:fingerscrossed:

If not maybe one of our editors could write one on release. ;)

Last edited:
Which close-ups?

The close-ups of the game manual in the unboxing video that Morrandir linked to, starting at about 16:10 :) .

Eh? Hadn't heard that one until now.

OK, fairly big spoiler regarding the new hero based also on close-ups of the Risen compendium in the unboxing video.

On Patty's page we learn that after defeating Mara -and contrary to the old nameless hero who decided to settle down and fight no more- she was hungry for more adventure and joined her brother who was one of the last remaining pirate captains.
After acquiring a treasure map from a strange pirate, together they went on a quest to search for that treasure in a place called the Crab Coast.
Patty could never forgive herself when she had to bury her brother at the beach...
However, they reunited after Bones brought the brother back from the dead.
Fighting evil from thereon became a personal matter for Patty and so she became a heroine who always just wanted to be a pirate.

^ so I'd guess that Bones is the culprit why the new nameless hero has lost his soul. Looks like Bones struck a deal with a Shadow Lord and in exchange for his life, the poor sap had to leave his soul at the door.

Last edited:
I didn't buy Risen 2 cause I couldn't play a pure mage and I won't buy Risen 3 either unless a pure mage is viable!! Why developers shun a large section of the RPG audience by not having casters is totally beyond me. I loved G1-3 and enjoyed R1, but PB have lost me again. How can they claim to be returning to their roots when they don't have a pure caster option!?!

Back
Top Bottom