RPG Codex - GOTY 2023 Results

You're overthinking it. Hey, it's the Codex, it's strictly about the culture war, "sex scenes and sexual orientations".
I'm not trying to go out of my way to defend the Codex, but that's blatantly false. There is definitely a good size chunk of morons there that focus on those things, but they're not the majority. The problem is that the morons are so loud they just seem like the majority.

Just have a look at the BG3 thread if you have time to waste; if you don't trust me, it's evidence enough. Konjad is criticizing RPGHQ, but they still prioritize gameplay over there.
Like the Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty thread, which has this as its first comment: "Whose idea was it to put ecelebs and discord trannies in a game that isn't about hunting them down and killing them?"

Or the thread titled "The Best RPGs made exclusively for white NES and Gameboy players".
Cesspools, all.

Is there an RPG focused forum somewhere (besides this one, which is on the small side) that I don't know about, harboring people who aren't trollish racists and misogynists? Or are RPG players just overall usually pieces of shit?

You're overthinking it. Hey, it's the Codex, it's strictly about the culture war, "sex scenes and sexual orientations".
I get it that you had your feelings hurt because people there are often impolite, but slandering the whole forum because someone somewhere offended you is a bit extreme.

Konjad is criticizing RPGHQ, but they still prioritize gameplay over there.
Quote me where I criticize it.

Is there an RPG focused forum somewhere (besides this one, which is on the small side) that I don't know about, harboring people who aren't trollish racists and misogynists? Or are RPG players just overall usually pieces of shit?
Well, if there is one I hope you don't find it, so it may remain a forum harboring people who aren't trollish racist and misogynist pieces of shit.

200w.gif

You're changing the meaning again, but either way, you're contradicting yourself right there since it's precisely about the point you're trying to make, whether you or the Codex doesn't think it's an RPG - because, frankly, your posts seem very confusing about this.

Not that it matters; what other people post don't all necessarily need to be relevant to your particular point. I wasn't making any reference to that part nor quoting you, was I?
Structurally, your post directly followed Konjad's, who's final paragraph mentioned how JA3 is barely an RPG. Konjad was replying to a quote by me. And I couldn't see much else from anybody else about this topic, so I think most people in my situation would infer you were joining in on that particular point. I apologise if that wasn't the case.

Regarding your post, it is a very difficult post to reply to. Assuming you even wanted to be replied to. To which apologies if you didn't.

If you don't want to be replied to, never, ever start a post with "I don't understand why". That's one of the biggest red rags to a bull you can possibly make on a forum.

If you did want to be replied to and you were genuinely curious as to why games such as JA3 or Elden Ring get discussed more than other games in this context, then you really shouldn't have concluded with a definitive exclamation of "who cares.".

The "who cares" at the end completely upends the post. It's a statement that you've already decided what the position should be on the topic and that you not understanding is irrelevant to your interests and that you don't really care for anyone to even try to explain why said games get discussed more.

And this is often the case around here whenever anyone passes any slither of discussion about the RPG'ness of any game - one is suddenly confronted by about half a dozen users who post posts of this kind - seemingly curious, but, in fact, actually already stuck in their view so much that any response is crowded out with extremely aggressive "who cares" posts.

Hence my reply. The clue as to why these discussions come up is in the title of the forum. The extreme hysteria this topic swells in the same half a dozen users every time, I find to be quite astonishing, precisely because it's a "well, duh" thing. The clue's in the title of the forum.

It's like if you were a member of a romance novel forum, primarily for Mills and Boon and similar type novels, and suddenly someone started talking about and promoting how great James Herbert books are at romance. Like, sure, James Herbert books have relationships and sex, and therefore romance elements, but they're not really in the spirit of the forum.

So someone says, erm, can we discuss how this James Herbert thing is getting a bit out of hand please? And then a bunch of people start shouting "oh, who fuckin CARES" at them for saying that. You know what I mean.

If you don't understand, ok, let someone explain. If you don't care, then don't incite people to think you want an explanation due to lack of understanding.

Hence my reply which truncated the games you mentioned and just focused on the parts of the post that seemed most relevant to your post - the bookends, of not understanding and not caring.

I have to excuse Konjad; Infinitron told him he was doing a good job defending the dex here, so he's all around the place yapping, pissing where he should not, and probably abused vodka.
No problem - he's doing it for 13 years now - we are used to it.

Jagged Alliance 3 and Baldur's Gate 3 are both good games. But a site like the RPG Codex, which favours choices with consequences in RPGs, should recognize which of these two is the better one. I think most of the Codexers know it, but it's more fun for some of them to troll everyone a little bit.

Since the Codex vote counting system is ranking by means, and people can vote as many games as they have played or like, the system essentially picks the least unliked game instead of the most liked game as in our sum based counting system. A rough generalisation, though. Had they used a sum based system, BG3 would have won by a clear margin (1136 vs 835). I bet their GotY results would be very similar to this site if they used similar counting system than we do. Their system seems to lead to surprises every year, but hey, majority vote does not always win in many democratic countries either. The system generates discussions, which I suppose is the meaning of it for an online forum.

Like the Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty thread, which has this as its first comment: "Whose idea was it to put ecelebs and discord trannies in a game that isn't about hunting them down and killing them?"

Or the thread titled "The Best RPGs made exclusively for white NES and Gameboy players".
Cesspools, all.
based

Hmm...starting to think I shouldn't have sent in the link. Oh well.🤷‍♂️
Every kind of list ranking games is always a good discussion generator; one of the best, really. Especially when the ranking is in any way controversial. So even while such news pieces usually don't have much value on their own, they at least serve the purpose of inciting people to contribute their 2 cents to the discussion, so it's not all bad.

Congrats, you win the internet.

The way it works on 'dex is more descriptive which games are good and niche, popular, which games are mediocre or bad, reagardless of their popularity. It allows you to find good niche games, something other "GotY" awards do not have, and makes them worthless because either way everybody knows BG3 or Starfield.

There's no site like 'dex when it comes to niche RPG games.
Update:

Days since the results were published: 3

New posters to the Caves of Lore thread interested in the game as a result of the poll: 0

Update:

Days since the results were published: 3

New posters to the Caves of Lore thread interested in the game as a result of the poll: 0
At least Caves of Lore ended up #5 on their list though. Here it was #18, behind some pretty weak stuff.

I have to excuse Konjad; Infinitron told him he was doing a good job defending the dex here, so he's all around the place yapping, pissing where he should not, and probably abused vodka.
I am sharing my thoughts and opinions as I care about RPG community and especially RPGCodex, thanks to which I found many wonderful games in my favorite genre I would never find if not for 'dex. In many cases these games are absent on RPGWatch and other RPG communities. Without 'dex a lot of knowledge about RPGs would be lost, including CRPG Book by Felipepe and many other contributors!

Meanwhile you are so butthurt about it because someone somewhere disagreed with you that you disparage 'dex for no real reason.

You even added me to ignore lists (on 'dex and possibly here but idk how to check it) because I dare to have different opinion than you and call you out on your slander of 'dex.

How can we discuss in a civilized manner if you just throw a tantrum when someone disagrees with you?

The post about my criticism of RPGHQ you quote? That's not a criticism, why did you cut the rest of the sentence where I basically say I was wrong with my assumption?

Back
Top Bottom