Suggest a game (exploration-based)

Elel

Devout Priestess of RPGs
What I want is a game with big areas, preferably of nature, 3D and non-isometric. The games I played that did fit the description were: Witcher 1-2, Risen, Divine Divinity 2, Gothic 1-2-3, The Elder Scrolls series. The games that did not fit the description were: Neverwinter Nights 2, Dragon Age 1-2. In the latter games areas aren't expansive enough and aren't meant to be genuinely explored, they're more like backdrops. I'm not sure where to put Drakensang games, possibly somewhere in the middle, you get a feeling they're not exploration-based games at all, even though areas are quite spacy, but essentially they fail as the type of game I'm looking for.

I've heard Two Worlds being compared to Gothic, but never tried it. Fallout 3 seems to be that type of game, too, but I'd prefer something non-apocalyptic with more enjoyable views. Is there something else?

Kingdoms of Amalur? It's not completely wide open like an Elder Scrolls game, but it's pretty darn open with lots of rewarding exploration and MANY beautiful, nature views.

Last edited:
If you haven't played Two Worlds Two Worlds Two....oops :D

It has decent exploration. Nothing compared to Skyrim or Oblivion, but there's quite a bit. Amalur isn't a bad choice, though expect to grind respawns. The Oblivion mod Nehrim is a total conversion and has decent exploration. There's a lot of exploration in Deus Ex: Human Revolution but it's not really pretty unless you mean pretty grim. It's great for hide and seek the loot. Spellforce Two has some pretty scenes.

Apart from the games you have already mentioned, I can't think of any good 3D exploration games, except maybe the Ultima Underworlds if you can stomach the pixelated graphics.

But try Lazarus and Ultima 6 Project, which are Ultima 5 and Ultima 6 using the Dungeon Siege engine. I haven't played Lazarus, but U6P was brilliant.

Isn't Spellforce 2 isometric?

What about Arx Fatalis? I heard that it's more or less an exploration-based game, even though it's underground.

I don't necessarily need that much exploration as the Elder Scrolls games provide, in fact, I never finished a single one of those, there's simply too much content. Also unfortunately these games are lacking in plot and character department.

And thank you, I'm glad there are a few more to choose from. Crpgnut, I've already played Deus Ex: HR and it's a brilliant one for sure. :)

I would say try Dark Souls (exploration and discovering stuff is a huge part) but you said you want big spaces and vibrant nature vistas…

I would say that fallout 1,2 and 3 (with at least FWE) and FNV are also great for exploration but you don't want Post apoc…

I would say that games like The BGs, Arcanum … Oh wait you don't want isometric…

Hmm you are not making it easy…

Arx Fatalis is very exploration based… oh wait underground… Wait for Witcher 3 ?

Already waiting for Witcher 3 :)

Then Arx Fatalis can be added to the list, caverns are a part of nature, I like them.

Hmm. I personally love the game and there is a lot of going up and down the levels and discovering stuff (and a great atmosphere). I don't know if it is exactly what you are looking for but it is worth having a look for sure…

(Edit: Small to midsize caverns and claustrophobic tunnels is what you should expect though. Don't expect Skyrim sized underground worlds...)

Last edited:
You can also try Nehrim (Total Conversion of Oblivion) and Might & Magic 6, 7 and 8.
The Wizardry Games are also quite expansive.

I had my fun with Two Worlds 2. But imho it's not a very good game. The Combat is very bad and the initial "open world" part of the game is pretty bad as well. The game becomes stronger once you passed that "open world area" and it gets quite linear. Not because of the linearity but because from the moment on the design gets much better. The best thing about Two Worlds 2 was the voice acting imho. Was great fun to listen to the dialogues.

Then Arx Fatalis can be added to the list, caverns are a part of nature, I like them.

Arx Fatalis does have a great sense of exploration, but it's not really open world. There are some nice little areas tucked away here and there, and it's quite fun exploring the history of this little sealed-off world.

Well there are different ways that the levels are interconnected and they are very rarely
blocked. You can access deeper levels as ealry as you like in a nonlinear and open ended way and go through the games quests in mostly the same way too.

There are several secrets and hidden nooks and crannies to discover. I'd say its about (or a bit less) open world as Dark souls. Lets call it semi open world (I understand people only make the correlation open world with seamless large open areas/worlds) ;)

Oh, it's definitely more open than most games. I just don't recall it being very open from the get-go. I really need to give it another whirl soon, but it seems every time I try that something comes up that kills my gaming time.

Not a lot of those games around.

Lands of Lore 2, though quite ancient, does have some pretty big natural areas. It also has what must be the largest "natural" cavern I've seen in a game that's not entirely dedicated to one dungeon.

Ultima 9: Ascension has a smaller world, but it's got some of the best exploration you'll find. Underwater exploration, unique dungeons with cool puzzles, wildly different atmospheric towns, and so on. It's small - but content density is equally strong. It's also old and worn - but if you can live with that….

If you were ok with smaller non-nature areas, I'd heartily recommend games like System Shock and Bioshock (all of them) - but I guess that's not quite what you're into. Deus Ex: HR as well.

Fallout 3 modded is one of THE best games for exploration, so I hope you can get past the apoc-setting. I'm not a fan of that setting myself, so I know what you mean. But FO3 has so many cool areas to explore.

I don't personally think Dark Souls and Demon's Souls are good for exploration, but that's down to personal preferences. I consider them too bleak and somewhat sparse in terms of interesting things to find. They're HIGHLY atmospheric, though.

I guess you're not into MMOs? Otherwise I'd recommend WoW or LotRO - which both have huge and beautiful open worlds to explore.

Fallout 3 modded is one of THE best games for exploration, so I hope you can get past the apoc-setting. I'm not a fan of that setting myself, so I know what you mean. But FO3 has so many cool areas to explore.

*Scruffy*
Second
*/Scruffy*

Although New Vegas was better in most respects, I have to go with FO3 for exploration.

You should probably be give (PC version of) Two Worlds a try if you are looking for something with a relatively open world. It is not as open as say Skyrim, but it still manages to feel open. The game is not level-scaled, which means that certain areas will be too difficult for you until you level up (much like Gothic), so there is a linear-ish progression in it.

The Two Worlds seems to be suggested the most, I guess I absolutely have to check it out.

The one suggestion that surprised me was Bioshock. I played System Shocks and Deus Exes, but upon trying out the first Bioshock I found it to be a generic shooter (although admittedly I didn't play much and dropped it quickly). Is it really on the level of the other two series?

And while we're at non-RPGs, Batman: Arkham Asylum (didn't play City yet)
The mere thought of playing as a childish cartoon superhero makes me feel extremely embarrassed...

Bioshock IS a generic shooter - albeit set in a fantastic place with emphasis on exploration.

The shooter part is something you'll have to endure, just as you'll have to endure clumsy gameplay and awkward NPC dialogue in Two Worlds.

Personally, I think the world of Two Worlds is bland and mostly empty. I wouldn't recommend it at all.

But as an action RPG with amusing progression mechanics, it's not bad. The loot system, as gamey as it is, can be quite entertaining.

Back
Top Bottom