Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Release Day

Got my key a week ago, but I'll be waiting for the obligatory patches before firing this one up. If it is even half as good as the prior game, it should be excellent!

Ehm, what? How did you arrive at that number? I don't see why the existing engine couldn't work like Fallout.

That said, it would probably be even more slow and clunky ;)
Because WL2 cost about 5-6 million.

I know backers and others have told HBS they'd love to see a Shadowrun game in the style of Fallout 1 & 2. IIRC, HBS basically said "we'd love to make one" but just can't get the kind of budget we'd need for something like that yet.

PCWorld has a kind of interesting review, in that the reviewer's main criticism is that SRHK gives the players too much freedom.

PCWorld has a kind of interesting review, in that the reviewer's main criticism is that SRHK gives the players too much freedom.

Modern reviewers in a nutshell.

Because WL2 cost about 5-6 million.

From scratch.

Here, they already have an engine and they have tons of assets and all the core mechanics.

Essentially, all they need is a 2D world map and expanded exploration functionality.

Certainly would be enough for me.

If they claim to need 5 million for that, that's utter bullshit. They're just being opportunistic, that's all.

They're milking this formula for what it's worth and people are lapping it up.

That's all good, as fans are happy. But I don't think it'll last forever.

Congratulations on the release! I look forward to playing it once it's patched up.

Essentially, all they need is a 2D world map and expanded exploration functionality.

A W2-style overland map would work for me; it provides a sense of exploration without requiring a huge number of assets.

Almost done downloading. 11GB? Seems quite a bit bigger than the other games.

The thing is if they don't have the budget why don't they make a pitch of an open world game for their next module? It would get them many more pledges.

I think this is all just an excuse, because they are part of the decline too. I wouldn't trust a bunch of Seattle hipsters to create good culture. They probably also believe that linearity is good, inserting memes is good, having NPCs tell you what to do every two minutes is good, inventory management is "a waste of time", etc.

So far so good. If you liked Dragonfall you will also like this game.

Been playing it for a few hours, so far loving it. Best thing is, got 3 games for the price of less than one!
Combat is similar to Dragonfall, which is not a bad thing. The setting and story is totally different of course. The matrix sections did change significantly.

Streamer going through it:
http://www.twitch.tv/adamkoebel

Added value: does voice acting (rather well) which, for some, means roleplaying.
As a consequence, watching the screen is not even required as he reads everything and all. Voiced story delivery.

I'm starting to seriously hate Harebrained!:biggrin:

I'm having deja-vu's...

My week-end is compromised. It's gone, Jim, let it go...The hours i spent on HK last night were beautiful and i barely managed to stop myself for playing even more hours.

I played Hong Kong for a few hours last night and based on initial impressions I got exactly what I was expecting - more of the same as Dragonfall with some minor improvements. To me this is not bad at all, even though I would love to see a bigger budget game in a Shadowrun setting too.

Back
Top Bottom