System Shock - Why Unreal Engine 4?

I used to loathe Unity titles so much. They would always run like dog crap, pegging my GPU at max for some pretty basic graphical fidelity. The last couple Unity games I've tried haven't exhibited this, however. So, either the engine is a lot smarter these days... or the devs using it are.

Either way, the name of the Engine doesn't matter so much as the design behind the game. Might & Magic: Legacy was a bug-ridden, GPU-maxing mess of a Unity title and I didn't care because of the quality behind the technical snafus.

Unity reminds me of Java.

A lot of people swear by it - and claim it's perfectly capable of great performance.

It's just that I've never seen an example of that in real life ;)
A vast majority of server based web applications and UIs are using Java. you won't be seeing it is Java, but it certainly is one of the most used languages in web development. There are also various tool sets that build upon java to ease its use.

So, I don't think Unity is anywhere near Java ;)

A vast majority of web applications and UIs are using Java. you won't be seeing it is Java, but it certainly is one of the most used languages in web development. There are also various tool sets that build upon java to ease its use.

So, I don't think Unity is anywhere near Java ;)

I know that. I'm quite the IT dude, after all.

I'm talking about games developed in Java. They perform like ass, in my experience.

That said, I think the claims died down a number of years ago. But there was a time when a lot of Java developers treated it like gold - and I've had endless discussions about why it's not a great language for games.

Oh right. In that case I agree :)
I think people should stop using Java on anything that is not a server or an embedded platform. Beside its non optimal performance its runtime engine isn't very secure.

Java is fine for non-cpu applications and I've written quite a few internet applications in Java (these are i/o bound not cpu bound). Where java has issue is when you need efficient access to the metal (low level resources) or pure cpu performance. Games actually use a fair amount of processor power (esp gpu) but most business application are relatively light on cpu requirement.

Java needs to die already.
Just as any awsome idea with bad execution, it ended up in cancerous performace on any setup.

Don't ask me what's an alternative as I don't know nor honestly care. All I want it to be removed from systems.

This engine stuff is irrelevant to me...all I know is that Wasteland 2 ran excellently on my system, and so if that is the unity engine, I like it. And from the brief time I have spent with Torment: Tides of Numenera, it is just as smooth in the game performance. Maybe people who complain about unity have older systems or slower systems or something.

Back
Top Bottom