RPGWatch - GotY 2015 Awards - Most Promising RPG

I'm not really excited about any of those games yet, including the ones I donated to on KS. Hopefully time will change my mind…

While the result is not exactly what I've voted for, Dark Souls 3 not being top 3 totally redeems the list and confirms that the audience's taste shifted to less grind, more roleplay.

You're right. It's quite surprising that Dark Souls 3 isn't in the top 3.

All the people who wrote Dark Souls III we're included in the tally?

A bit surprised to see Deus Ex made it to top three, it's probably the most un-anticipated game for me in the whole list. Other than that, I like what I see, just a bit worried about Torment's being a massive wall of text instead of a game, but hopefully it won't be that bad.

I didn't include it my top 3 list, because I much prefer retro party (turn or rtwp) to modern AAA action games with rpg elements. But if I had to pick the best AAA action rpg in the last 5 years, it would be Deus:Ex Human Revolution. It had one of the best stories, best acting, and it gave you multiple ways to solve quests and navigate area. I can't think of a premade character I identified with more or npcs I found more engaging in any AAA rpg game. The only thing it lacked in my opinion was a lot of replayability, because its not a sandbox game.

Nice - 2 of my three made it in - Tides and DDOS.

I've been going back to the past (via the handy right menu) and going by most promising lists from previous years, the end results were predictable:
A Mass Effect game
A Deus Ex game
A high profile isometric Kickstarter

I'd have been surprised if Torment had not been on that list :). I'm also looking forward to it a lot, but at the same time I'm afraid that some people will be dissapointed. After all Planescape holds such a special place in our hearts. The preview I read here hinted a text heavy game with old fashioned rpg gameplay. Intresting to see how the modern audience takes it. In any case devs have a lot of work ahead of them. Wasteland 2 release wasn't exactly a home run and it took them a year or so to get it "perfect".

As for rest of the games, I can't wait to play next Deus Ex and orginal sin 2, so those are definitely right choises as far as I'm concerned :) Kingdom Come deliverance has also tons of potential.

Intresting to see how the modern audience takes it.
I don't think Candy Crush Saga and Farmville audience will ever buy it. First they'd have to learn how to read. ;)
Other modern audience… Destiny victims? Nah… They buy only what's previously overhyped although, as on Couch's comic says, although it has written the word "garbage" all over it.

I don't think Candy Crush Saga and Farmville audience will ever buy it. First they'd have to learn how to read. ;)
Other modern audience… Destiny victims? Nah… They buy only what's previously overhyped although, as on Couch's comic says, although it has written the word "garbage" all over it.

lol, I have a few of those (in bold) at works. They will probably be The Division victims soon as well.

I think Dez was talking about modern RPG players. You know, the ones that need voice over for all the dialogues and pretty 3D graphics.

Every game on the top nine list are good choices.:celebrate:

1. Torment: Tides of Numenera
  2. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  3. Divinity: Original Sin 2
  4. Mass Effect: Andromeda
  5. Dark Souls 3
  6. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  7. XCOM 2
  8. Grim Dawn
  9. Enderal - The Shards of Order
So congratulations to the winners and I have nothing else to add.
(PS: My personal trolls & detractors can kiss my behind)
massmoon.gif

Last edited:
I think it's interesting to think about how EA plays into anticipated titles. Without EA I think Grim Dawn would have been higher and Darkest Dungeon would be in the top ten (both technically 2016 releases).

I know I didn't vote for Grim Dawn because I feel like I've already played it, but would have voted for it otherwise. Obviously Nov/Dec/Jan releases will get caught in the year change. But even though I loved Grim Dawn will it stay in my mind in Dec 2016 voting?

I, for one, a mglad that there is no JRPG on the list, despite the editorial and news submission shift of 2015.

Interesting, I don't really look at Dues ex as an rpg, it's more of an action game.

Interesting, I don't really look at Dues ex as an rpg, it's more of an action game.

It's described as "Deus Ex is a series of cyberpunk-themed first-person action role-playing video games." by google. My brain just calls it a shooter. It's a very popular derivative though which tweaks a lot of people's desires and I'm happy to believe people when they say it's nothing like a shooter.

Well Human Revolution allowed you to get all the upgrades by the end of game. So character building wasn't really composed of hard choices. There were non-violent approaches and dialogue choices that had reprecussions. Though, in general I would agree it was pretty weak on the RPG elements.

I am hoping that Mankind Divided is stronger in the RPG areas.

Last edited:
It's described as "Deus Ex is a series of cyberpunk-themed first-person action role-playing video games." by google. My brain just calls it a shooter. It's a very popular derivative though which tweaks a lot of people's desires and I'm happy to believe people when they say it's nothing like a shooter.

It's interesting that people call fallout 4 not an rpg, but call dues ex one? It has far less interactions then fallout. Just an interesting observation.

It's interesting that people call fallout 4 not an rpg, but call dues ex one? It has far less interactions then fallout. Just an interesting observation.

Yeah, and this is why I was surprised to see it being upvoted so much. Probably a lot of players are reminiscing on the original, masterful Deus Ex. I didn't like the last one that much, felt too close to a Batman or Metal Gear Solid game - which are also good games, no doubt, just not the kind of games I'd put in a list next to Torment, D:OS and Mass Effect, games which are pretty different between themselves too, but in my opinion are all spelled with a capital R in the RPG label they wear.

Are you sure it's the same people saying both those things?

Further more, I'm not sure anyone called it a non-RPG, just not a very good RPG (which is different from calling it not a good game).

"Most Promising RPG" to me means the RPG I most look forward to playing based on my expectations at the time. And I admit that I like action games, so that's why Mankind Divided is on the list but not number one. It looks like an RPG/FPS/Sneaker hybrid similar to Human Revolution. We can argue all day is that's an RPG or not...

Back
Top Bottom