Shroud of the Avatar - Now Story Complete

The single player version of this will come out forty years after Grimoire does…..maybe.

Hmmm it's already implemented in the current state of the game.

I'm quite surprised Richard Garriott gets so much flak, from RPG fans. He made a bunch of bad decisions but is still capable of delivering.

And he's the guy behind Ultima, remember. Without him the computer RPGs would never have been the same.

He gets flak because all his games have sucked for 20 years now. It's not hard to understand.

He made a bunch of bad decisions but is still capable of delivering.

tumblr_m0w9frDouN1r0ufaco1_250.gif

Hmmm it's already implemented in the current state of the game.

I'm quite surprised Richard Garriott gets so much flak, from RPG fans. He made a bunch of bad decisions but is still capable of delivering.

And he's the guy behind Ultima, remember. Without him the computer RPGs would never have been the same.

How have you established that he's still capable of delivering?

The story is really written badly. There is a walk through of the courage storyline here, warning it has spoilers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudofth...r44_week_1_starting_down_the_path_of_courage/

This is a tacked on storyline like I said would happen a couple of years ago.

Offline is included now, but it doesn't work that well...parts of the game needs companions to even be able to do it. Offline has been forgotten for a long time.

U7 was his prime. He just needs to accept that and retire the torch to someone capable.

U7 right now in it's GoG form is still better than most RPGs out there made in the past couple decades. Put it in a new engine please.

He isn't interested in single player RPGs, he thinks the social aspects are where it's at. He has been saying that for decades now. I don't play MMOs so can't comment on that aspect although from what I hear it sucks as an MMO also.

He isn't interested in single player RPGs, he thinks the social aspects are where it's at. He has been saying that for decades now. I don't play MMOs so can't comment on that aspect although from what I hear it sucks as an MMO also.

I doubt that LB really cares much about the social aspects; it's the continuing cash cow he's interested in!!

I doubt that LB really cares much about the social aspects; it's the continuing cash cow he's interested in!!

The funny thing is he invented the subscription model on a whim of sorts. UO was originally going to be free, but costs to run it were going to substantial so he let it drop in forums how people would feel about $20 a month, and the majority were ok with that. 50000 units sold in the first week and at that rate had invented a new business model.

The funny thing is he invented the subscription model on a whim of sorts. UO was originally going to be free, but costs to run it were going to substantial so he let it drop in forums how people would feel about $20 a month, and the majority were ok with that. 50000 units sold in the first week and at that rate had invented a new business model.
Not sure about the "new business model" thing. It was pretty common to charge for online multiplayer games long before Ultima Online ever did. Though it is true that many of the early ones charged by the hour, not the month, for example Neverwinter Nights on AOL. I suppose you could argue it was the service (AOL) not the game (NWN) that you were paying for.

Na, I was paying subscription to a local BBS MMO (MUD) in the early 90s called The Majic Realm. That game was so badass. RIP.

Not sure about the "new business model" thing. It was pretty common to charge for online multiplayer games long before Ultima Online ever did. Though it is true that many of the early ones charged by the hour, not the month, for example Neverwinter Nights on AOL. I suppose you could argue it was the service (AOL) not the game (NWN) that you were paying for.

Yeah, games like AOL NWN, Battletech, and Gemstar were all teasers to get you onto the service to pay the hourly rate.

Remember, when AOL switched to a monthly unlimited model (because they had to) that's when they dropped NWN.

They even started kicking people out for inactivity.

The only thing that should be important to the story:

* Name
* Job
* Bye

Don't forget to ask them about their health. Later avatars seem to forget to ask how someone is doing. How did they ever keep themselves virtuous without concern for their other dimensional comrades?

So, I checked out the most recent version and I'm afraid the game remains absolutely and utterly atrociously bad.

It still makes me sad, just because U7 ( and part 2! ) is such a masterpiece, hard to imagine the same person can make something like this.

I think people are vastly exaggerating his role in this game. Seems to me he's just a figure-head meant to attract a certain segment of the audience.

Every time he talks about it - it all sounds incredibly theoretical, as if he's not really invested in the actual game or the actual work.

Back
Top Bottom