Shroud of the Avatar - Free to try

Welcome to HateRPGsWatch. That's what it seems like anymore.

Comments like this scream victimhood. If you don't agree with my point of view I will claim hatespeech. :)

He's starting to sound like Aubrille and Eye, lol.

Its ok to have differnt opinions on RPGs
I love Elminage and Xulima.
I hated Dragon Age and Mass Effect.
Balders Gate was better than Ultima series.
Skyrim was better than Bloodlines.
Ultima Online was more RPG than Chrono Trigger and DarkSouls.

I think I've sufficiently offended everyone at least once with those statements. :)
Burn me at the stake or something.

Couch, your link deserves its own post. Never heard of the game but it looks good.

You guys don't have to agree with Fluent but show some respect he's positively contributed to this website for a long time. @Fluent: I happen to find your optimism towards most games refreshing and it contrasts sharply with the cynical-snarky-whiny-quippy attitude gaming culture has unfortunately adopted.

Eh, looking for good in everything is of course one of life's great secrets, and works in many things, except when you're the audience of a commercial industry.

Reckless optimism, low expectations and low standards pave the road for wave after wave of mediocre RPG titles no one will remember in 20 years. Harsh critique is better for everyone in the end, fans and developers alike.

a slightly limited version of Shroud of the Avatar is free to try

Actually, if you buy it you are getting something extremely limited.

show some respect

Sorry but that's just totally misdirected and ridiculous. So if someone writes reviews for this site - some of which are really bad and partial - we're required to pamper and indulge them, that's funny.

First off…I'm starting to be afraid of you….like afraid of crazy.

It is garbage like SotA that rots the soul, chummer. If you don't keep your eye on the consumption of this garbage pretty soon YOU are ASLEEP like pretty much the rest of the population, watching TV shows like "Lucifer", playing morally bankrupt games such as Torment, or one of the many others hitting the market these days. Take your pick, muchacho.

I have zero emotional investment in SotA, so I couldn't care less about the game. As soon as I read the Kickstarter back then I knew this was likely being BS.

Now compare HBS with Portalarium and see how they handle things. They just delayed the BattleTech beta because of 3rd party software issues and there is not one negative comment to be found. And that's because they are transparent about it and have built great rep over past games. Portalarium is the opposite of that.

to me sota is just a huge cashgrab.
just look at all the items that are available for real money.

and the Property/land/Houses that can be bought for real money too.
this is not a game any more its virtual real estate.
i think too much people see more of a investment in this game like in second life.
sadly this people will never see their investment return.

Couch, your link deserves its own post. Never heard of the game but it looks good.

Fully agreed. Hey Couch, do you know anything about the ETA ?

The game's prime focus was always going to be MMORPG. You would have to be blind not to see that. Any SP was always going to be a throw in.

I think what people are really mad about is not so different from the No Mutants crowd, etc. demanding that Bethesda not call their post-apoc game Fallout 3.

We hold Garriot to unreasonably high expectations because he practically invented this kind of gaming for PC's and continued to lead in success after success. By developing Ultima Online he changed his business model in a direction we don't like but a whole new group of gamers does. At least a small minority that throws good money after bad.

Anyways, I plan to try this. I am put off by their website's bloodsucking of DLC already. The game itself looks like Ultima 9 and I was worried it was just going to keep the system they developed when it was planned as a Facebook game.

Yes the focus was clearly on MMO during the Kickstarter. Also if you listen to Garriot over the last 20 years it's clear how he feels about single player RPGs. He feels they were only made due to technical limitations of the time and he says social interacitivy is where it's at.

This being said; if it gets reported that eventually there is a single player game worth playing I would give it a try. I think k that's doubtful.

Yes the focus was clearly on MMO during the Kickstarter. Also if you listen to Garriot over the last 20 years it's clear how he feels about single player RPGs. He feels they were only made due to technical limitations of the time and he says social interacitivy is where it's at.
Technical limitations is the reason The Witcher 3, erm, wait, TW3 is *not* MMO.
On the other hand, yeah, I do use Viber on my phone, but Viber ain't a videogame.

What weed did that guy smoke, can I have some of it too?

Sorry but that's just totally misdirected and ridiculous. So if someone writes reviews for this site - some of which are really bad and partial - we're required to pamper and indulge them, that's funny.

Have you ever made a contribution to the site, besides bitching, whining, and complaining.

I don't know why you even come here.

Fully agreed. Hey Couch, do you know anything about the ETA ?
According to the updates the game is still in the early stages of development.

Yes the focus was clearly on MMO during the Kickstarter.
From the FAQ of the Kickstarter campaign: "Though Shroud of the Avatar won’t be a massively multiplayer online role playing game, it will be a multiplayer game."

Seems bizarre to say the "focus was clearly on MMO", when in fact, they were clearly, and literally, saying it wasn't an MMO.

Perhaps you could say the focus was on "MMO'ish things", and maybe you might even be right then.

You guys don't have to agree with Fluent but show some respect he's positively contributed to this website for a long time. @Fluent: I happen to find your optimism towards most games refreshing and it contrasts sharply with the cynical-snarky-whiny-quippy attitude gaming culture has unfortunately adopted.

Aren't you exaggerating a bit? Zahr took a mild swing at Fluent, but to me it sounded more like a thing between friends than lack of respect. I do respect Fluent and what he has contributed to this site, that does however not stop me from stating my opinion when I think he's being overly optimistic.

This forum would be pretty boring of we always agreed with each other, but I wouldn't say we lack respect? With some exeptions that is…

It's all good. I was cranky when I posted. :D But I do find it tiring at times how you have some devs trying to do old-school things (which I thought we were all fans of here?) and getting shitted on left and right.

But as for the SotA "rep" and what not, are you telling me you can't find examples of things like that from other developers and game forums? I'm sure BioWare and Bethesda have plenty of scorned fans who will post this and that about the company. I take it all with a huge grain of salt. No offense rune or anybody else. I understand you had a bad experience with them, but there are many who have had a good experience. The game itself looks cool to me and like something old-school RPG fans may dig. I also posted that the game will have a 40 hour single-player experience as well.

It's all love. To anybody interested in what looks like an Ultima/Morrowind experience almost, check out the video I posted to see the game in action. :)

But I do find it tiring at times how you have some devs trying to do old-school things (which I thought we were all fans of here?) and getting shitted on left and right.
SotA isn't doing anything "old-school", unless you mean old-school MMORPG.

The game itself looks cool to me and like something old-school RPG fans may dig.
Old-school MMORPG (ie: UO) fans maybe, not old-school RPG fans.

I also posted that the game will have a 40 hour single-player experience as well.
It won't.

Back
Top Bottom