Shroud of the Avatar - Garriott Sells Real Blood

I consider than he committed suicide with Ultima VIII, anyway.
Another awesome British creator who never managed to handle fame, money and bigger teams. Sadly.
Don't think Garriott is british. AFAIK he got his LB name, because people (for some very strange reason) thought he had a british accent.

Pibbur who doesn't think he (Garriott, not pibbur) in any way sounds even remotely like a brit. Pibbur? He sounds like a norwegian trying to sound british. Or like a brit sounding exactly like a norwegian trying to sound british.

Hehe

Having flown in space with the formerly Communist Russians, I'm sure Garriott understands there is no more-valuable commodity.

Personally, I only drink rainwater and pure-grain alcohol. I suggest you all do the same.

Good points there.

Pibbur who still refuses to hug the captain.

Pibbur who still refuses to hug the captain.

Capt. who stands facing Pibbur with outstretched arms, beckoning with a flick of his fingers.

Ah… I see. He's born in the UK, and has dual citizenship. I stand corrected.

But he has american parents, moved to the US at the age of 2 months and, unlike Cary Elwes, doesn't have a british accent. So for practical puposes he's american(?). But yes, formally he's british. And american.

BTW: could he be president, without mr Trump ranting and ranting and ranting about his birth certificate?

Pibbur who spent his first 8 months in the eastern part of Norway, but who claims that's too short a time to affect him negatively. And who wants the watchers to know that "easterner" is sort of an insult where he lives now.

Last edited:
Capt. who stands facing Pibbur with outstretched arms, beckoning with a flick of his fingers.
Hmmm. Last time I saw that gesture was in "The Fifth Element" when Leeloo invited bad-guys to a fight.

Pibbur who might reconsider

For whatever reason I'm not interested in this game a single bit.
Plus, I'm not a vampire.

Someone is getting desperate....Unfortunately, my interest for this....equates zero...

So, for the aliens who abducted the real Garriott during his trip to space... please take back your imposter and give us back the real Garriott.

Geez official confirmation that one of my heroes has truly lost his mind. Can we have the 80s/90s Garriot back?
He has always collected automatons, skeletons, torture devices, etc.

He was always a little "avant garde".

He was also progressively more hands off with each new Ultima game after Ultima V. He was running a company and letting other Origin staff make games at his loose direction. He is also open to suggestions. Ultima VIII was an interesting concept with shit execution because of EA.

Ultima IX was again EA. They started on a 2D game with a sane plot, only for EA to steal the entire development staff and force them to work on UO because it was a surprise hit.

When they went back to work on IX again, EA now suddenly demanded a 3D engine, scrappy everything other than plot. But the move pissed off the design lead, who quit over EA's fiat. So now the plot was gone as well. They were still short staffed and EA wanted a huge game out quickly, but starting over from scratch. And it had to have mass appeal, thusly the big focus on explaining everything so someone brand new to the series could play the series ending ninth main installment.

I believe RG was the first guy I ever heard discuss concepts of instancing in MMOs (when he was first describing his vision for Tabula Rasa). And then games stole those concepts from him that have been critical to the success of the MMO industry. I still think he has good concepts even if he hasn't had a GREAT game since Serpent Isle.

FWIW, I'm a little biased as I submit crowd-sourced writing to SotA. But I'm also quite critical of several aspects of SotA. I try to be objective about the project.

But if you play the game and talk to an NPC in Owl's Head, Kingsport, Ardoris, Solania or Aerie right now, you're talking to an NPC written by me (a fan). I am exceedingly grateful that I ended up with this opportunity because he didn't intend to allow any crowd-sourcers to work on dialogue. It is too important and he didn't assume a hobbyist was up to the task.

Good grief - he's already sold $14,000 worth! I have got to find a way to start fleecing internet weirdos with more money than sense.

He has always collected automatons, skeletons, torture devices, etc.

He was always a little "avant garde".

He was also progressively more hands off with each new Ultima game after Ultima V. He was running a company and letting other Origin staff make games at his loose direction. He is also open to suggestions. Ultima VIII was an interesting concept with shit execution because of EA.

Ultima IX was again EA. They started on a 2D game with a sane plot, only for EA to steal the entire development staff and force them to work on UO because it was a surprise hit.

When they went back to work on IX again, EA now suddenly demanded a 3D engine, scrappy everything other than plot. But the move pissed off the design lead, who quit over EA's fiat. So now the plot was gone as well. They were still short staffed and EA wanted a huge game out quickly, but starting over from scratch. And it had to have mass appeal, thusly the big focus on explaining everything so someone brand new to the series could play the series ending ninth main installment.

I believe RG was the first guy I ever heard discuss concepts of instancing in MMOs (when he was first describing his vision for Tabula Rasa). And then games stole those concepts from him that have been critical to the success of the MMO industry. I still think he has good concepts even if he hasn't had a GREAT game since Serpent Isle.

FWIW, I'm a little biased as I submit crowd-sourced writing to SotA. But I'm also quite critical of several aspects of SotA. I try to be objective about the project.

But if you play the game and talk to an NPC in Owl's Head, Kingsport, Ardoris, Solania or Aerie right now, you're talking to an NPC written by me (a fan). I am exceedingly grateful that I ended up with this opportunity because he didn't intend to allow any crowd-sourcers to work on dialogue. It is too important and he didn't assume a hobbyist was up to the task.

Hey Ender, long time no chat...oh that's because I'm not allowed to comment on the website anymore due to being critical on certain subjects and being moderated by the staff there at levels others(high backers) don't get moderated yet. I literally have been banned completely from the game not even able to comment on steam because I shared there moderation email they sent me, showing the hypocrisy of their team. Sad thing is I have visited the site and seen things posted just recently that I never even came close to posting.

The game is literally ruined for me, as they have cut me off from the community so even if I wanted to I couldn't. As I predicted the end results didn't come close to what they originally promised, to be fair to them they are reaching what they changed the game to be.

space-tourist-460b_1008219c.jpg

It would be nice then to hear an insider's opinion on the question if SotA will somewhen have an enjoyable single player experience. :)

It would be nice then to hear an insider's opinion on the question if SotA will somewhen have an enjoyable single player experience. :)

Yeah. Once you buy 12,000 bucks castle you can have all sorts of enjoyable single player experience inside of it :biggrin:

Agreed. From the outside as someone who threw money at the kickstarter when it first 'kicked' off and then never looked back, the project direction seemed deceptive. Early on it was pitched to be a spiritual successor to single player Ultima games (and more specifically, U7). Quickly after giving them my money it changed to all things mmo. Every update includes some kind of pitch to spend more money. Last but not least, it's taking a really long fucking time for them to finish this. Not a happy camper at this point but I guess since I haven't sold my account, still holding out on some hope that the single player version will exist and be somewhat entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom