Robin Williams RIP

I think that maybe after you put your soul into a project, after it ends it becomes a bit depressing.. no matter how succesfull it is ?

Certainly seems that way :/ RIP and thank you for bringing smile to world, only wish the world could have done same for you too.

He had a history of drug (cocaine) abuse in the 70s/80s (he was a close friend of John Belushi who overdosed and died) and he was also an alcoholic in the mid 80s. Then, for whatever reason, started drinking again in the mid 2000s after 20 years of sobriety. He's apparently gone on rehab multiple times in the past few years trying to shake his demons.
Heavy drinking and not being able to win against this disease/addiction and to gain control over your life can very much cause or at the very least contribute to depression. That's where these celebrities become one of the common folks like us. There are probably dozens similarly related suicides in the US on a daily basis.

He was always a very troubled human being behind the scenes, based on what I've read about his personal life, and you could see it in his eyes during interviews. A great talent with an obvious gift for both serious and comedic acting. He used humor as a way to survive his inner demons - and it's so sad to hear he lost this battle.

I can't say I was surprised to read about it, though - as I always had a bad feeling about things not being well with him - and the circumstances sound disturbingly similar to what I would have imagined.

:(

Such a sad day. One of my favorite personalities he was, he always had this calm aura about him in some strange way. Really sad to hear about this but rest in peace, may what lies beyond bring you no sorrows.

Sad story. My female best friend said on Sunday - once again - that I look sooo much like Robin Williams - and that she liked him very much, too (as an actor).

He was Peter Pan for me ... :[

And my other favorite movie with him was What Dreams May Come. Ironic, in a way ...

Rest in Peace, Robin.

Oh definity he had some talent… So sad to hear him passing away so early :/

He did couple of amazing films..

Good morning vietnam
Insomnia
Awakenings
Will hunting
Hook
Alladin (voice)

I've never really been one to react much when a celebrity dies. Usually I just sort of say "oh, that's a shame", feel a bit sad if they're someone I really liked, and then move on. This feels more like someone I know has died, but I suppose he's been around and in the spotlight for as long as I can remember.

I remember watching Mork and Mindy as a kid and he's been an ever-present part of pop-culture since then. So many people had fun stories about him. He always came across as a real person, despite his success, and no one ever seemed to have a bad word to say about him.

I saw a bit of an interview with Jackie Chan yesterday, and of course they asked what he thought about it, and his response was "I didn't know him, but it feels like my best friend died." It seems like a lot of people feel that way.

It also came out today that he had early stages of Parkinson's.

Link- http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=884317

So RIP Robin you deserve it after giving me many laughs over the years. It's a shame about all the negative responses from people on social media.

I loved his acting in The Fisher King. Great movie to me.

Billy Crystal gave a new tribute speech for Robin at the The Emmy's last night.

I have a surprisingly large amount to talk about when it comes to Robin Williams. All from a consumer's point of view, of course, but from the point of view of a good consumer who, like so many others, are oddly saddened by this particular celebrity death, perhaps more so than others (such as the recent passing of the utterly brilliant Richard Attenbrough).

Early memories of The Williams factor are of a rather annoying, but occasionally funny, television character which had the rare trait of popping up in all kinds of different tv shows. The infamous Mork (1978-1982).

Unbeknownst to a youngster with viewing limitations the actor playing Mork had a much superior skill that only became apparent upon gaining enough years to be permitted their viewing. Robin William's Live Shows (1979-1986). A real hoot with the bonus of having that young adult 'a bit naughty' factor.

Then Good Morning Vietnam landed (1987), and the Robin Williams phenomenon exploded in every which way. You couldn't move for people talking about him and his skills. An awesome movie, even to this day.

A whole raft of 'great' William's films literally flooded the cinema screens at the rate of at least two per year, of which I personally rated the following: The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988), Dead Poet's Society (1989), peaking with The Fisher King (1991).

I use the term 'peak' because people were starting to get a bid bored of the old boy by this point. Five years of non-stop Robin Williams was bringing out all the real-life trolls, all micro-inspecting him and his activities and it got to that stage where the Academy probably were intentionally snubbing him, just because they were bored of him over-contributing to obvious Oscar-type films.

From the four movies I have already listed between 1987 and 1991, he had already received three Best Actor Nominations... but no wins...

Suddenly his movie career took an equal and opposite nose-dive. So much so that by the time Mrs Doubtfire landed in 1993 it felt more like a much needed comeback. Robin had finally returned to making classically funny Robin Williams movies.

Unfortunately, this was not the case and the future continuum of Mr Williams would be more of the Hook (1991) variety than the somewhat adult cheeky comic. Both Jumanji (1995) and Flubber (1997) seemed to seal him to a similar fate that we all know so well from both Eddie Murphey and Steve Martin.

When Williams finally won an Oscar (for Best... Supporting... Actor) in 1997 for Good Will Hunting, it felt more like a gift of guilt. A quick honour thrown out upon the realisation that there would likely be no more truly great Williams movies and the Academy had committed some grievous sin that required redressing.

By the time AI: Artificial Intelligence (2001) hit the screens he was one of the main sources of 'critical mistakes' allegations directed towards the movie by a sizable army of disappointed fans who felt the movie was 'spoiled' by being too cheesy. By modern ears, Robin Williams' voice is nothing but a voice, but for those who lived through the 1990s, just having Williams do the voice increased the cheese factor by degrees.

In 2002 he started 'going dark' as a means to eradicate the negativities surrounding his current reputation and his surprisingly menacing role in One Hour Photo once again saw people experiencing a new style of Williams movie, along with a new live stand up show the same year. But the reboot didn't really reboot anything, just kept the Ambulator ticking over.

And this is when he vanished from my, and many other people's, radar altogether. Appearing in this, that or the other. A new fan here or there, but nothing ever coming close to 'classic Williams'.

To hear that he has taken his own life upon the fear of the onset of Alzheimer's is sad, not because it is the death of a celebrity, but because it was so much what Williams was all about. He was the most 'classic' of clowns. The original circus clowns, who have big red painted smiles, but also a teardrop falling from their eye. With Williams, no matter what he did, for each and every smile there was an equal and opposite tear. It's what garnered three Best Actor nominations, countless box office smashes, endless offers of work with the very best Directors, and why we also shed a tear upon his death.

We are amused, shocked, surprised and tearful [at the idea of him cheating pain and the laws of euthanasia by cheekily killing himself], just as he has trained us to be throughout our life with him, we react to his death as we would react to him in life - is this serious? Is this a joke? Ahhh, it's Robin Williams and we're now behind the set, the filming finished for the day, alone with Williams, sharing the tears of a clown... when there's no-one else around.

Like the OP, I too never get worked up by celebrity deaths, but I did feel a bit more for Williams. That said, having seen the effects suicide can have on the family members left behind, I feel a lot more sympathy for them, whose pain will continue the rest of their lives, than for Williams who has been released from it.

Back
Top Bottom