Some good 'chaotic neutral' RPGs....

I think the first two Fallouts and Alpha Protocol were pretty good suggestions. I think New Vegas falls into the mold if you haven't played it already.

Well the Witcher (particularly Witcher 1) was unique in that it emphasized the fact that there was no good option. No matter what option you picked good people would die and it went out of your way to make you feel bad about it. I wouldn't call it chaotic neutral though just neutral. As portrayed Geralt did not seem all that chaotic. You could almost make an argument for lawful neutral.

I really can't think of any other games like that and I've played a lot of games. Most games have clear good or evil options. DA:O has a lot of grey situations but overall much of the game is pretty black and white. DA2 actually does a better job of being morally grey in many cases, but obviously it's not as good a game as DA:O was.

The very best grey game:

the NWN 1 mods

A Dance with Rogues, Part One

A Dance with Rogues, Part Two

from Valine.

Highly recommended!

Regarding NWN mods, I'd *heartily* recommend the whole Bastard of Kosigan series, which is incredibly awesome. Multiple ways to solve quests, choices with delayed consequences (which even influence events in the following chapters if you import the same character) and, as requested by the OP, plenty of grey morality. Highly recommended.

If I had enough money I would make an AAA title out of it - I think it is much better than the original campains.

a review

Mask of the Betrayer shouldn't be left unmentioned along side The Witcher when it comes to morally grey outcomes and choices.

The very best grey game:

the NWN 1 mods

A Dance with Rogues, Part One

A Dance with Rogues, Part Two

from Valine.

Highly recommended!

Quality dropped from the first module - terrible. I LP'ed that game - and dropped it after the first chapter ended. I remember the whole Codex went into 'This is good taste - HELL NO IT'S NOT!' debate upon the first update.

Ah, good times. I recommend the first chapter, but if the ending to it feels hollow, it's probably best not to continue.

Back
Top Bottom