Steam - Your target audience doesn’t exist

125 games on Steam.

I rarely buy games on sale, but I often buy cheap keys for games where I don't feel like supporting the publishers. I'm not big on guilt when it comes to suits.

That said, I've owned thousands of games if we include physical media. But I've thrown so much of my old crap out that I'm sure I've lost more than half of it.

408 games on Steam, played perhaps 50. Most of them are from bundles, so I agree with the idea that the 1% might not be the most lucrative target group.

The article confuses players who buy games to own them and players who buy games to play them.
Minor detail these days admittedly as gaming and gameplay no longer matters.

The major point: so much for the big PC market...

I'm guessing I have about 100 on Steam. Thats already a multi year backlog to me. I haven't bought anything in a while now.

The article confuses players who buy games to own them and players who buy games to play them.

This! I probably only have a few games on Steam, that I haven't actually played. The only reason I even have that many is there are a few games that I used to own on other media. For instance, Oblivion might show very few hours played, but I owned the GFWL version for several years.

On the games that I do own, I average at least 30 hours on anything. The Bethesda games are all in the multiple hundreds of hours, as are a few others.

You know a good follow up idea is to add up how many hours have you logged on Steam total. That would be bloated because of idle time, but it would still be an interesting figure. Mine is probably in the 5000 hour range, but I haven't looked at it yet.

Here's a weird thing I noticed: I've played 307 hours in Divinity: Original Sin and almost all of that was during beta. I was just so sick of the first part of the game, I couldn't get past it once the game hit release. I probably have more hours in that game than almost anyone and I've never been out of the first areas :D

Last edited:
I was surprised that Steam users make up only 10 to 15% of all PC gamers since more and more major games are requiring steamworks. I guess MMOs make up a significant chunk of the rest?

I currently don't have any games on Steam or GoG, I'm yet to embrace the download/online generation. It will happen, just not yet. I buy all my games either directly from the creator's home page (which is kinda download generation) or on actual disc, with the former becoming more the norm as shops gradually stop selling discs.

I tend to go through more discs than I keep, however, with only the ones I particularly liked staying on my shelf - and even some of those get 'lent' to friends and family. On my keepers shelf at the moment is 32 games and I have another shelf of games yet to try which accounts for 17 games and I have a handful of old big-box games in a closet that I just never got round to trading-out in one of my many clear outs and now they've developed collectibility/nostalgia. I've probably traded-out approximately 100 games over the years, but I wont have played many of them to completion.

Maybe when/if discs are fully archaic I will start buying White Elephants again to adorn my empty little shelves.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom