RPGWatch - Game of the Year Awards 2022: Best RPG - Visitors Vote

I am happy for ELEX 2, I am a big fan of PG and the whole series. I liked a lot both ELEX 1 and 2, and I hope they will complete the series with ELEX 3 - even if I am aware ELEX 2 did not sell well. I appreciate how successful is Elden Ring, but I don't enjoy it at all. We had many good games last year, hopefully this year we will have have great ones, not juts good :)

In a scoring system percentages are somewhat misleading - for comparison the scores:

None scored 154 points
ELEX II scored 104 points
Elden Ring scored 101 points
Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness scored 52 points
Expeditions: Rome scored 51 points
King Arthur: Knight's Tale 46 points
Knights of the Chalice II 28 points
all others less than 20 points

Thanks to HiddenX and RPGWatch team for setting up and compiling this survey.

Indeed there is a huge list and mix of interesting games here (too many to play and therefore vote for!) and well deserved to the winning RPGs and to all appeared on the list and attracted this audience to vote for.

I am happy for ELEX 2, I am a big fan of PG and the whole series. I liked a lot both ELEX 1 and 2, and I hope they will complete the series with ELEX 3 - even if I am aware ELEX 2 did not sell well. I appreciate how successful is Elden Ring, but I don't enjoy it at all. We had many good games last year, hopefully this year we will have have great ones, not juts good :)
I loved both ELEX games for the most part, but Pirahna Bytes really needs to make a better endgame. The final act in their more recent titles, especially ELEX 2, is a boring slog.

I'm playing Elden Ring now and really enjoying it. I can't yet say whether or not I like it more than ELEX 2. We'll see how I feel once I reach the endgame.

I don't have high expectations for Elex 2 but maybe I do need to play it after seeing these results. I would have thought Elden Ring would have taken the top spot.

After trying Elden Ring over a weekend, I still do not quite understand the hype (all-time highest for current-gen consoles on Metacritic). It's a good game, no doubt of that, and the gameplay loop is very addictive. It reminds me of WoW. Perhaps a defined version of that loop with superior mechanics and art. Apart from some berry-picking, this game is almost pure combat, exploration, and character development. Dialogue is minimal and almost everyone you meet in the world is hostile. The story is there but it is not told in a way we are used to in story-driven games. It is mostly shown between the lines (some of the art, especially the monsters, is truly awesome). There are many good things to be said about the difficulty and reduced hand-holding compared to other modern AAA games, but in my opinion the game does not deserve the hype it has gotten. Not sure whether Elex 2 is any better, but I do agree that Elden Ring did not deserve GoTY from this site. In my opinion there should be a separate name for these action RPGs without dialogue (including Diablos etc.). To me Elden Ring is not an RPG even though it has character development, but that doesn't make it any worse game. It focuses on a few things and shines in those.

For FromSoft virgins who are still wondering whether to spend their time on this: if you liked WoW back in the day, you'll probably like Elden Ring too.

ELEX II and Elden Ring are very close and Black Geyser and Expeditions: Rome, too.

Expeditions Rome should have been 2nd or 3th, IMHO. But maybe it will help Black Geyser team to sell couple dozens of units. Its a game of smaller indie team that needs some credit more so its ok.

Game that doesnt need this kind of credit is Elden Ring - they already won maaaany accolades.

After trying Elden Ring over a weekend, I still do not quite understand the hype (all-time highest for current-gen consoles on Metacritic). It's a good game, no doubt of that, and the gameplay loop is very addictive. It reminds me of WoW. Perhaps a defined version of that loop with superior mechanics and art. Apart from some berry-picking, this game is almost pure combat, exploration, and character development. Dialogue is minimal and almost everyone you meet in the world is hostile.
I agree with you. Even the combat has its flaws.
- bigger limbs or wings of monsters go through your hero like a wind which is a BIG flaw for a combat focused game.
- at least some monsters needs better AI so they wont start attack air when you are already at their backs.
- clipping errors for bigger weapons that go through clothes/armor, especially bigger helmets - again big flaw for a game developed by experienced big team. This thing is IMHO laughable given the fact that some players bash indie games created by few devs for similar errors but they act like cowards/sheeps when the same problem appears in hyped FromSoftware product.
- graphics is solid but far from great
- the idea to have no journal is utterly stupid in this game because NPCs walk around and you can easily forgot what is their situation or what they told you x days ago in different area. The game doesnt need to hold your hand but should keep track of your progress at least on basic level.

It somewhat reminds me of the hype of Oblivion. :)

Most of those are nitpicks to be honest. You talk about flaws regarding combat, but no action-RPG last year had better combat.

Elden Ring is absolutely an RPG. Unless you're one of those narrow-minded types who thinks a game must be party-based and have TB combat or something similar to be considered an RPG. It's an action-RPG but an RPG nonetheless.

Some of the things being said here make me wonder if the people saying them have actually played the game like they're claiming. It sounds more like rationalizing because they don't like that the game is as popular as it is.

Really fun seeing people bring the stupidest flaws to attack a game lol; im surprised you didnt say the weapons are bigger than the MC, everyone should delete it instantly.

- the idea to have no journal is utterly stupid in this game because NPCs walk around and you can easily forgot what is their situation or what they told you x days ago in different area. The game doesnt need to hold your hand but should keep track of your progress at least on basic level.
is your wrist broken?

For me, 2022 hasn't been a great year for RPGs.

Mount & Blade 2 has been disapointing with little new content. Lot of tactical games or action games that barely qualify as RPG. Elex 2 deserves the prize... but it had little opposition.

I spent the last three months of 2022 playing just one game, and I've still not finished it.....I think school work really cut into my gaming time the past two years. We'll see what happens this year.

Some of the things being said here make me wonder if the people saying them have actually played the game like they're claiming. It sounds more like rationalizing because they don't like that the game is as popular as it is.
I don't have to rationalize. I loathe the entire genre and wish it burns in hell were it belongs. So I don't get the appeal and never will, and find their opinions to be valid.

I don't have to rationalize. I loathe the entire genre and wish it burns in hell were it belongs. So I don't get the appeal and never will, and find their opinions to be valid.
You also don't need to repeat the same thing in every thread that mentions a soulslike.

Kiss my behind as the saying the goes I'm sure you heard it before. As this isn't your forum you don't decide what a member can post, and your the only one with a problem.

A weak year on choices really. Next year will be a full on brawl comparatively.

Even if Black Geyser may not "deserve" it's position it's nice to see something like it reach that high to help sell copies. Always rooting for the underdog! I think Midnight Suns would have done better had it not released so late.

Seems like ever year in the last decade we think next year will be great, and what happens is delays, delays, and more delays. Though next year will be tough if they all release.

Well, we're next year. :cool:

What do we know so far?
  • Baldur's Gate 3: August
  • WH40k Rogue Trader: ?, good guess Q3 but may slip into 2024?
  • Starfield: first half
  • Gothic 1 (remake): March
  • STALKER 2: ?
  • Colony Ship: July
  • Dragon Age Dreadwolf: maybe 2023?
  • Diablo 4: June 6
  • Hogwarts Legacy: February 10
  • Avowed: maybe 2023?

? = not announced

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom