Rogue Trader - Alpha Gameplay Impressions

The Alpha previews and impressions all agree the writing is better then the two last games.
I disagree with this - I think RT writing so far is better than Kingmaker but not as good as WotR.

I played more and I can already predict how the story will unfold..

I disagree with this - I think RT writing so far is better than Kingmaker but not as good as WotR.

I played more and I can already predict how the story will unfold..
An epic showdown with a chaos demon. As that's usually the plot of most games and books. That are killing Xenos in the name of the emperor. Very brutal times it was.

According to the lore it takes place before the great rift brings the chaos gods. Which means the Emperor is not a living corpse yet, and Horus's Hersey hasn't happened yet.

As for the story that makes me sad as the article and videos are praising the writing.

Last edited:
An epic showdown with a chaos demon. As that's usually the plot of most games and books. Though according to the lore it takes place before the great rift brings the chaos gods. As fr the story that makes me sad as the artcles and video are praising the writing.
No, not quite.

Only read this if you (potentially) want to be spoiled:

From what's been revealed, I think your family had some connection to chaos gods way back when, so I reckon you will develop psyker power. And it may potentially develop further if you choose to side with chaos gods. Of course, you can probably choose to reject it and keep your companions alive instead

No, not quite.

Only read this is you (potentially) want tk be spoiled:

From what's been revealed, I think your family had some connection to chaos gods way back when, so I reckon you will develop psyker power. And it may potentially develop further if you choose to side with chaos gods. Of course, you can probably choose to reject it and keep your companions alive instead
Hmm..thanks that does make sense given game lore. I updated my post as well.

On the other thread it was mentioned Owlcat is using there own custom rules. I wonder if your player character plays a role in the coming great disaster I mentioned above.

It'll be interesting and probably require a few playthroughs.

On the other thread it was mentioned Owlcat is using there own custom rules. I wonder if your player character plays a role in the coming great disaster I mentioned above.
I don't know anything about WH40K lore so I just googled it - kinda hope it won't tho because

It may feel too similar to story of WotR - worldwound vs. great rift, demom vs. chaos, mythic vs. psyker power...

I don't know anything about WH40K lore so I just googled it - kinda hope it won't tho because

It may feel too similar to story of WotR - worldwound vs. great rift, demom vs. chaos, mythic vs. psyker power...
Good point but Owlcat might be bound by contract to follow the lore like they did with Pazio and the Pathfinder games. If so they have experience with that type of stuff at least.

I'd prefer the ability to create my own party rather than be stuck with cringy writing and tropes. I usually like party companions but only when done well.
I'd prefer if we had a mix of both - some games following the pre-made-companions-with-story model, and other games following the create-your-own party model. But in recent years/decades, we have way too much of the former and almost none of the latter. Only high-profile game I can even think of without story companions recently is Wasteland 3.

Of course, some people will argue that in many of the games with story companions, you have the option to create your own instead, but it's really kind of a false choice since you miss out on a lot of the game's "content" that way.

Only high-profile game I can even think of without story companions recently is Wasteland 3.
You forgot Solasta?

I don't think you are "missing out" on content, you are merely swapping companion story with more freedom to build your own party

Of course, some people will argue that in many of the games with story companions, you have the option to create your own instead, but it's really kind of a false choice since you miss out on a lot of the game's "content" that way.
Well you do miss out on the companion banter and personal stories, but those who want custom party's already know that. As for me I'm fine with the story companions.
You forgot Solasta?

I don't think you are "missing out" on content, you are merely swapping companion story with more freedom to build your own party
Two different games with different focus on story telling though.

Last edited:
You forgot Solasta?
True, I suppose in my mind I don't consider it a full blown/high profile RPG, was more of a combat/tactics game. (Haven't played Lost Valley, just the OC)

Solasta actually handled the custom-built party in an interesting way too, iirc you had to specify the personality of each of your custom characters and then it slotted them into the story/cutscenes as it determined most appropriate.

I think you are missing out, but you gain something else. If that's worth it, each must decide on his own.
Solasta actually handled the custom-built party in an interesting way too, iirc you had to specify the personality of each of your custom characters and then it slotted them into the story/cutscenes as it determined most appropriate.
Absolutely. I wrote about it somewhen after finishing the game and said that it would be awesome if this approach would be developed further. Imho it was very promising already and considering the game's small budget the approach could really lead to awesome results and real innovation in cRPGs.

I mean, take a look at OpenAI's new chatbot ChatGPT and what he's already capable of in terms of creating stories. I don't see why in the next years there shouldn't be games where companion quests and dialogues for custom companions are written dynamically by the game itself tailored to the specifications (class, race, gender, background erc.) the player sets for them.

Sounds like it will scratch the itch for a lot of people, which is good news as it seems very in-depth and will have the usual Owlcat quality to it. The more I read and learn, however, the more I feel like this will be a pass for me but I have changed my mind before. I just don't feel any excitement or interest in what has been revealed so far. Usually I am all over reading about the companions, the mechanics, the lore and don't feel it. Maybe a mix of the setting and the dread of an Owlcat's lengthy game play with only TB combat.

Usually I am all over reading about the companions, the mechanics, the lore and don't feel it. Maybe a mix of the setting and the dread of an Owlcat's lengthy game play with only TB combat.
I don't mind that they went turn-based here, but I hear you about the length. I'm hoping this won't be quite as long as the Pathfinder games. I'm growing tired of every new RPG being 100+ hours long.

Last edited:
I think you are missing out, but you gain something else. If that's worth it, each must decide on his own.
But that's what I meant - you aren't losing content, you are swapping one over the other.

But that's what I meant - you aren't losing content, you are swapping one over the other.
I don't see how a user created party is "content". It's an option, sure, but the game won't support it in any way except mechanically (which it does already with the companion character, them being the same classes as you can create). There's a ton of companion related content in WOTR as you well know. And that's replaced by... what? You can create a mage character instead of using the mage character already in the game? With zero story content attached?

I don't see how a user created party is "content". It's an option, sure, but the game won't support it in any way except mechanically (which it does already with the companion character, them being the same classes as you can create). There's a ton of companion related content in WOTR as you well know. And that's replaced by... what? You can create a mage character instead of using the mage character already in the game? With zero story content attached?
You and I seem to have different definition of content. You "gain" ability to have full control of your party from their starting stats/class and freedom to create your own story of them (i.e. content).

You use premade companions, you don't get full control of their class and starting stats, you get to experience their premade story (content) but lose freedom to create their own story.

Also, if someone value the freedom to roll your own party more than "losing out" dev made content, then its worth for them. Who are you judge whether thats not worth it or not

You don't agree, thats fine. Agree to disagree.

I don't mind that they went turn-based here, but I hear you about the length. I'm hoping this won't be quite as long as the Pathfinder games. I'm growing tired of every new RPG being 100+ hours long.
I have been more comfortable with TB of late - That recent King Arthur game with Mordred, Midnight Suns, and Wartales, being three examples of TB games I am enjoying.

I also enjoy very long games IF I really like them, i.e., like on my personal game rating a 9 or 10. I like to really sink into games I love. On the other hand I don't play a lot of games, and find few games I really love, so I have more time.

I love WOTR but if I had to play that all TB ... I honestly doubt I would have ever finished it. The battles just drag out so much.

Rogue Trader won't have any other option so if it is as long as WOTR, and I have less interest in the lore and setting, then I have trouble seeing myself enjoying it enough to finish. That being said I read that "trash mobs" act 3 at a time and maybe it speeds up the TB combat enough. I would still need to get excited over the setting, the companions, and the rest of the non-combat stuff though.

Speaking of custom parties vs. premade companions, I see both sides of this and both add content but it is not an equal exchange.

A game that comes with robust and in-depth companions to form your party will have a great deal of content related to them - relationships, quests, dialogue, lore, inter-actions, and so on. If you have the option to make your own full party from scratch (like you could in Kingmaker and WOTR) then you gain content as Purple pointed out - in that you can customize every thing about them, make your own back story for them in your head, and fully control them. So there is content there. But it is far less content. Even if the game lets you add some basic personality and background to them like Solasta, those custom made party members will never have the full extent of content that comes with the developers companions.

So you do in fact lose content, and you lose a great deal of it, if you make your own party but you also gain some content by doing so, just a whole lot less of it. For some that doesn't matter as they have little interest in relationships and companions and if they do want some of that they just make it up in their head. I have done that a few times. In Kingmaker I made my own partner to the main character. He had no quests or content like a premade but I knew his story in my head.

But from a purely in-game measurement (i.e. excluding what you RP in your head - as making up content in your head for these companions is not game content by any stretch of the imagination) you will lose a lot of the game content going with a custom party as custom made are usually pack-mules and meat shields and their small set of generic one liners, e.g., combat yell, selected, go there, etc. won't come close to replacing all the developer made content that comes with premades (depending on the game of course).

Last edited:
I did for WotR because 1. I wanted to help shaping the game & support them with additional funding 2. I was too impatient to experience the game

No regrets, I got my money's worth with WotR but its not something I will do often.

I got rogue trader key for free because I'm Owlcats discord staff (helping out with managing their discord) and they are giving away lots of free keys via events so its not like you always have to pay ^^
I also wanted to support them and supported WotR on kickstarter and preordered Rogue Trader. That said I played 3 betas over the last 10 years and never wish to do so again. More power to you for doing it. I know beta testing improves the final product.

Back
Top Bottom