Tech news

This should interest the glyph (the red one):

"Inside the hat is a 6-axis inertial sensor that can read the hat's positioning. The wearer turns the hat to the left and right, and each angle represents a different character code. Then, the wearer presses the top of the hat"

However:
"Google isn't making this product. Instead, the Gboard CAPS project is another of Google Japan's joke keyboard ideas, like the 5.25-foot-long, single-row Gboard Stick Version keyboard shown off last year, used to promote Google's Gboard app. However, Google Japan seemingly prototyped the keyboard in real life. Everything you need to make this typing topper, including the firmware and hardware, is open source and available on GitHub."

pibbuR who thinks life would be much easier if everybody used the Norwegian keyboard. Preferably without visible cap labels.

PS.
The single row keyboard:
image3-800x534.jpg

DS.

Last edited:
I'll never understand them...
I’ve now been there 12 times. Six for work (1986-1997) and 6 for vacation with my partner. I don’t profess to understand the country, but when the head of Sony was asked about the invention of the Walkman he said something like “so your music would not disturb other people”, a touch contrary to boomboxes on shoulders in subways

Google makes passkeys the default sign-in for personal accounts

Question: Do I want this? If my laptop get stollen and someone somehow manages to access it, they have access to all passkey pprotected accounnts. I thought it would be better to have one login for my PC and different ones for other services.

pibbuR who probably doesn't know what he's talking about here, but in general uses good paswords which he actually remembers.

"Google recorded the heaviest assault at over 398 million requests per second, which it says is more than seven times larger than any such attack it has recorded before"

pibbuR who (happily) realizes he can't be accused of doing things like that on his own.

Google makes passkeys the default sign-in for personal accounts

Question: Do I want this? If my laptop get stollen and someone somehow manages to access it, they have access to all passkey pprotected accounnts. I thought it would be better to have one login for my PC and different ones for other services.

pibbuR who probably doesn't know what he's talking about here, but in general uses good paswords which he actually remembers.
I'm not sure either. It seems to require you to unlock your phone, which makes this device more and more a single point of failure. If I lose my phone or if it breaks down, I can't access my bank any more, nor a series of websites based on 2-factor authentication that requires a phone app. With this system, I probably can't access my emails either.

Is it really more secure? To unlock the phone, they allow a pin, fingerprints or facial recognition, but cryptographers have warned us for decades that the 2 last options aren't suitable for authentication (only identification, at best).

Now, there are other, much sexier solutions. ;)

A couple of quotes:
"Today, a startup called Atom Computing announced that it has been doing internal testing of a 1,180 qubit quantum computer ... it won't be possible to run an algorithm that relies on the full qubit count without it failing due to an error."

Reminds me of a game....

And it's not exactly a PC:
"The qubits are housed in a 12×5 foot box that contains the lasers and optics, along with the vacuum system and a bit of unused space."

AtomBox-980x737.jpg

And it's not exactly cheap (although price isn't mentioned).

pibbuR who realizes that he won't be able to buy one next year as a 70 year gift. A Ryzen 8950x and an RTX 5090 (Ti?) OTOH ...

Last edited:
But can it run Quake? ;)

This is disturbing:

And, Bloom adds, "We think that the amount of challenge we had to face to go from 100 to 1,000 is probably significantly higher than the amount of challenges we're gonna face when going to whatever we want to go to next—10,000, 100,000."

In order to break RSA and elliptic curve cryptography, it would only require one or two additional orders of magnitude (let's say 10^7, though I've seen many different estimations). It doesn't look very far away.

But can it run Quake? ;)
Algorithms are probably very different, but I'm sure someone has considered doing that.

What I do think, is that quantum computer might be useful for "proof by computer" projects (like the 4-colour problem) in mathematics, especially if they can solve NP complete problems in polynomic time. It has been suggested, but according to "https://quantumcomputing.stackexcha...n-quantum-computer-solve-np-complete-problems" is now "widely believed" (but not proven) to be impossible.

pibbuR who thinks that finding the shortest/fastest way to visit all his 80 billion brain neurons is currently out of them question.

PS. Some claim that said computer might be able to solve some NP-complete problems in polynomic time, which of course means that every NP-complete problem can be solved that way. DS.

Last edited:
Does the pig have lipsti
Hell freezes over:

pibbuR who in his record collection has a picture of a flying pig.
does the pig have lipstick? Here, to put lipstick on a pig is to make something inherently ug or unworkable have a cosmetic patch But it’s still a pig.

Don't know about the lipstick, but it's inflatable and heavily decorated

Observe that this video is highly poitically incorrect in circles not liking Roger Waters.

pibbuR who has heard that pigs are available as pets, but still prefer cats. Even dogs.

PS. In Norway we have a saying "ligner ikke grisen" - "doesn't look like a pig". You are excused (unless being a Norwegian, of course) if you think that this is a compliment - it's not. Definitely not. On the other hand "looking like a pig"....

"My ex didn't look like a pig. My current one does."

DS.

For computers supporting pens.

"Honey, get hip! It's time to unzip
To unzip, zip, zip-a-zip-a-zip
Whoopee!
" (guess where this comes from).

And:
"And everything I don't understand, I got from cricket" (CodeProject)

pibbuR who assumes we can now compress things manually.

Back
Top Bottom