The Last Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

Welp...that was lame. Vegas blew them right off the ice tonight.

I hate that Vegas just won the Cup in only their 5th season of existence. I was really hoping Florida could pull it off.

Also, keep in mind that Bill Foley, of the Vegas Knights, did follow through on what he promised back in twenty seventeen. I call that a major accomplishment and, even if Vegas never repeats, no one can tarnish that legacy.

The only other team to do the same, and did it some decades ago, were the Edmonton Oilers. With a brash, young star named Gretzky.

Food for thought. Next year shouldn't be boring.

I always get so excited for the start of baseball season. It makes me absolutely giddy!
Yessiree, Bob. Because we all know what that means.

Yes! It's the start of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. And even Shohei Ohtani is giving +100 points to Jontay Porter for a possible upset, whatever that means (just remember to know your limit, and stay within it).

1713501896381.jpeg
The big story to start is strangely enough the team that plays for The Arizona Coyotes will be playing in Salt Lake City next season to be called the Utah something or others. The Desert Dogs are still not officially done yet. They will be registered as "inactive" as ownership has 5 years to to find an arena in the area by blackmailing taxpayers to pay for it and give them and a cut. Not easy as there appear to be a lot of corrupt politicians in the region trying to gain control of the franchise for their favourite and stabbing their rivals in the back. They seem to be content to burn the place down rather than let someone else fleece The People.

This year sees The Rangers finish with the President's Trophy, squeaking out their rivals Florida. Dallas wins in the West and it looks like it's the West's to win with so much good competition coming from my side.
Boston seems to have learned their lesson to save some for the playoffs.
The Canucks managed to overcome the Benning curse after 10 years (not counting the bubble) to become a contender. The Laffs are once again planning the parade. This year they look to be a contender and goaltending/defense seems less of an issue. Matthews did not look injured!
The Oilers Cup or Bust was almost derailed at the beginning of the season with some seriously embarrassing losses but the addition of the embarrassing Corey Perry and the embarrassing drama of the firing the coach in favour of McDavid's high school one turned the team around.
The Eastern Wild Cards were a race of 4 teams down to game 81. Is this good or bad for NHL. Most think it stinks. But most also think 3 points for a regulation win will not be seriously bad for hockey (which it practice it has proved to be as every coach turtles with a lead in test games).

Games start on Saturday? Who are your picks?
Shall we start a pool?

The Oilers tend to play against the Kings well, so I've hopes they'll take the next upcoming series. That loss last night though against the Avalanche was painful to witness.

Right now one of my fears is that in two months it might boil down to the Hurricanes vs Stars, simply going on squad strength. I really hope to be wrong!

For me it is always LEAFS all the way!!!! But then I'm an eternal optimist as I still remember when they last won the cup!!

The Red Wings missed the payoffs by a tiebreaker. They finished with the same point total as Washington, but the Capitals got the last playoff spot due to having more wins in regulation despite having 1 less win overall. That doesn't seem right to me.

Poor Leafs always seem to draw a Florida team or, in this case, the Beaner squad. Needless to say I hope Boston gets clobbered!

My super secret stealth pick might have to be the Predators, they could link up with some of that earlier season magic and run the entire gauntlet, if fates smile upon them.

I'm hoping Boston makes a better showing than last year (also true for hoops)

Back
Top Bottom