HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
A new demo for System Shock is available:

System Shock Steam Next Fest Demo Stream with Miss_Slaughter

Check out the new System Shock Demo!

Join us during the Steam Next Fest, where you will experience the power of true artificial intelligence as you play the latest version of System Shock. But be warned, players: the game you are about to play at Steam Next Fest is just a glimpse into the world we've created for you.

If you've played the previous demo here are a list of updates you can expect to see:

New features include:

• A brand new playable introduction sequence
  • Refined hacker and enemy animations
  • Lots of refinement to enemy AI
  • New enemies (at least seen only in medical)
    • Hopper
    • New Security 1 Bot
  • Added clutter and debris to the levels
  • Vending machines
  • Scrapping and recycling
  • Transdermal dispenser
  • Ammo depot
  • Mod kits
  • New Cyberspace levels
  • Lots of new sounds and audio enhancements
  • New UIs and menus
  • Controller support

Are you ready to enter the world of true artificial intelligence?
Your journey begins now.

But remember, SHODAN is always watching.
More information.

I see that System Shock is one of the most wishlisted games during Steam Next Fest. Hopefully Nightdive have a success on their hands. Anyone played the demo?

I see that System Shock is one of the most wishlisted games during Steam Next Fest. Hopefully Nightdive have a success on their hands. Anyone played the demo?
I downloaded the new demo today, but I've only had time to play the new intro so far. They added an intro that takes place before the original start of the game.

It's definitely one of my most anticipated games, but I'm really starting to tire of the delays. It's supposed to release next month, and there's still no exact date on the Steam page. If this gets delayed yet again, Nightdive better go into hiding.

I had a go at the demo. Graphically it is fine and I liked the expanded intro. Sound design seems pretty good. My big concern is movement and how it feels to play. It didn't feel smooth moving about and melee attacking I was never sure where my melee attacks were going to land. Also it was awkward knocking over chairs and the like.

Just been trying the new demo. Hard to put my finger on it, but something feels a bit flaky....As I normally do with these FPS-type games, I have remapped the 'forward' movement function to my right mouse button. Quite regularly, I have to actually press the button twice to get some reaction in terms of movement. As already mentioned by @Silver, the moving around just feels strange....And to be honest, I'm also not a big fan of the 'cyberpunky'-type glitzy graphics.

I played some more of the demo, and yeah...the melee combat is awful. It actually feels worse now compared to the older demos, and it was never great to begin with.

It's weird because everything else is really good for the most part. I think they've really nailed the atmosphere, and even cyberspace is improved over the original imo. The only thing I don't think is improved are the video logs. They shouldn't have messed with those.

Movement feels fine to me, although I did have to push the mouse sensitivity slider to maximum before I was satisfied with my turn speed.

Max sensitivity is still 20% below my usual, although moving more slowly does lend to this kind of title, like a throwback to the old tank control. There's also a sprint key which made things better.

Melee aside, new demo really is a real improvement. I don't care for their cyberspace at all, but it's an improvement. Spruce up the melee asap, but the full experience is there.

It should be ready in March. I just hope my SS2EE will be ready alongside.

Last edited:
I finally got around to trying the demo.

It's really low-res, strange, even after setting the textures on 'ultra', which shouldn't be an issue on RTX 3070. Then bugs with the control settings makes it almost impossible for me to play the game because I can't access the item shortcuts. I've seen similar reports and it was already a problem long ago, shame they haven't fixed that yet.

It's nice they put an intro but it's so naive and cliché that it made me laugh, I guess that's on purpose.

Each demo makes me more sceptical about the game, sadly.

Do you mean using the 0-9 shortcuts? I've no issues with that, nor have I experienced any problems with the textures.

I just played through the cyberspace section again. They really did a great job with that, and I can't wait to see what the later cyberspace arenas will be like. If I have one complaint it's that it's a little on the easy side. I hope later areas are more challenging.

Otoh, the non-cyberspace gameplay seems harder than I remember. Previously, you found a gun almost immediately after waking up. I like how you have to search for a little while now before finding one. Some of the enemies also seem to do more damage now.

I think the shortcuts are hard-coded for QWERTY. And about the textures, I've noticed that changing the settings wasn't working properly, and since the default textures are "medium", that could be the same bug. I don't see any difference between medium and ultra. I think the textures were just fine in the first demo I tried.

Back
Top Bottom