RPG General News - Assassin's Creed: Hexe

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Insider-Gaming collected some info about the next Assassin's Creed game ('Hexe' German = 'Witch'):

EXCLUSIVE - EARLY DETAILS ON ASSASSIN'S CREED HEXE

Details on Assassin's Creed Hexe are few and far between. Officially, the series' Vice President and Executive Producer, Marc-Alexis Cote, alluded that the game will be different from past entries and developed by Ubisoft Montreal. From the game's official tease, we know that it will lean heavily into witchcraft, with the game rumored to be set in Central Europe during the 16th-century Holy Roman Empire (via Bloomberg).

Insider Gaming understands that the game is still in a relatively early stage of development and is expected to be released in 2026 on the Infinity platform. Hexe is understood to be a more linear experience compared to its predecessors with some elements of open-world exploration, somewhat akin to some of the earlier Assassin's Creed games. As already reported by Insider Gaming, Hexe is poised to have a single female protagonist, currently named Elsa, who has some supernatural abilities.

[...]
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

Not a fan of Assassin's Creed microwave-reheated formula, but the single female protagonist - a spellcaster even - feels like a refreshing change of pace for the series, and for that alone I may give it a try.

Nothing I'm holding my breath for, regardless.

Opposite for me but to each their own. As I prefer to have the option of customizing my player character. Oh well this isn't the man game anyeay. Just a side project.

As the next mainline RPG sequel takes place in China with two protagonist.

Last edited:
I prefer customizing too, where possible. AC never had a single female protagonist before but had single male protagonist on multiple occasions, so that's a bit of a novelty for such a long standing series.

Either way, doubt it will be an amazing game, but I'm willing to be surprised. The fact that there will be spellcasting has me a bit intrigued, I'll admit.

The premise sounds cool (except for not being able to customize the PC), but I think this is going to be a smaller, more linear AC game than the ones I like.

It does count, so I stand corrected!

I had completely forgotten about it, as I never played it. Seems like it was released in 2012 too. Time flies.

I like the setting, like often with AC games, and I wouldn't mind something shorter, even if it was more linear, but I'm not any more into those Ubisoft games anyway.

I'm sceptical about the supernatural abilities, as I don't think they fit the AC theme. It may be a strange thought since it's sci-fi, but I'd argue the core of the gameplay isn't - it's historical. I suppose they just have exhausted all the other appealing settings or want a change.

Yeah, the protagonist is climbing in full armour better than Alex Honnold, killing hordes of enemies, has a telepathic connection with a bird and in the latest entry can change sex at will. None of those abilities is supernatural in anyway? :p

Realism is in the eyes of the beholder...

Last edited:
Yeah, the protagonist is climbing in full armour better than Alex Honnold, killing hordes of enemies, has a telepathic connection with a bird and in the latest entry can change sex at will. None of those abilities is supernatural in anyway? :p

Realism is in the eyes of the beholder...
I got bored of the franchise with Syndicate, so I don't know about those things. When I see this, I'm glad I stopped.

What's the point of the main protagonist changing gender during missions, by the way? As a disguise boon?

What's the point of the main protagonist changing gender during missions, by the way? As a disguise boon?
It had something to do with the sci-fi stuff you wrote about story-wise although I suspect the real reason is being afraid of the social media woke crusader armies. Never bothered me though. I played female Eivør because I just felt like it. Those games are not about realism anyway.

I think the real reason was that in this age, the other 50% of the world, as outrageous as this may sound, also play videogames and enjoy having the option for a female protagonist they can more closely relate to. The way it was presented is as if the memory of Eivor was fragmented and the machine restoring Eivor's experiences couldn't determine their gender, a simple and harmless plot device for players to choose their Eivor based on their own preference.

Of course, anyone can choose to blame some brand brainwashed propaganda, if they so prefer. This is the internet, afterall.

Last edited:
I got bored of the franchise with Syndicate, so I don't know about those things. When I see this, I'm glad I stopped.
Then you stopped before playing the better titles imo. I think the newer, open-world AC games are vastly superior to the old ones where, to me, it felt like you were just repeating the same loops over and over again. The newer titles are also much less gamey and more immersive.

Then you stopped before playing the better titles imo. I think the newer, open-world AC games are vastly superior to the old ones where, to me, it felt like you were just repeating the same loops over and over again. The newer titles are also much less gamey and more immersive.
Perhaps I'll try it one day. I really enjoyed the games, but I realized with Syndicate that I just had played too many of them.

It had something to do with the sci-fi stuff you wrote about story-wise although I suspect the real reason is being afraid of the social media woke crusader armies. Never bothered me though. I played female Eivør because I just felt like it. Those games are not about realism anyway.
Ah OK. If you can choose before starting the game, or before each segment, this isn't really a supernatural ability, is it? ;) So that leaves telepathy with the bird, which isn't really the same level, either, but fine. We don't know much about the next game, anyway. Perhaps it's just mild witch stuff.

The gender has never bothered me either, nor fixed characters you couldn't customize. But yes, perhaps a significant category of players appreciate the choice. I always find it amusing when people start branding the 'woke' warning signal when their own gender and race isn't exclusively represented as usual.

True, an appeal to a larger group of people must be one of the main reasons. I usually choose a female character too, and didn't have a problem with the way they had implemented the character sex change in the menu, although I found it amusing. By being afraid of the woke outrage, I mostly referred to the disclaimer in the beginning of the game. On a phone, can't find it right now, but you can Google it.

Do you think that half of gamers are female? 🤔 I thought gaming still was a male dominated hobby although there are more female gamers than a few decades ago no doubt.

Fun fact the last three games were supposed to have only female leads, but an executive who was fired fixed them to focus on the male players instead. Look it up

The developers had the last laugh though as they made the female MC cannon.

True, an appeal to a larger group of people must be one of the main reasons. I usually choose a female character too, and didn't have a problem with the way they had implemented the character sex change in the menu, although I found it amusing. By being afraid of the woke outrage, I mostly referred to the disclaimer in the beginning of the game. On a phone, can't find it right now, but you can Google it.

Do you think that half of gamers are female? 🤔 I thought gaming still was a male dominated hobby although there are more female gamers than a few decades ago no doubt.

If you trust stat sites and surveys, the metrics say it's about 50/50 by now, (48/52 last year in the US alone) but in truth it's likely a bit skewed because of mobile/flash games being dominated by young women (I suppose Farmville, Candy Crush and the like). Possibly it's still about 65/35 whereabouts for desktop PC gaming, but it's definitely not as polarized as most people think.

It's a demagogic group big enough for a company with resources like Ubisoft to care about. If nothing else, to cash out of gaming women too.

As much as I despise mobile gaming I can't deny it's profitable and has more players then the PC and consoles. You don't even need expensive hardware to play.

It's also true a lot women in my life also play mobile games as well.

Back
Top Bottom