RPG General News - Top 25 Tactical/Strategy RPGs

I disagree about Dungeon Rats. Yes it put its focus on tactics, but I don't think it's a great game.
Age of Decandence on the other hand only has one character only. I think people define tactics games as having multiple characters with positioning, so I wouldn't consider that game either.
We can agree to disagree -

I think Dungeon Rats has tons of nice possibilities both inside and outside of combat - from different skill types, to crafting. You can win the game with any combination of skills and characters if you know what you're doing - i.e. use the right tactics.

I understand the point on having just one character for Age of Decadence, but similarly, the combat makes use of a variety of weapon types and utilities that you need to use to be successful. It's turn-based and it makes use of tactics, just not squad-based ones. If you think positioning doesn't matter, then you'd be wrong as it's critical when fighting with 1 unit versus multiple. Even more so than some other games that are squad-based.

I am not saying that Age of Decadence or games which are 1 player only are not tactical. But I think they are generally not considered tactics RPGs. If you do, then you'd probably also need to include tons of roguelikes into the list, games like Dungeonmans, and Underrail as well.

Regarding Dungeon Rats: Crafting skills are obsolete in this game for your active party. You just have people stored at your campsite doing the crafting for you. There are no interesting decisions regarding that.

The list seems nonsensical to me. Mutant Year Zero ranked higher than Solasta for example. It's like he just randomly threw names in some spots.

The list seems nonsensical to me. Mutant Year Zero ranked higher than Solasta for example. It's like he just randomly threw names in some spots.
If the list was based on tactical depth I would agree, but that would put Battle Brothers closer to the top spot. This list just seems to be based on personal favorites.

I've seen lists like this and it's fine to say they are good or great tactical games (depending on your definition of "tactical" of course) but I have a problem with "OF ALL TIME." Really? Of all the games in history only (or mostly) the games in the last 10 or so years is the best of all time? What about Fallout 1 and 2? What about JRPG originals like Final Fantasy? I get that it's a personal list of favorites, but it certainly shows either how young the gamer is or they have some prejudice against older games.

I've seen lists like this and it's fine to say they are good or great tactical games (depending on your definition of "tactical" of course) but I have a problem with "OF ALL TIME." Really? Of all the games in history only (or mostly) the games in the last 10 or so years is the best of all time? What about Fallout 1 and 2? What about JRPG originals like Final Fantasy? I get that it's a personal list of favorites, but it certainly shows either how young the gamer is or they have some prejudice against older games.
I think its one game per franchise and FF got its entry.
Regarding Fallout: Wouldnt consider 1 and 2 "tactical". Afaik in the first 2 games you cant control your companions. And personally I wouldn't consider Fallout Tactics as great game.

Back
Top Bottom