Rock, Paper, Shotgun - The 50 Best RPG On PC

Writing opinions doesn't have much to do with authority. Anyone can do that.

Anyone can be President, would you say that the President doesn't have much to do with authority just because anyone can do it?

Don't you think you're being irrationally Blasé...?

And intelligent debate obviously isn't your thing…

Edit: ;)

I believe you have to have some form of residency in the US for some period of time. I haven't checked, but there are probably some criteria.

Just like you or me can't go to RPS and write an article for them without the editor having a say. I'd love to have been able to make that point to JDR, but it seemed he didn't want to expand on his "anyone can do it" masterpiece of explanatory debate.

I believe you have to have some form of residency in the US for some period of time. I haven't checked, but there are probably some criteria.

Just like you or me can't go to RPS and write an article for them without the editor having a say. I'd love to have been able to make that point to JDR, but it seemed he didn't want to expand on his "anyone can do it" masterpiece of explanatory debate.

So, you're saying we can't make our opinions known without RPS?

No, that's not what I said. You can have any opinion you want, but if you're presenting yourself as a 'professional' authority then you would be expected to act in that way and produce professional articles.

If they aren't projecting themselves as professional journalists then I guess I was mistaken that they are doing what they do for financial gain alone...

No, that's not what I said. You can have any opinion you want, but if you're presenting yourself as a 'professional' authority then you would be expected to act in that way and produce professional articles.

If they aren't projecting themselves as professional journalists then I guess I was mistaken that they are doing what they do for financial gain alone…

I don't know that you're mistaken about why they're doing it.

I do know that I don't understand why you think authority has to do with how you present yourself.

They can project themselves as what they want, but they can't be an authority unless they've earned it.

I could present myself as a "professional" authority, but if - in fact - I'm not an authority, it means just that - that I'm not an authority.

For that same reason, Angry Joe is not an authority either - because he hasn't established himself as a knowledgable gamer. He's popular, sure, but he's no more an authority on game quality than Britney Spears would be. Ok, perhaps slightly more :)

An authority is something given by those in power or earned by holding a significant and knowledgable position from which to speak.

Clearly, RPS doesn't qualify as we've already established. They're calling one of the worst PC ports in history the best PC RPG of all time.

Hence my question: Why do you care what they have to say?

No. People assume authority when they attain positions of power. There's no 'choosing' to have authority, if you present yourself as a professional then you also present yourself as an authority - it's almost two sides of the same coin, it's almost the same word spoken differently.

The person you should be asking about "why do you care about RPS?" isn't me but the thread starter. I've had some interesting debates with people about specific points raised, but I didn't promote the article nor 'care' about its existence.

I shan't be debating with you further, I'm already regretting not adhering to my own advice to myself just a few posts ago on the matter.

No. People assume authority when they attain positions of power. There's no 'choosing' to have authority, if you present yourself as a professional then you also present yourself as an authority - it's almost two sides of the same coin, it's almost the same word spoken differently.

Presenting yourself as an authority still doesn't make you an authority and it doesn't make it a position of power.

The person you should be asking about "why do you care about RPS?" isn't me but the thread starter. I've had some interesting debates with people about specific points raised, but I didn't promote the article nor 'care' about its existence.

I'm having an exchange with you, so I'm asking you. I don't actually care, though, it's more a way of making you realise the futility of your position.

I shan't be debating with you further, I'm already regretting not adhering to my own advice to myself just a few posts ago on the matter.

I understand that, I think I would feel the same way in your shoes.

In other words, you're backpeddling on your previous comment. I suppose you realized how stupid it was.

And now you're comparing the presidency to writing an article for RPS. :)

In other words, you're backpeddling on your previous comment. I suppose you realized how stupid it was.

And now you're comparing the presidency to writing an article for RPS. :)

You really are a joy to debate with aren't you...

Please, don't be at all afraid of explaining why 'anyone can write for RPS'. please just make obvious over-exaggerations and deliberate misunderstandings of obvious reasoning.

You stated 'anyone can do it' as your masterpiece of debating logic. I countered with an example of something else which it is claimed 'anyone can do it'. I'm not comparing being a professional game journalist with the presidency on a day-to-day activities basis - I'm challenging your exceedingly lazy and meaningless attempt at debate with the phrase 'anyone can do it'.

Once you have explained why 'anyone can do it' removes any form of sense of authority, and once you've explained how 'anyone can write for RPS' then I guess the debate can move forward.

If you just want to throw another crappy one-liner my way, feel free, I'm getting quite experienced with the whole ignore function of late...

You really are a joy to debate with aren't you…

Please, don't be at all afraid of explaining why 'anyone can write for RPS'. please just make obvious over-exaggerations and deliberate misunderstandings of obvious reasoning.

You stated 'anyone can do it' as your masterpiece of debating logic. I countered with an example of something else which it is claimed 'anyone can do it'. I'm not comparing being a professional game journalist with the presidency on a day-to-day activities basis - I'm challenging your exceedingly lazy and meaningless attempt at debate with the phrase 'anyone can do it'.

Once you have explained why 'anyone can do it' removes any form of sense of authority, and once you've explained how 'anyone can write for RPS' then I guess the debate can move forward.

If you just want to throw another crappy one-liner my way, feel free, I'm getting quite experienced with the whole ignore function of late…

I didn't say anyone could write for RPS, I said anyone could write an opinion.

It's pretty simply to understand really. At least for most people.

I didn't say anyone could write for RPS, I said anyone could write an opinion.

It's pretty simply to understand really. At least for most people.

If everything is so amazingly simple, how come you can't understand the difference between individuals writing random opinions that no-one will ever reference and paid professionals who only exist because they command an extremely wide readership and for who hundreds of thousands of people use as 'respectable' resource?

It's pretty simple to understand really. At least for most people.

You ever read a gaming quote on a game-box "JDR rates this game as Game of the Year!". Oh, no, that's right, the quote reads "RPS rates this game as Game of the Year" - oh look, one has 'value' whereas the other is some random forum try-hard...

So because this individual works for RPS and is being paid, their opinion somehow commands authority and has more value?

Nevermind that that has nothing to do with what I said. :)

The simple fact that you would refer to an opinion piece as a "respectable resource" tells me all I need to know.

I can see why DArtagnan grew tired of you as quickly as he did. You seem to have a hard time grasping simple concepts.

So because this individual works for RPS and is being paid, their opinion somehow commands authority and has more value?

Obviously... because they are 'professional' and therefore have to adhere to 'professional' standards which gives them the legitimacy to be a professional journalist in the first place.

Nevermind that that has nothing to do with what I said. :)

Oh, give it up already it's excruciatingly boring. I know exactly what you said and why you said it and have responded to exactly what you said with extreme accuracy - unlike anything you write.

The simple fact that you would refer to an opinion piece as a "respectable resource" tells me all I need to know.

Oh really, a top 50 list can be classed as an opinion piece now? Wow, the marvels of modern spin doctors. You'll be telling me the metacritic scores are just opinion pieces next...

I can see why DArtagnan grew tired of you as quickly as he did. You seem to have a hard time grasping simple concepts.

He didn't grow tired of me, I grew tired of him. I know you love to twist the crap out of everything, but that's like you haven't even read how the conversations played out...

I'm quite sure they could have put Super Mario RPG at number 1 and they could still rely on "yeah, but it's just a list of what we like", but the difference between some joe listing their favourites and an esteemed publication is that the esteemed publication is supposed to be "about something" beyond personal subjectivity, it's supposed to have some kind of extra-convincing basis for the rationale behind the choice.
Excuse me? So news outlets can't have opinion pieces? The start of the article actually jokes about doing an entirely objective list and here you are demanding one. It's quite impossible to do something like that when simply saying that a game is or isn't an RPG is subjective!

They're authority is that they play a bunch of games. That's it. Take a half dozen of us and we've got just as much authority. What's more, if you ask them again next year then the chances are good that the list will change - and I don't just mean to accommodate new games. In fact, PC Gamer does a top 100 every few years and games move around wildly.

Excuse me? So news outlets can't have opinion pieces? The start of the article actually jokes about doing an entirely objective list and here you are demanding one. It's quite impossible to do something like that when simply saying that a game is or isn't an RPG is subjective!

They're authority is that they play a bunch of games. That's it. Take a half dozen of us and we've got just as much authority. What's more, if you ask them again next year then the chances are good that the list will change - and I don't just mean to accommodate new games. In fact, PC Gamer does a top 100 every few years and games move around wildly.

I didn't say they can't have opinion pieces, let's face it, most news articles are opinion pieces, I said that a top 50 list can't be classed as an opinion piece, because it's the same presentation concept as Game of the Year, or review score, or handing out awards. Awards are decided by opinion, but the giving of the award is so entrenched in inevitable reaction that there has to be some sensible criteria for the award, otherwise it's a laughing stock.

So these guys preempt the laughing stock by being oh so clever and mocking their own pretense that this is in some way a newsworthy article instead of at least trying to put some form of basis to their reasoning beyond personal opinion (such as the reasons I list plus more alternatives). Wow, it's like they know it's all bullshit... but do it anyway... when the really cool thing to do would be to not play the bullshit game in the first place.

If something is impossible then don't do it... find a different way to communicate what you want to communicate. Also, definitions of RPG might vary, but there's very few games that are so borderline as to be completely uncategorisable - because most people who make RPGs start out by making their game RPG-like and apply a descriptor to the game which tells you its an RPG - because they want to sell it to RPG fans - who will notice if it's way way way off being an RPG.

Their authority is that they are professional journalists who command a very wide audience. Their article is presented as a group of people who play a bunch of games, because they want to associate themselves with being the little guys and are scared of patronising their audience which is mostly made up morons who think they are respectable journalists.

No, half a dozen of us would not make the same authority, we are not paid, have no qualifications and, most importantly, do not command a wide readership. Every single person here could rip the piss out of a random AAA game, but if RPS gives it 10/10 then it will sell 100 times better than if we all praise a AAA game while RPS give it 1/10.

I don't care how often they change the list nor whether other gaming 'magazines' are equally inept, that has no impact whatsoever on my point or any of the points I've made.

Oh really, a top 50 list can be classed as an opinion piece now? Wow, the marvels of modern spin doctors. You'll be telling me the metacritic scores are just opinion pieces next…

The only thing I can say at this point is that I'm starting to feel a little embarrassed for you. :-/

I'm pretty sure I grew tired of that guy after a few of his first posts.

Then again, I'm not easy to please! :)

Back
Top Bottom