Starfield - Delayed to 2023

I don't think mediocre implies going through the motions - just that the results of whatever it is are middling, at best. But I haven't even played it - that's just my impression from the reviews and reception of others. My main point is about why it wasn't particularly viewed positively from the beginning.
Just out of curiosity and to move the convo on, what RPGs have you played to any great length?

Genuinely curious, because even after a decade on the site I still have no idea what floats your boat here. Pretty much all the other users you can kind-of predict what they will like and what they wont, but for you I have no idea. Bereft of knowledge or even hint.

You probably do talk about the games you've played and I've just missed it, probably games I don't follow or subforums I rarely look into.

Which ones have you been quietly/secretly/possibly loudly but I missed it bashing away on?

Well, that would be a very long list. I would say all the usual suspects have had a pretty thorough playing - in the modern era, all the Bioware, TES, Fallouts, Witchers, Deus Ex, System/Bio Shocks, and so on. Persona 5 and BOTW also got a good seeing to. I dislike Diablo-style ARPGs and MMOs. There's also a lot of RPGs I've picked up but become bored with quite quickly.

I'm a big fan of the Infinity Engine games, and that's where I struggle a bit with the modern 'spiritual successors' - none of them quite do it for me, even the ones I can see are very well-made. So, something that's a middling example in that pack is very unlikely to do much for me. I'm always interested when something like POE, or Pathfinder, or D:OS turns up, but they never seem to engage me as much as some other folks.

Also, as I think I've mentioned before, over the last couple of years I've been more interested in tinkering with making a game than actually playing them. So, you'll often see me commenting on how KS projects have been run, presented, and so on. Some really impress me, and some do not - I'm sort of building up a picture of what to emulate and what to avoid. Not that I'm going full game-dev anytime soon, but it's something I might consider for the future (even a retirement project, one-day).

Yes, making a game one day would be fantastic. I think we all have dreams of what we could make given a full budget, the time and the energy. There are lots of opportunities to make very indy games like this, but the low percentage chance of reward likely puts most of us off.

Yes, I wouldn't attempt it as a day job; far too risky. What is definitely possible to do with today's tools and assets, is to build the bones of the game you'd like to make. Then, if you ever wanted to take it further, you can address the challenge of funding the development of the content, which is the real monster.

Back
Top Bottom