RPG Codex - Top 70 PC RPG List

The bias isn't about preferring Arcanum - it's about ignoring its flaws because you're emotionally attached to it - and focusing on the flaws of Skyrim, because you're emotionally positioned against Bethesda.

There's nothing wrong with an emotional attachment. But it's key to recognise what it is - and not to pretend it's something else, like a remotely objective position.
Or perhaps it's just because the flaws are more relevant for the person in question to enjoy the game? Every game has flaws, and hence literally anyone could just flip this argument upside down and start spouting this nonsense in reverse fashion, your angle is unreasonable.
Some people like different genres and subgenres, it's perfectly sensible to expect an old school oriented list from the Codex, go poll gamers who started playing in the 00's if you want a RPG list with Skyrim, it's no big deal. Stop releasing your frustration of it here please. You won't find a single "objective" top 'whatever' list on the internet and there wouldn't be a use for it anyhow.

However, placing Arcanum where you did - and including Wizards and Warriors (every real RPG fan knows in his heart that game was completely and utterly broken) whilst omitting FO3 and Skyrim is pretty obvious bias.

Unless you're in denial, that is.
You're at least as biased as anyone I've seen comment on this thread, you're just pretending otherwise.

Also don't assume that game hours equate enjoyment, it's the context in which it happens that's more relevant. I've played Diablo 3 for 300+ hours, I finished a character on HC inferno when it was released and I still think the game was shit. I simply did it as a challenge for myself, out of a lack of anything challenging to play at the time.
Skyrim gameplay drastically changes with mods, there are perk reworks, difficulty reworks, various gameplay enhancements, followers, 'survival mods and probably a lot more gameplay affecting changes that I've failed to mention, so even though you're going through the same crappily designed dungeons and settings the experience is different, Elder scrolls games have always depended on their ability to immerse you, so if you're not able to do that without mods it really doesn't matter how great the dungeons or whatever else is.

Or perhaps it's just because the flaws are more relevant for the person in question to enjoy the game? Every game has flaws, and hence literally anyone could just flip this argument upside down and start spouting this nonsense in reverse fashion, your angle is unreasonable.
Some people like different genres and subgenres, it's perfectly sensible to expect an old school oriented list from the Codex, go poll gamers who started playing in the 00's if you want a RPG list with Skyrim, it's no big deal. Stop releasing your frustration of it here please. You won't find a single "objective" top 'whatever' list on the internet and there wouldn't be a use for it anyhow.

Unfortunately, claiming I'm frustrated or that I have some kind of desire to see Skyrim on a Codex list - does not make it so.

We're on the Watch and we all know the Codex around here. I'm not sure there's a single person on this board that's surprised Skyrim isn't on that list.

I'm pointing it out - because the list was presented on the Watch - and since then, people from both sides have tried explaining why Skyrim isn't there.

That's all it is really. What can I say, I enjoy talking about games and I take an interest in how human beings operate.

Also, yes, it's very, very obvious that that the flaws of Arcanum are being overlooked because they're "no big deal" to the people on the Codex. That's the bias part - and that's why the list is subjective.

If Arcanum had worked as a design and if it was finished, it would indeed have been a fantastic game. But it didn't work very well - and was utterly without balance. That's without mods, by the way.

Arcanum had a shit combat system, middling visuals (at best), an unfinished world - and so on.

The IDEA of Arcanum was great, however. I know - Fallout in a Steampunk setting, right? That's the idea - and that's why it's so overrated on the Codex.

That's good enough for #5? Sure, to the Codex it is. Not to someone trying to be objective.

For the millionth time, there's nothing wrong with being subjective. It still is what it is, though.

If you already know, then why not just admit it? Why the denial?

You're at least as biased as anyone I've seen comment on this thread, you're just pretending otherwise.

If I'm biased - you have to point out how and why. Rationalise your claim, instead of just making it.

That said, all human beings are biased by nature. That's not the surprise or the trick.

The trick is to admit when it happens - because it helps us understand ourselves and others.

Also don't assume that game hours equate enjoyment, it's the context in which it happens that's more relevant. I've played Diablo 3 for 300+ hours, I finished a character on HC inferno when it was released and I still think the game was shit. I simply did it as a challenge for myself, out of a lack of anything challenging to play at the time.

You enjoyed yourself - so it's enjoyment. The fact that you still think the game is shit is not the point. You can live with a woman for years and enjoy most of your time with her, and then something can happen or you can just wake up - and she's suddenly a person you hate and she's a bitch.

Probably the most common kind of human denial and bias is about the ones they've loved and lost. That's pretty much the essence of subjective opinions. The women you used to love you now hate. So she's a terrible person, right? Not if you're being objective she's not - but you wouldn't be, because you're emotionally invested.

Which is a relevant analogy - because to the Codex, games are as emotionally potent as women - or so it seems :)

I'm afraid I don't believe you spent 300 hours doing something you didn't enjoy. That would be another kind of denial.

Skyrim gameplay drastically changes with mods, there are perk reworks, difficulty reworks, various gameplay enhancements, followers, 'survival mods and probably a lot more gameplay affecting changes that I've failed to mention, so even though you're going through the same crappily designed dungeons and settings the experience is different, Elder scrolls games have always depended on their ability to immerse you, so if you're not able to do that without mods it really doesn't matter how great the dungeons or whatever else is.

Yes, mods can change things significantly - but the vast majority of ALL mods use assets, content, systems, and so on developed by Bethesda.

Bethesda created the foundation and they ENABLED modders, not the other way around.

To pretend modders deserve most of the credit is an altogether different kind of denial.

It's all part of the SUPREMELY obvious bias against Bethesda.

I'm sorry, I can't see it any other way. It's ludicrously unfair to suggest modders created your fun. They might have made the final difference, but they're not responsible for the game you're playing - modded or not.

The simplest explanation for all of this:

Almost all of you love Fallout - it's your holy grail of gaming. It's indeed a very good game, so it's very understandable.

Then Bethesda went and got the license - and we all know the history of Fallout 3 vs the Codex.

Almost ALL of the Codex were so heavily invested against FO3 - and it would physically hurt to acknowledge it wasn't the kind of betrayal you wanted it to be, and there was a lot of good to be said about it.

I don't think it takes much of a brain to see how that relates to Skyrim.

Acknowledging the best parts of Skyrim without dismissing them as "unimportant" would literally go against how you've chosen to hardwire your brain paths ;)

Ok, that's the simple explanation - but I wonder if there isn't some truth to it? What do you guys think? ;)

Last edited:
In fairness to the Codex, I've yet to see anyone try to claim that the list was supposed to be objective.

This is a top 70 PC RPG list, Skyrim would belong to worst 70 PC RPG list, none would take a top RPG list with skyrim on it seriously.

Maybe top 70 random world simulation without story or gameplay list it would fit.

Yes, mods can change things significantly - but the vast majority of ALL mods use assets, content, systems, and so on developed by Bethesda.

Bethesda created the foundation and they ENABLED modders, not the other way around.

To pretend modders deserve most of the credit is an altogether different kind of denial.

It's all part of the SUPREMELY obvious bias against Bethesda.

I'm sorry, I can't see it any other way. It's ludicrously unfair to suggest modders created your fun. They might have made the final difference, but they're not responsible for the game you're playing - modded or not.
You forgot to add another keyfactor: quality of mods.
If we take the personal opinions of each and everyone discussing here, about which mods could or would enhance Skyrim (or any other Bethesda game) for them, how many would we get? A few hundreds? Out of several tens of thousands....

To criticize Bethesda for their quality, claiming that modders safe their crappy games, while ignoring that about 80% or more of said mods wouldn't meet any quality standards of the critic, is mind-boggling.

In fairness to the Codex, I've yet to see anyone try to claim that the list was supposed to be objective.

Which is why I literally don't understand why the debate is ongoing.

Maybe it's because they're not acknowledging that it's NOT objective. They're trying to rationalise emotions. That can't work.

Well, I'd love to see it work :)

This is a top 70 PC RPG list, Skyrim would belong to worst 70 PC RPG list, none would take a top RPG list with skyrim on it seriously.

Maybe top 70 random world simulation without story or gameplay list it would fit.

Thank you for demonstrating irrational emotional bias so effectively ;)

Which is why I literally don't understand why the debate is ongoing.

Maybe it's because they're not acknowledging that it's NOT objective. They're trying to rationalise emotions. That can't work.

Well, I'd love to see it work :)

Are you referring to the debate in this thread? My guess is that it's because none of the people involved seem to be willing to just let it go. ;)

Are you referring to the debate in this thread? My guess is that it's because none of the people involved seem to be willing to just let it go. ;)

I've tried at least 3 times - and then someone pops up with a long post to keep it alive.

But you're right. I'll try harder ;)

Still kinda interesting, though. Maybe that's just me.

This debate is going on, because 2 fanboys are butthurt because their loved game is not on a subjective top 70 list of another site.

My beloved Bards Tale 2 and Evil Islands are not on the list, too. Am I bitching about it? - no. I asked felipepepe to include them in his book - and the two are in. Easy.

This debate is going on, because 2 fanboys are butthurt because their loved game is not on a subjective top 70 list of another site.
We're not butthurt nor do we even expected it to be on the list. We even accept that the Codex and his members have their own, unique view about it. But when that kind of argumentation and justification spills outside of the Codex then yeah, expect some rebuttal.

But when that kind of argumentation and justification spills outside of the Codex then yeah, expect some rebuttal.

Because of this we include all Elderscrolls games in felipepepes book with an extended list of least 210 games, mods and all. Good?

Thank you for demonstrating irrational emotional bias so effectively ;)

It's actually very objective:

Does more than 50% of the people consider at least a decent story a valid part of an RPG? Yes
Does more than 50% of the people consider decent gameplay as part of an RPG? Yes

Does skyrim objectively have at least a decent story? I never heard anyone claim this.

Does skyrim objetively have at least decent gameplay? That is a tougher question, it depends on what you look for, but I don't consider playing with physics or exploring randomly generated worlds as RPG based gameplay, the combat I never heard anyone claim it is any good, Ok there are some generic quests and conversations and such. Maybe it can objectively pass on this.... but decent is not good enough to be on a top 70 list.

To me objectively for an RPG to be added to a top 70 RPG list, it should have at least one of these two things in the good deparment.

To me this is an either/or situation. Either you include both Morrowind and Skyrim or none of them. Oblivion can probably be left out as it completely lacked player choices of any kind. Skyrim and Morrowind are very similar though, and it's not like the story or characters of Morrowind were fantastic. Only nostalgia makes it seem that way.

To me objectively for an RPG to be added to a top 70 RPG list, it should have at least one of these two things in the good deparment.
... and now you're going to tell me, how a Gothic 1 can score #26 with your definition. Objectively.

Better story than Skyrim? I'd say no, but I don't claim being objective.
Better gameplay than Skyrim? See above.
And yes, I'm aware that there's more than a decade between those two titles. But being objective, should still allow to compare them.

If you dare, you can come up with a side-by-side comparison, using HiddenX's CRPG-Meter for Skyrim. I'd love to see in which departments a Gothic 1 beats Skyrim - objectively.

Again, I have no problem with Gothic 1 making in onto the Codex's list and Skyrim not - but don't claim objectivity.

… and now you're going to tell me, how a Gothic 1 can score #26 with your definition. Objectively.

Better story than Skyrim? I'd say no, but I don't claim being objective.
Better gameplay than Skyrim? See above.
And yes, I'm aware that there's more than a decade between those two titles. But being objective, should still allow to compare them.

If you dare, you can come up with a side-by-side comparison, using HiddenX's CRPG-Meter for Skyrim. I'd love to see in which departments a Gothic 1 beats Skyrim - objectively.

Again, I have no problem with Gothic 1 making in onto the Codex's list and Skyrim not - but don't claim objectivity.

Story (3), Combat (3,5) and Difficulty (3,5) would probably all be higher for Gothic. It has more RPG elements in that regard. That being said, Morrowind would in no way score higher than Skyrim.

To be honest, the only bias I'm seeing here is yours. You've mentioned previously that you don't like Arcanum at all, which is fine, but that doesn't mean the people who like it are necessarily biased for older games.

Personally, I think #5 is much too high, but I can definitely understand why it's in the top 20 for so many crpg fans.

What would be my bias exactly? Against arcanum, that's laughable. Now consoles, I'm bias against them but I've been trying to work on that. Arcanum though, a game I haven't given a thought since about a month after it's release and have largely forgotten. I don't care enough about it to have a bias.

As I said even the reviewer had only 1 positive sentence about it in a full paragraph and that puts it at #5 and skyrim can't break the top 70.

So there's no favoritism towards old games here or at the codex? These two sites don't largely cater to people who prefer old games? It's not a bad thing, I'm not trying to insult anyone but it seems plainly obvious to me. In 17,000 post you can't see that.

You can honestly say that new games are given the same chance on these to sites as the old ones?

If so then that's you opinion and I can respect that but obviously will disagree.

It's actually very objective:

Does more than 50% of the people consider at least a decent story a valid part of an RPG? Yes

Valid? Obviously.

Vital? No.

Vital for a GOOD RPG? Maybe, I wouldn't know. Personally, I don't need a decent story if the rest of the game is good.

Does more than 50% of the people consider decent gameplay as part of an RPG? Yes

Ehm, no - it doesn't have to be part of any RPG. For a good RPG, decent gameplay is definitely a desirable aspect for most people, sure.

Does skyrim objectively have at least a decent story? I never heard anyone claim this.

There's absolutely no way to establish what an objectively good story is. I think it has a lot of interesting story content, particularly in the guild questlines.

The main story was reasonably engaging, which is more or less tantamount to decent.

But that's my own subjective opinion which is of little use here.

Beyond that, I find 9 out of 10 stories in RPGs passable at BEST. Oblivion sucked ass, however. Skyrim is much better.

Not true, exactly, as I loved the Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion and a small handful of the sidequests. But overall, the story was weak and the NPC dialogue abysmal.

Does skyrim objetively have at least decent gameplay? That is a tougher question, it depends on what you look for, but I don't consider playing with physics or exploring randomly generated worlds as RPG based gameplay, the combat I never heard anyone claim it is any good, Ok there are some generic quests and conversations and such. Maybe it can objectively pass on this…. but decent is not good enough to be on a top 70 list.

I think it had fantastic gameplay. Superb gameplay, even. Best archery implementation bar none. Best stealth gameplay in an open world RPG. Best mount implementation in an open world RPG. Most definitely one of the best - if not THE best exploration implementations I've seen in any game, anywhere.

Immersion factor beyond almost any other game out there. Immersion part of the gameplay? Hard to say, but arguably so.

But that's my subjective opinion.

Where Skyrim failed was in terms of providing a satisfying power curve - and because the game tries to do SO much, with so many avenues of gameplay, each individual system suffered. Stealth wasn't as good as a pure stealth game, for instance. But it's still the best stealth of any open world RPG - bar none.

Another issue I have with Skyrim - and even more so with Morrowind and Oblivion - is the obsession with having hundreds of dungeons.

I don't understand why they don't just make 20-50 dungeons with a ton more unique content in each.

That said, Oblivion had one guy dedicated to dungeons. Skyrim had EIGHT guys dedicated to dungeons - and they didn't randomly generate them. That's why nearly every single dungeon in Skyrim has something that sets it apart.

Do they all look a bit similar after 100 hours? Indeed they do, but they still have something you haven't seen or read before. That's where it sets itself apart massively from Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind AND Oblivion. Something which a lot of people fail to give it credit for.

Also, it did a half-assed job of the faction war.

Lots of things that could have been a lot better, no doubts there.

But if you understand the history of open world RPGs - and you know the amount of effort it must have taken to combine so many systems into a reasonably cohesive world - and make it all work, there's just no way you can ignore this game completely in a top 70 without being 100% subjective.

I don't mean to be rude, I really don't. But you don't seem to have the faintest grasp of what objectivity means. It doesn't mean guessing that other people probably somewhat agree with you. It means doing research and listening to every single person you can listen to.

True objectivity is a theory - so let's not even go there.

But objectivity in terms of taking into account what a game has done for the genre and for everyone playing it is something I believe you can talk about - and you can approximate some aspects of quality, but it'll be very hard.

This is why I focus on Skyrim - because it's an extreme in terms of mainstream popularity.

It doesn't mean I'm right - but I'm making an effort to support my position with rational arguments. I'm not guessing based on nothing at all. I'm not using my own appreciation for the game as the entire foundation for my opinion - then "approximating" that most people probably agree with me on some level.

There might not be two people on this earth who agree about everything in Skyrim.

Story (3), Combat (3,5) and Difficulty (3,5) would probably all be higher for Gothic. It has more RPG elements in that regard. That being said, Morrowind would in no way score higher than Skyrim.

If you prefer stealth and archery - Gothic is a joke compared to Skyrim. Skyrim also has mounted combat.

As for magic, I'd say it's a toss-up.

I'd love to see in which departments a Gothic 1 beats Skyrim - objectively.
Lydia doesn't block passages. And is not so crappy to whimper "I'm married" all day long. In Gothic 1. Oh, should I mention there is no grinding/filler content in Gothic?
If it matters, Fallout:New Vegas on the same engine and OLDER than Skyrim has an option to tell your sidekick to move away from a blocked spot so you don't have to fus-ro-dah him or her. And every bloody sidekick in F:NV has more than one line to say about things. Sadly, F:NV contains grinding to level cap then yawn out of boredom.

The department is called AI. The second department is called character design. The third department is called balancing/ruleset/no-endless-respawns design.

There is a certain list. Skyrim is not on it.
Big deal.

Make a list of your own, put only Skyrim on it if that matters to you so much. You won't see me crying.

Back
Top Bottom