Steam - Summer Sale Starts

I bought Atom and Bard's Tale 4, both of which have been on my wish list for some time.

I've played a couple of hours of Atom and it hasn't made the best first impression. All of the dialogues only go one layer deep (and all of the questions are the same for every NPC; "How's life", etc), and the quests have been trivial. But of course I'll keep at it and hope it's just an early game thing.

So ended up buying trouble shooter as it was on sale.

I've played a couple of hours of Atom and it hasn't made the best first impression. All of the dialogues only go one layer deep (and all of the questions are the same for every NPC; "How's life", etc), and the quests have been trivial. But of course I'll keep at it and hope it's just an early game thing.
Atom has dialogue with pretty much every non-hostile NPC in the game, which is a bit frustrating because the great majority of those dialogues are pointless timewasters. I think we'd both prefer the more normal RPG system where some NPCs have full dialogue, typically because they have something important to say, and background NPCs just have a single line.

I prefer games like Desolate over stuff like 7DtD though for the same reason you and crpgnut prefer the opposite. I like crafting in games but not when I have to build bases and defend them. I like to constantly be on the move and exploring the map.

I don't mind building bases but I absolutely despise having to defend it and rebuild. I love loot but I'm not big on things that are supposed to be scary. I used to like 7 Days to Die before it grew too big for its britches. I'd say versions 15 was the best version of that particular game.

Encased is very good though and gives that great Fallout Interplay vibe. It was easily the game of the sale for me so far.

Encased is awesome, I have to agree. I played it a couple hours, I already love it.

It has everything I like about classical rpgs, beautiful isometric top down graphical world, well designed setting, small details all over the place contributing to the richness of the atmosphere, numerous skills and attributes to make a character how you want it, great exploration, and a UI that actually makes sense and is easy to use.

But now, even though I am sorely tempted to keep exploring the game world, I don't want to spoil it too much. And I see that patches often make saved games incompatible, so I am trying my best not to keep playing. It's hard to resist, but I want to play it when my saves won't get wiped out.

Encased is awesome, I have to agree. I played it a couple hours, I already love it.

(...)
But now, even though I am sorely tempted to keep exploring the game world, I don't want to spoil it too much. And I see that patches often make saved games incompatible, so I am trying my best not to keep playing. It's hard to resist, but I want to play it when my saves won't get wiped out.

Yeah, I agree with you. It's pretty much why I stopped playing the game last year. I think it's best to wait for version 1.0 to be released to enjoy the game properly.

Atom has dialogue with pretty much every non-hostile NPC in the game, which is a bit frustrating because the great majority of those dialogues are pointless timewasters. I think we'd both prefer the more normal RPG system where some NPCs have full dialogue, typically because they have something important to say, and background NPCs just have a single line.

I don't know. I enjoyed talking with pretty much everyone in the game. It gave a good vibe of the world and lot of background info that I thought were pretty interesting. It's the sort of game where you often return to the same location and you get to know a lot of NPC, which is something I enjoy much more than visited dozen of "generic" towns and villages like in Skyrim.

Encased should be released in September… if they can keep that date, they have a record of broken promises. But even if that changes it doesn't look too far away, so IMO it's best to wait for the full release instead of playing the EA.

That being said, the EA is really playable, there are bugs but they didn't bother me as much as those in Solasta (but "your mileage may vary" as they say). GOG tells me I've already spent 90 hours in that game :D

For me it's easily the preferred game I'm expecting this year so far, after Pathfinder.

This is my second or third Steam sale that I managed or intend to manage not buying anything. I realized I keep buying stuff, and only play 1-5% of the games in my list. So I intend to no longer buy anything, unless it's a game I really really want and expect to play as soon as I purchase. My backlog is just way too big.

Plus I have the HumbleBundle sub that fills in most random stuff plus 1-2 AAA games once in a while.

One of the things I did that helps, is disable steam emails when things on my wishlist go on sale. That way, I have to physically go look at my wishlist, and see what's on sale.

It's addictive, you know. A new shiny.
I install stuff, play it, then forget I have it installed when another shiny catches my eye, or people here are gushing about a game

This is my second or third Steam sale that I managed or intend to manage not buying anything. I realized I keep buying stuff, and only play 1-5% of the games in my list. So I intend to no longer buy anything, unless it's a game I really really want and expect to play as soon as I purchase. My backlog is just way too big.

Plus I have the HumbleBundle sub that fills in most random stuff plus 1-2 AAA games once in a while.
I'm in the exact same boat. There are several games that are dirt cheap on my list that I'd normally buy, but I'm passing up this time. I have games that are many years old I haven't got around to.
For example, there has been talk about reviving the Dead Space franchise, and I haven't even started DS 2 or 3 (yes, I own them!). I've only played the first hour of Prey (and it was excellent). I haven't finished Witcher 3!
The full list is really quite embarrassing.

For example, there has been talk about reviving the Dead Space franchise, and I haven't even started DS 2 or 3 (yes, I own them!). I've only played the first hour of Prey (and it was excellent). I haven't finished Witcher 3!
The full list is really quite embarrassing.

Dead Space 2 is a must-play if you liked the first game. DS3 is skippable though. They went down the wrong path with that one.

Finally bought Pathfinder Kingmaker. It's a bargain price and I feel I can't put it off too much longer.

Back
Top Bottom