Witcher 3 Share your first impressions

The Witcher 3
I feel like I'm moving at snail pace with the main quest, but that Ruler of the Skellige island secondary quest chain was awesome.

I'm also impressed how Kaer Morhen looks exactly like in The Witcher 1 in term of layout (with a few repairs, clutters and proportion are a smaller).

I feel like I'm moving at snail pace with the main quest, but that Ruler of the Skellige island secondary quest chain was awesome.

I'm also impressed how Kaer Morhen looks exactly like in The Witcher 1 in term of layout (with a few repairs, clutters and proportion are a smaller).

If you want to take a break from the main story I recommend taking a few hours and exploring that whole area. There is a lot of great things to find up there that can help you in the mid levels. Plus it was fun as it was the only place that you are just exploring without any quests. Just off on your own looking for things.

I have to say that the underwater exploration is the bees knees. Haven't had so much fun since Morrowind. The sunken castle in the lake had lots of goodies to discover.

Last edited:
If you want to take a break from the main story I recommend taking a few hours and exploring that whole area. There is a lot of great things to find up there that can help you in the mid levels. Plus it was fun as it was the only place that you are just exploring without any quests. Just off on your own looking for things.

That was my intention. ;)

I've been taking a break from the main story for like the last 15 hours. My Geralt doesn't care about Ciri, he's all about "what is hidden up/down there".

The sunken castle in the lake had lots of goodies to discover.

Sunken castle? Have you stumbled upon it or is there a quest leading to it?

Sunken castle? Have you stumbled upon it or is there a quest leading to it?
Well one of those question marks in the southern Velen Lake is a sunken castle.

It also has some treasure chests, and Witcher diagrams.

Ok, maybe more like a manor. No quest, except maybe an equipment treasure hunt, perhaps, although I never got any quests for this school, despite the base equipment being in Velen. :/

So I am quite a few hours in the the Game. Haven't left Velen except to do Velen related main quests and crafting in Oxenfurt.

I am level 14. done with the main quests in Velen. Wonderful stuff. Now lawnmowering the map for question marks and other hidden stuff, and doing all the quests below my level. There are a few areas that are above my level, so I figure I got to leave those for later. Hope I am not overlevelled by the time I go to Novogrod and continue there.

I'd advise moving on. The quests below your level aren't worth doing, and yes, you will be over-leveled if you keep playing the game like that.

Not quite sure what you mean. Are you saying you're worried about missing some gear because there's no marker?

If so, I wouldn't stress about something like that. There's far too much stuff in the game.

Yeah, I've avoided spoilers on treasure hunts so far... Just want exploration to be natural (as can be within the game's limitations). Don't need markers, but want to be able to find the griffon gear for my signs based build. Haven't found much else gear as good for signs.

Hope I am not overlevelled by the time I go to Novogrod and continue there.

You will have plenty of overlevelled situation by game design, I stumbled on a level 2 quest in a level 12-16 area and I remember a level 4 quest around Novigrad despite the place being level 10+ in general.

It actually makes me wonder how quest level were attributed…

Yeah, I've avoided spoilers on treasure hunts so far… Just want exploration to be natural (as can be within the game's limitations). Don't need markers, but want to be able to find the griffon gear for my signs based build. Haven't found much else gear as good for signs.

What limitations are you referring to?

As far as exploration being "natural", I think your OCD method of lawnmowering back and forth is probably your biggest enemy. I used to do the same thing in open-world games, but I find it more fun to not be so mechanical about it.

You will have plenty of overlevelled situation by game design, I stumbled on a level 2 quest in a level 12-16 area and I remember a level 4 quest around Novigrad despite the place being level 10+ in general.

It actually makes me wonder how quest level were attributed…

Yea I ran across a level 4 quest that pretty much forces you past a level 25 griffon, unless you take measures to give it wide berth, but on the other side was a level 20 water hag or such if you are too far off. It's a bit of a trap if you explore naturally.

What limitations are you referring to?

As far as exploration being "natural", I think your OCD method of lawnmowering back and forth is probably your biggest enemy. I used to do the same thing in open-world games, but I find it more fun to not be so mechanical about it.

Yeah, I like to see everything the game has to offer. But I can't climb up trees, or enter locked windmills. ;)

I prefer the Ursine school as it's the best looking gear.

Geralt in heavy armor? Perish the thought! I might be using Ursine swords though.

Heavy armor is just CDPR's bow towards those who complained that there is not enough gear.

Geralt in heavy armor? Perish the thought! I might be using Ursine swords though.

Heavy armor is just CDPR's bow towards those who complained that there is not enough gear.
Well it's mostly made of leather, and to me heavy armor is plate mail.

bear-school-armor-set-1024x557.jpg
The only other armor that fits Geralt is the Feline Armor.

mastercrafted-feline-armor-set-1024x558.jpg

Back
Top Bottom