RPGWatch - GOTY 2021 - Best RPG

Astonished by 3rd place, would also have loved to see ATOM and/or Wildermyth further up.
Nonetheless, I'd love to try Chronicles Of Myrtana - is this suitable for someone who never played Gothic before?

I think yes, but no more than just playing Gothic 2.

The thing about Gothic (1/2) is that you have to be willing to push past the frustration of the first couple of hours. Yes, the controls suck. Yes, combat is hard. You will get past it though and if you do it is one the most glorious games you will play in your life.

I don't think talking about the ongoing work & mods on GOTY's top 3 is off-topic. For many here it's the reason why they like the games and voted for them.

My surprise for #3 was not related to the quality of the mod, but it was just out of the blue for me. Perhaps I missed the discussions about the game, it seemed very quiet. ATOM: Trudograd is good if somewhat small in scope, and Wildermyth has been praised a lot, I was expecting one of them in the top 3 too.

My surprise for #3 was not related to the quality of the mod, but it was just out of the blue for me. Perhaps I missed the discussions about the game, it seemed very quiet. ATOM: Trudograd is good if somewhat small in scope, and Wildermyth has been praised a lot, I was expecting one of them in the top 3 too.

AFAIK, this site essentially arose as primarily a fan site for Gothic, being German in server location and evolving in 2006 from RPGDot.

I wasn't around in 2006, but that was the heritage I gathered from various posts when I've looked into the site's heritage and biases.

I feel sure someone here could add to that more, but whatever, Gothic is to RPGWatch what Fallout is to RPGCodex is the point regardless of the details.

So I think for many who likely just lurk this is still the place to maximise Gothic related products. But I agree, this site really doesn't seem to vocalise itself in any great way like other forums & it's always difficult to imagine where 3-10 get placed.

Similar to Vogel games, there's normally one in the chart somewhere, but people have long since stopped bothering to talk about them much.

I don't think talking about the ongoing work & mods on GOTY's top 3 is off-topic. For many here it's the reason why they like the games and voted for them.

With Chronicles being released late in the year, I think the people who love Gothic were too busy playing the game. It took me 75 hours to complete and I used most of my spare time playing the game and not checking on this site or others that much.

Other fans were waiting on the 1.2 patch so they didn't have much to say until that was released. The patch was released about two weeks ago. Finally, there wasn't much hype for this game before release. I knew nothing about it until RPGWatch had a news bit that it was released. I don't get my hopes up on mods until they are released.

Astonished by 3rd place, would also have loved to see ATOM and/or Wildermyth further up.
Nonetheless, I'd love to try Chronicles Of Myrtana - is this suitable for someone who never played Gothic before?

Depends of how tolerant you are to that sort of design. I remember really enjoying playing to Gothic 1&2, about 20 years ago. But the gameplay (and graphics!) of that sort of game has evolved quite a lot since then.

Personally, I installed the game , loaded the mod, walked around the boat for a couple of minutes... and quickly noticed that it wasn't for me.

Depends of how tolerant you are to that sort of design. I remember really enjoying playing to Gothic 1&2, about 20 years ago. But the gameplay (and graphics!) of that sort of game has evolved quite a lot since then.

Personally, I installed the game , loaded the mod, walked around the boat for a couple of minutes… and quickly noticed that it wasn't for me.
Red alert..incoming mob with pitchforks incoming. As those are fighting words on this forum. Not kidding as I expressed that opinion before and the thread went hot.:biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom